ohl hockey guy

Longest since last find

1,378 posts in this topic

The list is getting unmanageably long, folks.  If the trend continues next month, I'll probably change to a list of caches that have gone 18 months without being found, instead of just 12 months.

Maybe if more cachers made it their goal to get some of these off of the list, the list could become manageable again.   I know that kirbydox has been trying to concentrate on this list a bit and knock a few off each month.  She's really getting into solving those puzzles and getting them found again.  Maybe when OSC gets their boat, they can go after some of them that require crossing water to get to. 

HEY!  WE'RE GETTING A BOAT?  COOL!!!  WOO HOO A FREE BOAT!!! YEAH!!!! OHBOY OHBOY OHBOY...

um, it's not us.  :( :'(    Don't you mean davarle?  ???

The list is getting unmanageably long, folks.  If the trend continues next month, I'll probably change to a list of caches that have gone 18 months without being found, instead of just 12 months.

Maybe if more cachers made it their goal to get some of these off of the list, the list could become manageable again.   I know that kirbydox has been trying to concentrate on this list a bit and knock a few off each month.  She's really getting into solving those puzzles and getting them found again.  Maybe when OSC gets their boat, they can go after some of them that require crossing water to get to. 

We need more puzzle solvers! I have worked several of the puzzles and looked for them but I need to recheck my answers and try them again. That's why I like the puzzles that have Evince or Geochecker. When you don't have confidence in your numbers and it hasn't been found in over a year, it's hard to spend more than half an hour looking. (For some of these that just means more time for the snakes to find me!! ??? ???)

We've been keeping a list of puzzles that we solve but haven't gone after yet...most of them are not on HC's list...however, we've tried a few that ARE on the list and have had mixed results...

HEY!  WE'RE GETTING A BOAT?  COOL!!!  WOO HOO A FREE BOAT!!! YEAH!!!! OHBOY OHBOY OHBOY...

um, it's not us.   :( :'(     Don't you mean davarle?  ???

On the one's that we definately KNOW to be missing, why don't we request an archive? That way, PR can take it out and we can either place a new one.

On the one's that we definately KNOW to be missing, why don't we request an archive? That way, PR can take it out and we can either place a new one.

I've done that on a few.  I hate to NA a cache if I haven't at least looked for it.  One of the ones that PR disabled this month had 14 DNF's.

I've thought of emailing the some of the cache owners and imploring them to check on their caches.  A few of them frequent this forum...  :-\

I've done that on a few.  I hate to NA a cache if I haven't at least looked for it.  One of the ones that PR disabled this month had 14 DNF's.

I've thought of emailing the some of the cache owners and imploring them to check on their caches.  A few of them frequent this forum...  :-\

I think that would be a good idea.  Contact them all and ask them to please check.  If they check they should post a log saying that they had checked and all is well or that it's missing.  If it's still there, I'm sure it will then start getting some business again.  For those that have a lot of DNFs and the owner won't respond, then it might be time to get PR to get involved. 

• Pearl Lake GCJ4PC - last found on 7/3/06 by GrangerFam with a recent DNF by Team Tulip, who reports that the cache is "definitely gone". 

This one should be archived.  It really is not there any more.

• Trees of Oak Lake GCRRVM - last found on 9/2/06 by nitemonster.

• I sent a message to the cache owner last month but got no response.

• The lone ranger GCW3BH - was last found on 1/19/07 by The Popeteers with 3 DNF's since.

• Time's a Wastin' GCMA2X - was last found on 1/28/07 by GrangerFam.

• This was an excellent cache puzzle and hunt.  I recommend it.

• The Spot We Found! GCH97J - was last found on 2/9/07 by Benttandem.  I believe this cache was previously known as "Chance Encounter"

• I’m going for this one…anybody going to beat me?

• CHIN GI GCRN9E - was last found on 3/6/07 by dragonhunter223.

• Another excellent puzzle

• Double Shot GCKGFZ - was last found on 3/10/07 by teamCull and Jarihend with one DNF since.

• The one DNF was mine.  I asked for some help from Dreamcachers, but didn’t get a response.  I think I’ll ping them again.

• Enchanted Paradise GCW51B - was last found on 3/11/07 by Jarihend with one DNF since (by me).

• bellaire multi-cache GCHDPF - was last found on 3/16/07 by teampants with a couple of DNF's since.

• Where’s MaggieB?

• LH 3 -- Travis Park GCGATW - was last found on 3/16/07 by texaslandrover and kd&prettierhalf with three DNF's since.

• Come on TDW!  This is your adopted cache!

• Enchanted Paradise II GCYK00 - was last found on 3/17/07 by CindyFrag and cybercat with three DNF's since.

• Transit of Venus GCJMXW - was last found on 3/17/07 by CindyFrag and cybercat

• This is an excellent cache.  Fendmar needs to hurry up and get it done.

• ODS: {Donnie Darko} GC10A2K - was last found on 3/24/07 by Piman314.

• Interesting cache.  If you like weird, cult movies, check out the film.  I enjoyed it, so not sure what that says about me.

• The Spot We Found! GCH97J - was last found on 2/9/07 by Benttandem.  I believe this cache was previously known as "Chance Encounter"

• Interesting cache.  If you like weird, cult movies, check out the film.  I enjoyed it, so not sure what that says about me.

I solved The Spot We Found but haven't taken the time to go look for it. I'm sure you'll beat me to it!!!

I think I solved ODS: Donnie Darko but don't have a C# compiler so I emailed the owner and got a generic "everyone forgets that there are no spaces in the author's name" which I already knew and took into account. This was in January and he hasn't answered back, so I've been waiting for my son to have some free time to run the program for me at his school.

