Frances is in the hospital

120 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

We just returned from the hospital. Frances is still unconscious but they have upgraded her condition from critical to serious.    O0

Jim & Deb

Posted · Report post

Hello from Sam. I thought I would bring the laptop up to the hospital and do this.

Frances had another cat scan last night and the neurosurgeon was real pleased with the results. Most of the blood has drained from her brain and there has been no new bleeding. He said he would consider her condition upgraded from critical to serious and her condition is no longer life threatening. Of course he said something strange could happen but the chances are low. He also said he does not foresee ant more surgery.

The bad news is she might still be in a coma for up to two weeks and then another couple of weeks in ICU. They may put a trach in next week; they said it would be more comfortable for her. She could breathe on her own but it would be shallow and make it easier for her to get pneumonia.  The neurologist said at least the hemorrhage was on the right side. Speech problems and paralysis is more likely for damage on the left side. Still it could take up to 1 ½ years for her to completely .Guess you won’t see us on the trails for awhile.

Her family amazing, the closest is Luling and the farthest Joplin, MO but the three brothers, sister, sister-in-law, and both daughters were here the same day. Then there is her extended family of geocachers. The geocachers have been great, many have been in to see her even though it is not a pretty sight. Heck we almost had an event tonight. Joy Rose and Hubby Bull, Muddy Buddies, Texas_Secy and of course Terra Treckers (who have been there nearly every day) were all there today. There is also all the interest in how she is doing from those near and far. God Bless You All.

On a side note Frances said she was going to stop smoking this week. Her method seems rather extreme to me but it has been very effective.

Posted · Report post

Hey guys:  let's send Fran greetings via the St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital website. That way when she wakes up, she'll see how much we're praying for her, thinking of her and missing her company.  The link is:

(tinyurl link)

If this doesn't work, go to:

http://www.sleh.com/sleh/index.cfm

Page down, and click on "send eGreeting to a Patient"

momJ of Team_J

Posted · Report post

Blackbelt and I visited Fran Saturday. We can't lose sight of the fact that she is still very serious, but I thought she looked great.  The swelling continues to go down and the fact that she is no longer critical means our prayers are being answered!

Sam, we are here for you if you need us!

Love to Fran when she wakes up!

Cary

Posted · Report post

I really appreciate all the updates regarding  Fran here on the site.  Being way up here at FT Hood makes it hard not knowing how she is doing and all you in Houston have made it great keeping us out of towners up to date.  Asou know the hospital won't tell you a thing when you call.  Thanks!!

Sam you both stay in our prayers always

Tktrekker

Posted · Report post

I posted an eGreeting on the website (thanks Babslover).

Does anyone have a video recorder for the Summer Celebration? Thought we could put together a get well greeting or something along those lines. Whatcha think??

Posted · Report post

According to Joyrose, Frances woke up this morning around 3am and is responding to meds, etc.. However she is sleeping now..  O0

Posted · Report post

Fantastic news. Our prayers are working. Keep em coming. Thanks for the update.

gsguru

Posted · Report post

According to Joyrose, Frances woke up this morning around 3am and is responding to meds, etc.. However she is sleeping now..  O0

Fantastic new on Frances.  Also keep Sam and his family in your prayers.

Posted · Report post

I have a digital recorder I can bring with me if someone will volunteer to be the camera person

;)O0

Posted · Report post

I posted an eGreeting on the website (thanks Babslover).

I left a message also that is a wonderful message center they have and very easy to do.

Posted · Report post

Hello everyone, I should be sleeping but I am getting used to sleep deprivation.

Great news today, the ICU doctor told me that she woke up about 3:00am and responded to nurses. Around noon she would open her eyes when they would turn her and this afternoon she was awake and squeezed Bulls hand when he asked her to. Friday the neurosurgeon said it might be a couple of weeks before she woke up. He doesn’t know what a tough old girl she is.

P.S. Thanks to Snoogans there is a logbook sitting on her window sill. Any of you that go up be sure to sign it.

Posted · Report post

Hello everyone, I should be sleeping but I am getting used to sleep deprivation.

Great news today, the ICU doctor told me that she woke up about 3:00am and responded to nurses. Around noon she would open her eyes when they would turn her and this afternoon she was awake and squeezed Bulls hand when he asked her to. Friday the neurosurgeon said it might be a couple of weeks before she woke up. He doesn’t know what a tough old girl she is.

P.S. Thanks to Snoogans there is a logbook sitting on her window sill. Any of you that go up be sure to sign it.

