Frances is in the hospital

120 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Francis UPDATE:

Just returned from the hospital. We were playing "follow me"...  O0 I would rub her hand and then she would rub my thumb with her thumb. We did this several times and all the while, I was updating her on the nonsense news... like Brittany having a baby, Brad and Jen thinking about getting married. Silly stuff like that. She tried to smile, didn't make eye contact though. I think cool pictures on the ceiling would be a cute idea....  :) I read her some of the last logs in the logbook, just to keep her updated. Told her that I would return and continue my monologue about the nonsensical happenings around Houston and the country. Nothing too serious. She is hooked up to the breathing machine and sometimes tries to fight it I think. All in all, she looks good and we "chatted" for about 20 minutes today at lunch. I will try to get back out there first part of next week.

gsguru

Posted · Report post

Francis UPDATE:

Just returned from the hospital. We were playing "follow me"...  O0 I would rub her hand and then she would rub my thumb with her thumb. We did this several times and all the while, I was updating her on the nonsense news... like Brittany having a baby, Brad and Jen thinking about getting married. Silly stuff like that. She tried to smile, didn't make eye contact though. I think cool pictures on the ceiling would be a cute idea....  :) I read her some of the last logs in the logbook, just to keep her updated. Told her that I would return and continue my monologue about the nonsensical happenings around Houston and the country. Nothing too serious. She is hooked up to the breathing machine and sometimes tries to fight it I think. All in all, she looks good and we "chatted" for about 20 minutes today at lunch. I will try to get back out there first part of next week.

gsguru

How very thoughtful....good job GSGuru!

Posted · Report post

Yesterday they ran me out of the room within 5 minuets of getting there to do a procedure. When the doctor came out they said they gave her a sedative and she would probably sleep the rest of the night. The nurse was a real dweeb and I don’t think she could really be that stupid but just didn’t want to bother talking to me. The nurse was great tonight and explained a lot of things to me. So here goes.

Yesterday was a busy day; they did a CAT scan, put in a trach and a feeding tube. They are weaning her off the ventilator but they don’t like to leave a tube in your throat too long as it can scar your vocal cords. The feeding tube in the nose can be a major source of infection so they wanted to get it out also, besides they said she would be a lot more comfortable. The nurse said she missed the neurosurgeon because he came a 5:00am but she deciphered his notes for me. Short story is the brain is still swollen but the swelling has decreased. This is good news because the cat scan showed a slight increase from the Thursday one and was the same as Saturday Monday. The doctor came in Monday before the CAT scan results were in and he said he expected it to be the same or slightly more as Monday should be her worse day.

This evening she was awake most of the time I was there. I told her about all of the geocachers that have been up to visit her. She even tried to tell me something but nothing came out and she made a big frown. The best part of tonight was when I puckered my lips and made a smack like I was giving her a kiss and she did the same thing back at me. That has to be the best kiss I ever got.

Thanks for all the support from you geocachers, as you know we refer to you as our extended family. God bless all.

Sam

Posted · Report post

Stan and I went by to see Frances tonight.  We also found out about another friend in St. Luke's in ICU on the 2nd floor, so we visited him too.  We got there just after 6 p.m. and realized we had just missed official visiting hours, but were told that they were very strict, so we thought we would go on in and see Frances.  A nurse was trying to do response tests on her, but it appeared that Frances was pretty sound asleep at that time and we didn't want to wake her and disturb her needed rest.  We decided to go eat in the cafeteria and come back up closer to visiting hours at 8 p.m.  We came back and she was awake.  We spoke with her  briefly and then the doctor came to give her a breathing treatment.  She looked much better than she did earlier in the week.  I felt so inadequate trying to talk to her.  I really didn't know what to say to her that would offer her comfort.  We hope that she knows that we were there and that we continue to think about her.   We signed her visitor's book.  Hopefully, when she is wider awake in a few days, someone will read her the well wishes in her book.   Get well soon Frances.  As I was writing this and began to post, Sam had posted his note.  Thanks for filling us in.  Sam, we're sorry we missed you. 