I solved The Spot We Found but haven't taken the time to go look for it. I'm sure you'll beat me to it!!!

I think I solved ODS: Donnie Darko but don't have a C# compiler so I emailed the owner and got a generic "everyone forgets that there are no spaces in the author's name" which I already knew and took into account. This was in January and he hasn't answered back, so I've been waiting for my son to have some free time to run the program for me at his school.

If you send me your Darko coordinates I can tell you if you are right..I think.  I can't remember the coordinates exactly, but can GE the result to see if it looks right.

If you send me your Darko coordinates I can tell you if you are right..I think.  I can't remember the coordinates exactly, but can GE the result to see if it looks right.

Oh boy! Email sent. Thank you!!!!

Armand Bayou (GC11EE) I believe should be archived as I have contacted the owner twice with no response. The cache also appears to be on private property behind a no tresspassing sign now.

Armand Bayou (GC11EE) I believe should be archived as I have contacted the owner twice with no response. The cache also appears to be on private property behind a no tresspassing sign now.

That ought to be justification enough to email PR.  Let's don't just talk about getting these taken care of.  Let's do it.  If you've checked it out, then you need to be the one to send the email.  (That goes for all of us on these caches). 

I replaced his dilapidated original container with an ammo can a couple of years back.  There was a lot of kiddie activity in the area, so I'm sure it's been discovered and stolen.  Paul Ag doesn't cache anymore, so that one is probably deserving of an NA (Needs Archiving).

I replaced his dilapidated original container with an ammo can a couple of years back.  There was a lot of kiddie activity in the area, so I'm sure it's been discovered and stolen.  Paul Ag doesn't cache anymore, so that one is probably deserving of an NA (Needs Archiving).

Done.

Done.

Thanks for taking it on. 

Maybe, some time this month I when I am "test driving" my jeep I will check on the two closest to my house that I have found. Those two are the Where and the Cedar Hill on Charlotte caches. When/if I do I will post it here.

Maybe, some time this month I when I am "test driving" my jeep I will check on the two closest to my house that I have found. Those two are the Where and the Cedar Hill on Charlotte caches. When/if I do I will post it here.

I looked at Where and No Smoking a couple of days ago.  As far as I can tell, the only way to get to them is to drive down a gravel driveway off of Mallet Ln. -- a driveway that is clearly marked with a "Posted - No Trespassing - Keep Out" sign.

7e12ed2f-beaf-4639-8fd3-37fb61c77a31.jpg

I posted a "Needs Archived" on No Smoking.

Done.

Wow.  PR archived Armand Bayou already! :o

I posted "needs archived" (sic) notes for the following caches:

Pearl Lake GCJ4PC

Trees of Oak Lake GCRRVM

The lone ranger GCW3BH

Enchanted Paradise II GCYK00

I will try to check on Enchanted Paradise (the first one) before posting.

Pearl Lake GCJ4PC

Trees of Oak Lake GCRRVM

The lone ranger GCW3BH

Well...Bosun immediately deleted my log...

Bosun...I love your caches.  Please maintain this one or archive it!

Pearl Lake GCJ4PC

Trees of Oak Lake GCRRVM

The lone ranger GCW3BH

Well at least we know that Bosun is still active :tickedoff:

Just an idea:

How about we form a CacheSavers committee that organizes a mini-event where we all get together and discuss ways to save/adopt caches as well as contact cachers that may have dropped off for any number of reasons.  This has been done elsewhere in the country.

You get with PR, too, to coordinate some of this.

This way the community wins because some great caches are saved and some of the geo-litter is removed, all the while keeping any angst down because no one wants to be perceived badly or as vindictive.

We've never hosted an event (yet) so we're not sure of all the details but would be happy to be part of forming up such a committee and being involved.  :)

Pearl Lake GCJ4PC

Trees of Oak Lake GCRRVM

The lone ranger GCW3BH

Well at least we know that Bosun is still active :tickedoff:

I'm still using my Bosun cane and "red carpet treatment" and "valued cache" are 2 of my favorite caches.  They taught me that you didn't always have to use 35mm film canisters...  :-)

Just an idea:

How about we form a CacheSavers committee that organizes a mini-event where we all get together and discuss ways to save/adopt caches as well as contact cachers that may have dropped off for any number of reasons.  This has been done elsewhere in the country.

You get with PR, too, to coordinate some of this.

This way the community wins because some great caches are saved and some of the geo-litter is removed, all the while keeping any angst down because no one wants to be perceived badly or as vindictive.

We've never hosted an event (yet) so we're not sure of all the details but would be happy to be part of forming up such a committee and being involved.  :)

I'd rather just piss people off....

j/k

To my mind there are two things to look at:

How about we form a CacheSavers committee that organizes a mini-event where we all get together and discuss ways to save/adopt caches ...

I don't think there needs to be a committee to fix caches that you want to save.  If you really want to see a cache maintained,  maintain it.  You don't have to be the owner to replace the container for a neglected or orphaned cache. If the log sheet is full, add more paper. I know you also (as have I) added baggies to a cache, or tried to dry out a log book.  I have repaired caches that I wanted to see remain active. 

Now a committee for:

I am certainly in favor of cleaning up the geo-litter.  We have all seen people who get really excited about geocaching, place caches and in a couple of months disappear but the cache is still there.  When it needs fixing up or removal who does it.  Of course anyone could help out but the idea of a group working with PR is good.    You can count me in for helping clean up the geo-litter.

--Wendel