MANNNNNnnnnn, that's great news. She stirred a little while I was there and she had rapid eye movement as if she was dreaming. She didn't respond to me squeezing her hand or talking to her though.

The nurses let me stay until 6:30 (30 minutes past visiting hours) because I had only just gotten there at 5:30.

After I got home, I talked with a friend who is an ICU nurse and she explained a little better some of the things I observed in the hour that I was there. I felt cautiously optimistic after talking to her.  :)

BTW- I have a log book and a card for Carolyn as well. I just found out that she is back at home, so maybe I'll put that one in Frances' room too so folks can leave a note Carolyn too.

Posted · Report post

Sorry about the moderation here, I've split the "get well video" messages into their own topic. Some folks are watching this thread for updates on Frances via xml or email notifications. Its important that they only get the updates and not all the other chatter. Hope you understand. You can view the new topic about the video » HERE

Posted · Report post

Frances Update.

Her responses and wake periods are about the same as yesterday. The good news is they removed the tubes from her head, the IV’s that were in her neck are gone and yesterday she was on two medications to keep her blood pressure up but now she is off them and the BP is fine. There is only four items hanging from the IV stand and one is a nutrition thing. For awhile the IV stand reminded me of B&B’s Christmas Tree Cache.

Posted · Report post

Not much change today except yesterday I printed a picture of Bear and Heidi and she didn't respond to it. Today she started trying to cry when she saw it. I thought it was a good idea, guess not.

Posted · Report post

wow!  just got on for the first time tonight and read all the discussion about frances and carolyn.  i was crying from the get go...becasue this is such a hard thing to happen to anyone's family but also because of the outpouring of concern for one of our own.  i add my prayers as well and am glad to read that frances has started responding!

pray hard, everybody!  i loved your mom's prayer, fivesecrethunters!  thanks so much for the updates.

maggie

Posted · Report post

Just an update on Francis.Went up today to see her and Shadowcacher came in behind me.We stayed till 6pm and Francis seemed to respond to ours questions by squeezing our hands.She can hear everything going on around her and when she was shown the picture of her baby's Teddy(BEAR) and Heidi she tryed to cry tears of joy i think.She really misses them and Sam.We were talking to her and i had her hand and ask Sam to grab hold of it while i positioned her leggs more comfortable.Sam leaned down and kissed her and she tryed to smile.Her color seems to be coming back and she tryed to talk to me and Shadowcacher,but had to calm her down because she got all excited.Please keep her in your Prayers!!!!

Francy get well and come home soon..We Love and Miss You!!!

Posted · Report post

:)Checking in daily to check on our girl!  :) Thanks everyone that has posted updates.  I was sooooo excited to get Deb's call that she had woke up.  SigJ and Cherokeecacher - thanks for the calls.  I hope to get back over this weekend.  Tomorrow night is our fartherest trip for a football game all year, so it may not be early Saturday. Maybe I'll even print out a cache page to change my caching number that hasn't changed in almost a year!!! :o

Love to Frances.  Someone that goes to the hospital tell her I'm thinking of her daily!!!

Hang in there, Sam.  The emotional roller coaster is a tough ride, but she's a strong lady and has LOTS and LOTS of love being sent her way!!! O0

Posted · Report post

:)Checking in daily to check on our girl!  :) Thanks everyone that has posted updates.  I was sooooo excited to get Deb's call that she had woke up.  SigJ and Cherokeecacher - thanks for the calls.  I hope to get back over this weekend.  Tomorrow night is our fartherest trip for a football game all year, so it may not be early Saturday. Maybe I'll even print out a cache page to change my caching number that hasn't changed in almost a year!!! :o

Love to Frances.  Someone that goes to the hospital tell her I'm thinking of her daily!!!

Hang in there, Sam.  The emotional roller coaster is a tough ride, but she's a strong lady and has LOTS and LOTS of love being sent her way!!! O0

Ehere is the game? Michelle and I may come over for it, if it will fit in our timeline.

Posted · Report post

Is Frances still in ICU? 

ICU for 2 to 3 more weeks, then Intermediate Care for a couple weeks.

Posted · Report post

I am going to swing by the hospital this afternoon for a little while. I wanted to let her know that her geo-family is still thinking about her and praying for a speedy recovery. If you have any thing you want me to tell her, let me know (email privately or start another thread) and I will read them to her. I am also planning on reading a few short stories (if they'll let me). I have found (through personal experience) that talking and reading is very soothing to an ICU patient.

gsguru