• Announcements

• HGCS UPGRADE   07/02/2015

The upgrade and new version of the forum software did away with a separate username and display name. Some of you may be logging in with a username but your Display Name is different. So if you are one of these users and have trouble logging in use your email address you registered with or your Display Name. If you still have trouble use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forum with your User or Display name and I will try and get you squared away. -Team Four Paw
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A & M GEAR Geocoin

27 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I got my GEAR geocoin in the mail today. I will try upload pictures later.

GOD Bless you and your families

Geosniper Fam

Posted · Report post

woohoo!!  i'm looking forward to checking my mail today and see if mine arrived as well.

Posted · Report post

I also received my trackable coin today. I think there are some flaws in the study, and have contacted the researchers about them. For example, I cycle to most geocaches rather than walk, yet the study does not recognize geobiking as an exercise in geocaching. Thus most of my geocaching is not reported to them. The step counters they sent were so unreliable that I measured the distance walked with my GPSr and converted the distance to steps. They accepted this. The exercise information they want requires keeping a separate daily exercise log; something I did not know until completing the first month's survey. Fortunately, like most exercise-addicted people, I keep a daily log. I think they should use the first year's survey as a test and refine their questions and objectives for a follow-up study.

The geocoin is nice. It's gold and black with a map of the U.S. on one side and "Geocaching for Exercise and Activity Research" and a footprint on the other.

Posted · Report post

I snubbed my nose at this study from day one, but that's a cool coin.  Congrats to all who walked the walk and got the coin.  :smitten:

Posted (edited) · Report post

I got mine today too.  The survey does ask IF you tracked steps for each caching trip or not, so on ones where I biked or kayaked or forgot my pedometer, I just leave the steps blank.  Yeah, I'm pretty good at guess-timating steps taken as well. :coolsmiley:

09182679-34b5-485b-ba26-92958afd4181.jpg

Edited by HoustonControl
amberita13 likes this

Posted · Report post

Mine arrived today also.  

I have sent messages over the past few months, as have others, regarding additional forms of caching/exercise such as yaking and biking.  The team says they have noted this and will adjust the study in future years accordingly, this is merely their starting point/test to help get a feel for the sport of geocaching. 

Posted · Report post

Stan got his geocoin in the mail today too.  

Posted · Report post

Mine arrived today also.  

I have sent messages over the past few months, as have others, regarding additional forms of caching/exercise such as yaking and biking.  The team says they have noted this and will adjust the study in future years accordingly, this is merely their starting point/test to help get a feel for the sport of geocaching. 

they have made adjustments in the last 2 surveys sent.  I was thrilled to see they asked if you walked, drove a car, rode a bike or was in a kayak/canoe.  no, they still don't ask distance for those other forms of transportation, but it was a start.  maybe by the end of the study, they'll have those sections better defined.

got my coin today too.  they did a nice job with it.  powerdog02 wants to "split" it with me...I think not.  I walked more caches than he did.

Posted · Report post

You should have signed up PD02!

Posted · Report post

You should have signed up PD02!

i signed up before he had his own caching account/name... maybe i'll give him the 12 month pathtag or whatever they give us.

Posted · Report post

Got mine today.  Nice.

Posted · Report post

I got mine in the mail yesterday. Nice coin. I'm looking forward to seeing what the 12 month coin looks like.

Posted · Report post

What is required to earn this geocoin? Is it still possible to earn one?

Posted · Report post

What is required to earn this geocoin? Is it still possible to earn one?

there was a call for volunteers in late December/early January for the study.  to earn this coin, you had to complete 6 surveys (one a month) that record your steps, locations, caches found, etc. while out geocaching.  they filled up quickly and are no longer taking volunteers since they officially started the surveys in February.

Posted · Report post

So I was under the impression we would be getting a coin after completing 12 surveys. But yesterday I got an email from the Texas A&M team saying that the survey was over and that was it. Does anyone else have any info on this?

I guess I should have known better than to take an aggies word on something... :knuppel2:  :2funny:

Posted · Report post

So I was under the impression we would be getting a coin after completing 12 surveys. But yesterday I got an email from the Texas A&M team saying that the survey was over and that was it. Does anyone else have any info on this?

I guess I should have known better than to take an aggies word on something... :knuppel2:  :2funny:

I can think of about a dozen people you can now take off your PAF list.  Lol 

DangerKitties likes this

Posted · Report post

I received it too and read it as more along the lines that it was notification that there were no more surveys to fill out.  when they sent the 6 month coin, they did say there was another one for completing all 12 months. 

I found this on the FB page for the study posted last week on 2/13:  Geocaching for Exercise and Activity Research - GEAR Study The 12 month incentive is another coin! It will be sent out in March sometime. We have to wait for both groups of participants to wrap up.

DangerKitties likes this

Posted · Report post

I can think of about a dozen people you can now take off your PAF list.  Lol 

Well I married an Aggie so I am sure when I get home from work there may be bruises on me if she saw this post :knuppel2: ... I mean I fell down some stairs... :-X

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

Congrats to all those that received that nice geocoin. At the time I wasn't caching much so I didn't feel I could contribute to the survey. It would have been interesting to see how many steps I made looking for a ManofSteel geocache.

Posted · Report post

Congrats to all those that received that nice geocoin. At the time I wasn't caching much so I didn't feel I could contribute to the survey. It would have been interesting to see how many steps I made looking for a ManofSteel geocache

Yeah!  Going around in circles!  

Posted · Report post

Congrats to all those that received that nice geocoin. At the time I wasn't caching much so I didn't feel I could contribute to the survey. It would have been interesting to see how many steps I made looking for a ManofSteel geocache

Yeah!  Going around in circles!  

Actually having entered the wrong puzzle coords and not marking the car and the sun going down I decided to take the long easy way back to the car. To further add insult to injury I passed by several caches on the way back to the car and didn;t know it at the time. But that is just the nature of geocaching.  Too bad they don't allow challenge caches as I would add one to those completing the entire worldwide geotour. :coolsmiley:

Posted · Report post

I haven't gotten my Brenham geotour coins yet (powerdog02 got his yesterday), but I DID get my 12 month completion geocoin from the GEAR study and a thank you letter.  It's just as nice with a different design.

Posted · Report post

I got my 2nd GEAR study geocoin today as well.  I also received a 3rd coin for completing a post-survey phone interview.  It was the same design as the coin I received 6 months ago. 

3 nice trackable geocoins for filling out a simple survey for 12 months then participating in a 10 minute phone interview.  Not too shabby!

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

Got ours today as well. It was worth the surveys for both of them.