Posted · Report post

All of this is GREAT news. Thanks everyone for the continued updates. I HOPE to get back over there Saturday or Sunday. :D

Posted · Report post

Sam - glad you are keeping us updated via HGCS.  We are currently in OKC visiting Still Not Interested (our daughter), but are keeping you both in our thoughts and prayers daily.  Keep hanging in there and just remember that recovery can be very slow!

PlusOne is very glad we ran into Fran at Wal-mart just before the last event.  Please tell her that the hug she got that day is being thought of daily and coming back her way 10 fold!

ParkerPlus, PlusOne & Still Not Interested!

P.S.  Sam please remember that you need to take care of yourself during all of this too!  That is a very important part of the process as a caregiver!  PlusOne

Posted · Report post

Need imput, need imput!

How's Frances doing?

and How's Sam doing also??

WCB

Posted · Report post

Frances Update

Monday she had both eyes open, before she was only opening her left eye. Yesterday when I got up there they had her sitting in a chair. I asked her if she liked sitting in a chair better than laying down and she nodded her head yes.

Monday they said she probably had two more weeks in ICU and then to progressive care (that’s an intermediated care). They had her off the medication to keep her blood pressure up and they continue to wean her off the ventilator.

As of last night they plan on going through the storm as normal operation. At least after Hurricane Allison they built their generating plant elevated where as it had been in the basement. Tonight may be the last time I will be able to see her for a few days. I need to secure the house tomorrow night and if I stay there it may be a few days before I can get out. I haven’t decided yet still just watching Rita.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the update Sam.  It is encouraging that they had Frances sitting in a chair. 

Posted · Report post

That is such great news about Francis. We'll be prayin for ya'll...keep us posted if ya can Sam during the hurricane!

Posted · Report post

Sam///Please secure the house then get the hell out of there.LOL we do not nee a second morrow to worry about. If you, and or Bry(i)an and his wife, need a place to stay let us know. If you decide to stay in La Porte, against the manditory evac., let us no so Snoogans and I will know if we need to paddle some supplies in to you on Sunday :o. My cell number should be in your cell phone.

Posted · Report post

The last time I saw Frances was Tuesday night. Friday they were moving all ICU patients to a central location. Today when I talked to her nurse she was back in 7 South 4. The nurse said she was doing fine. I am going to try to get down there tomorrow. Frances sure is missing out on a lot of excitement.

Posted · Report post

Sam,  Thanks for the update.  Glad you, Biran and his wife made it alright and that Frances was well take care of.  I am still stuck in Austin.  Mayor White says I should not return until Monday.  I will be changing Hotels.  My daughter will be flying back to college via Austin.

Posted · Report post

Correction, I was at the hospital Wednesday. I am having a hard time remembering what day it is. Sock Puppet, come home when you want to, the weather is fime here.

Posted · Report post

Sam,  Thanks for the update.  Glad you, Biran and his wife made it alright and that Frances was well take care of.  I am still stuck in Austin.  Mayor White says I should not return until Monday.  I will be changing Hotels.  My daughter will be flying back to college via Austin.

I'm glad to see you all weathered the storm well Sam, I was thinkin about you. HOpe you get to see Francis soon, and I'm glad to hear your update!

SP...Well....there's no reason to come back really....most places were shut down, only 1 grocery store open, no gas, no school here till wednesday. Just don't get yerself stuck in another traffic jam. How'd ya do gettin outa town?

Posted · Report post

Well we tried to go US90A thru Richmond/Rosenburg to I71.  I eneded up going 59 south towards El Campo.  I had jotted down a backroad 102.  It takes you thru some really interesting places. Got to I-10 and struggled for 5 miles to I71 which was fine until Austin.  I ham thinking of I-71 to US 59 on the return trip.

I guess we will stock up on food and stuff in Austin before we leave to return to Houston.

Posted · Report post

I am still stuck in Austin.  Mayor White says I should not return until Monday.  I will be changing Hotels.  My daughter will be flying back to college via Austin.

Sockpuppet, I wouldn't worry about what the mayor says about return if you have enough gas to get back.  We decided to return yesterday before we got stuck in the parking lot traffic returning to Houston.  It was a good choice.  We have plenty of food and we have power, so everything is pretty normal at home.  Do make sure you have plenty of gas before you return in case you get caught in bumper to bumper traffic. 

