• Announcements

• HGCS UPGRADE   07/02/2015

The upgrade and new version of the forum software did away with a separate username and display name. Some of you may be logging in with a username but your Display Name is different. So if you are one of these users and have trouble logging in use your email address you registered with or your Display Name. If you still have trouble use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forum with your User or Display name and I will try and get you squared away. -Team Four Paw
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Trackables and length held

54 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I wouldn't mind volunteering to tether a few State Parks ammo cans next time they put them out.  I use eyebolts and steel cable to prevent them from wandering off.  Works most of the time.

I agree about not putting TB's in state parks caches for the very reason you mentioned.  I had one of my HGCS coins I released go to Sea Rim SP and disappear from a cache there.  All the finders but one who logged the cache between when the coin was put in there until I visited the cache and verified that it was missing, though, had over 200 finds -- most with 1000's of finds -- so that is kind of surprising.  Bummer

Edited by HoustonControl

Posted · Report post

I try to move them with 2-3 weeks and if I cannot move them I will bring them to an event to have someone else move them. I once drove to Conroe is the dark to move a very large TB called the Flatulent Friar a Dreamcacher TB.

Posted · Report post

I like moving trackables and we've even planned trips based on getting a trackable in my possession closer to its goal. I try to move trackables in my possession within a month, but sometimes it ends up being longer, especially if I keep finding micros (or mislabeled smalls! Go to a "small" because I've got a small travel bug that should fit in one...find a soda tube that couldn't accommodate a Pathtag. Grrrr....). There's also the issue of finding a cache of the right size...but it's wrecked, or wet, or otherwise unsuitable for leaving a traveler. No thanks, I don't think any tb owner would mind me keeping the bug another week instead of leaving it in a compromised cache.

I don't like the willy-mildly visits, but do try to visit the bug to an interesting cache on the expedition if I couldn't find a cache where it would fit, just so the owner knows it's out there and active. I try to take picture, too.

I wish more newbies were more conscientious about trackables. I like the idea of encouraging them to Discover only until they've decided to be committed to the hobby.

--Q

Posted (edited) · Report post

One standard we like are the TPWD caches that are ammo cans and large enough and maintained caches that don't normally come up missing and you will find we will drop off TB's for the next soul that makes that hike, and will gain them a surprise.

Overall I agree that TBS are not treated very well for some reason....

Because I volunteer w/TPWD to replace missing ammo cans in nearby parks, all of the parks in the SETX area are on my watchlist.

TB's go missing from those caches more than any others I've seen. People are always logging things like "TFTC, no TB's", then you look at the inventory and there are ten listed.

I think it may be because those caches are usually where people start, they start out with limited knowledge of trackables, and they have kids.

The kids find the TB, the parent puts it in their backpack and it gets forgotten about.

Nice containers? Yep, but IMO one of the worst places to put a trackable.

I fully understand and agree with this statement. Yesterday I was out at Brazos Bend(my third time there since started caching) and I have several TB's I was needed to drop off. Very shortly into my caching day I noticed almost every cache page said it had several TB's inside but in reality not even one had any! Most logs on those cache pages only said things like; "TFTC", "first ever!!!!!!!", "geocash", "(insert name) found it". So needless to say I kept all of the TB's in my backpack and I am saving them for another day and another cache not in a state park.

Edited by DangerKitties
TexasWriter likes this