• Announcements

• HGCS UPGRADE   07/02/2015

The upgrade and new version of the forum software did away with a separate username and display name. Some of you may be logging in with a username but your Display Name is different. So if you are one of these users and have trouble logging in use your email address you registered with or your Display Name. If you still have trouble use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forum with your User or Display name and I will try and get you squared away. -Team Four Paw
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Macro for Using Nuvi for Paperless Caching

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Does anybody use this macro with a modern Nuvi for geocaching?

Pilot Snipes Nuvi macro worked with my old Nuvi, but neither it nor Red Roo's version will work with my current one (2495LMT).  It will add cache name and coordinates, and thus navigate to it, but no cache description or logs. 

Roo still updates this macro so I'm wondering if it works with some Nuvis sold in the last couple of years.

Edited by Thot

Posted · Report post

I have a Nuvi 2797 and use that macro and I get the descriptions and logs (you have to tell the macro to do so). I am not familiar with the 2495. To see the data you have to choose the "i" icon once you select the cache from the list.

Yes, I know to look under I but nothing's there except a distance calculation or something like that.

Here's my configuration screen:

post-35-0-09294900-1404252011_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thot

Posted · Report post

Very strange.  Just today I got a notice of a latest version and I upgraded (it's what made me think to ask here about it)  The version I posted was the latest version I downloaded.  I see from your link there is a later version, but although I have the latest release of GSAK it will not install on my system because it says there's a later version of GSAK.

??????

Posted · Report post

Version 2 of that macro is a complete rewrite of the macro you currently are using. It must downloaded from the website and installed. I dont believe there is a direct way to update from the V1 macro to the V2 version. I used to have trouble with the V1 version on my nuvi (wouldnt always install all of the items I wanted, desc, logs, etc).

What version of gsak are you using? I use 8.4.1.48

Posted · Report post

My version is 8.4.1.47

I've finally got it working (I think).  But, I don't dare try it on my Nuvi because I go out tomorrow and if it were to crash my system I'd be without.  I'll try it later in the week. 

Thanks a lot.  I had no way to know about Version 2 since it doesn't signal an update to v1.  I don't just go check to see if a new version is available since I assume I'll get a notice.

I've now tried version 2 and it has much the same problems as I had with the earlier version.  It does seem to have the cache description, but not the logs. 

post-35-0-51142700-1404584445_thumb.png

Edited by Thot

Posted · Report post

Try limiting your logs to one or two and see what happens. That is the only real difference in the settings I use. Dont know if the nuvi will choke on to much data. Just a thought

I've already tried limiting the number of logs to 50 and it did no good, but the old Nuvi with the old macro always accepted an unlimited number of logs.  I guess I should say occasionally this onr includes logs, but most of the time not.

Just curious, you only carry two logs?

Edited by Thot

Posted · Report post

Dear God - limit to 50?? I don't have the patience to look through more than 5 to 10 logs if I can't find it on my own anyway.

Posted · Report post

90% of logs today say TFTC

Posted · Report post

I've already tried limiting the number of logs to 50 and it did no good, but the old Nuvi with the old macro always accepted an unlimited number of logs. I guess I should say occasionally this onr includes logs, but most of the time not.

Just curious, you only carry two logs?

I only use my nuvi to see what caches may be on a route I am on. I use just the 2 logs to give me an idea of how recent it was found and do I want to stop or not.

I only keep 2 logs on my handheld oregon. If I run into trouble finding a cache I will use my phone to check deeper in to the history

Posted · Report post

Ah, I see, I don't have a smart phone.