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the heads-up.  I dropped my daughter off at the Austin airport to fly back to Califfornia for school.  I drove 25 miles to a Bastrop Hotel and will leave tomorrow for Houston.

Good needs about food and fuel.

Posted · Report post

Well i see we all made it thru Rita ..except has anyone heard from Cary-Babslover?

:angel: Just a note to let all Fellow Geocachers know that September 27 is Francis Birthday.Keep the Prayers coming for her recovery...

Posted · Report post

Well i see we all made it thru Rita ..except has anyone heard from Cary-Babslover?

:angel: Just a note to let all Fellow Geocachers know that September 27 is Francis Birthday.Keep the Prayers coming for her recovery...

Joy posted in another thread (the Rita one) that Babs is at her sister's in Tyler.

Posted · Report post

Been awhile since an update on Frances so here goes:

I left town Thursday and didn’t get back up to see her until Sunday. She was pretty tired when I got there but Jim and Deb (Terratreckers) had been there earlier and Deb said she read the logbook to Frances and would ask if she remembered the cacher, Deb said she would nod yes or no. Tuesday she had a fever and slept the whole time I was there so I didn’t even open her birthday cards. The nurse said the doctors had released her to go to intermediate care but they didn’t have a room available so she stayed in ICU. I also talked to two of the rehabilitation hospital representatives Tuesday night.

I left work about 2:00pm and went to the hospital. I really go concerned when I went into the room and didn’t see all the lights on the ventilator. Finally noticed the air tube was not on the ventilator but to the oxygen on he wall. When the nurse came in she told me they had the vent just help inflate her lungs at about 8:30am and then took her off it about 12:30pm. The other good news is the neurosurgeon wanted a CT tonight and the Cardiologist an Angiogram tonight. They will look at them in the morning and then pow-wow. If everything looks good, and they think it will, she will go to a rehabilitation hospital possibly tomorrow just skipping intermediate care. I was on such an emotional high when I left I could of flew home.

On a side note: I read her B-day cards from several cachers, mom and myself to her. You could tell she was listening but didn’t have any real facial expressions. The last one was one with a picture of a dog on the front, I read it and said it was signed “Hugs from Bear and Kisses from Heidi”. She got the biggest smile on her face. I sure know where I am on the totem pole now.

Posted · Report post

Fantastic News. Please tell her that we are thinking about her and she is definately in our prayers. Sam, keep up your spirits and all will be right.  O0 I am sitting here grinning from ear to ear knowing that she is getting the best love and the best care possible.

Your geofamily

gsguru AKA Diane

Posted · Report post

That is awesome Sam!!!! Please tell her that Michelle and I are thinking about her, and you too, everyday. The wedding plans are coming along, things are hectic, and you guys are in our thoughts and prayers.

Posted · Report post

Mynda (Salmongirl) and I went to see Frances tonight. (9/28) I noticed her room had changed to 7 South ICU 5 bed 8.

We brought her a Famnig (A stuffed pillow shaped like a heart with 2 arms to hug.) from Ikea and a vase with some fake calalillies in it. (No real plants allowed in ICU) I noticed that her new kitchen wallpaper was calalillies, so I hope she likes them.

She got one eye open and then both and even smiled. She was moving her right arm and leg a bunch. She has pretty good control of her right hand and looked soooooo much better than the last time I saw her.

We signed the log and read some entries to her. I passed an Ohio geocoin on to her that JoGPS wanted her to have. She even motioned to have a closer look at it. I taped the coin into the log book. She really likes to look at the dog pictures and I promised her a picture of Cujo.

Mostly we just talked to her. She really responds now and smiled again when I told her I had bought a turtle hand puppet to chase her around with at events. She really seems to like the nurse that checked up on her at about 8:45. She smiled big for her too.

She was still wide awake when we left at about 9:25, so I could get Mynda back to her car and I could get to work at 10:00. I hated to leave, but I was glad to see her doing so much better. I just bet she'll be attending events way before her therapy is finished. I told her not to be too mean to her therapists. ;)