• Announcements

• HGCS UPGRADE   07/02/2015

The upgrade and new version of the forum software did away with a separate username and display name. Some of you may be logging in with a username but your Display Name is different. So if you are one of these users and have trouble logging in use your email address you registered with or your Display Name. If you still have trouble use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forum with your User or Display name and I will try and get you squared away. -Team Four Paw

Great clouds of mossies!

53 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Last week, we encountered so many mossies in Port Arthur, we had to abandon the search.  This was on "Pleasure Island".  Yesterday, we encountered the same thing in Dickinson over here:  GC3801R

We did 3 of the seven and literally were running for the Jeep as a cloud chased us.  Anyone else seeing this?

Posted · Report post

Same issues while doing maintenance on caches in Channelview.

I just thought they were swarming to my 'overly sweet personality'. But now I wonder ???

Posted · Report post

Yeah, I noticed the same, even on Urban PnGs I'm getting eaten alive....

Posted · Report post

Yesterday I stepped out my front door and nearly got carried away.  We have had some afternoon showers around but they didn't seem to be anything that would cause these swarms.  The things are really hungry too.  On the other hand I was in the west part of George Bush Park two days ago and spent a lot of time in some heavy bush and wasn't bothered by mosquitos at all.  I got so tired that I sat down and ate an energy bar and nothing bit me (except the thorns).  I am spraying just outside the door before we go out.  Here's hoping the county will get the spraying trucks out. 

Posted · Report post

Yesterday, I got a rural cache in Tomball at a park, an urban one down near Hwy 59 and Buffalo Speedway, and a suburban one in Sugar Land. Major mosquito clouds at all three.

Posted · Report post

YES!!!!  powerdog02 and i literally sprinted a half mile out of the dang woods while searching for GC2M9WF on tuesday.  he was complaining, i told him to shut his mouth or he'd be eating them and keep moving.  gave up that route in favor of a slightly less hitchcock-esque scene.

Posted · Report post

Mosquitoes on the Texas Gulf Coast in September?  Who ever heard of such a thing!

I did some cache maintenance on one of my Obscure Park Tour micros the other day and got eaten up pretty well, but it was just about dark-thirty at the time...

Posted (edited) · Report post

If they are salt marsh mossies they will chase you and they don't care about DEET.

Edited by SockPuppet

Posted · Report post

By way of Bert's videos I would think the only thing chasing him was his methane cloud...

Posted · Report post

Does the everpresent cloud attract mossies or kill them? I've heard what it does to downwind cachers...

Posted · Report post

Agree about the Salt Marsh Skeeters...brutal, big, brash, barbaric, uh, ran out of clean unflattering b-words...

As bad as the little boogers are I will take the mossies any day over those darn chiggers! At least you can see the mossies and their effects almost immediately. 

green-eyed likes this

Posted · Report post

I went down to Alvin today and everywhere I went along the way, clouds of mossies swarmed me.  I had a base coat of Cedarcide and liberal amounts of OFF and still sustained about 200 bites.  My lips and ears and even my eyes had bumps on them.

KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

Wow. I don't think it's been nearly that bad up here on NW side. I guess we just don't taste as good as south east cachers! ;) Seriously, unless something changed this week we've not even sprayed above ankles on LTB Gleannloch Series, for example. Maybe we need a mossie heat map

We first experienced this in Port Arthur.  it drove us clean out of the area.  Today, nothing helped and I was attacked in parking lots doing LPC's.  The woods were times 10.  I sat in the Subway in Alvin and watched them bounce off the windows.

Edited by Baytown Bert

Posted · Report post

We went out this evening to get Top of the Hill that was near the house and the tiny mosquitoes were swarming everywhere and were getting inside of the car.   We didn't experience this over in George Bush Park this week.  Top of the Hill had water nearby in the retention ponds, so that might have had something to do with it. 

Posted · Report post

Bellaire is also awful. My kids were eaten alive on the playground at school and even in their classrooms. We waiting for it to pass.

Posted · Report post

powerdog02 said the school won't let the kids outside for recess or gym with the mosquitoes. 

Posted · Report post

Posted: Sep 06, 2013 8:35 PM CST Updated: Sep 06, 2013 8:35 PM CST

By Ned Hibberd, Reporter - bio
HOUSTON (FOX 26) -

As if Houston's heat and humidity weren't enough to keep us indoors -- we are now a city under siege, thanks to a mosquito invasion.

No, it's not your imagination: swarms of salt marsh mosquitoes are moving inland from the coast, where they recently hatched from eggs that were activated by high tide.

"These mosquitoes, when the water comes in, that will stimulate them to hatch and then they'll emerge in the period of several days," explained Dr. Rudy Bueno, director of Harris County Mosquito Control. "And that's what we're seeing right now."

And while salt marsh mosquitoes are definitely annoying, they are not the kind that can infect humans with the dangerous West Nile virus.

In fact, Harris County's testing has detected a distinct decrease in mosquitoes carrying West Nile, compared to last year's tally.

Read more: http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/23365235/mosquitoes-houston-weve-got-you-surrounded#ixzz2eASlshd4

Posted · Report post

We went out this evening to get Top of the Hill that was near the house and the tiny mosquitoes were swarming everywhere and were getting inside of the car.   We didn't experience this over in George Bush Park this week.  Top of the Hill had water nearby in the retention ponds, so that might have had something to do with it. 

I was out there the night it popped, and there wasn't a single mosquito then, and there was water in the retention pond...

Posted · Report post

Bellaire is also awful. My kids were eaten alive on the playground at school and even in their classrooms. We waiting for it to pass.

Your new Smooch cache was one of the ones where I was eaten alive last night. I can attest to that area being under siege...

Ahh.... the sweet sound of the county mossy fogger just went by. 

Edited by TravelingGeek

I just ordered two of these units:  Schawbel Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Unit.  The danged mossies can absolutely ruin a good time.

512DxMb5RRL._SY300_.jpg

Edited by Baytown Bert

Posted · Report post

My wife and son both use one of these. They seem to work pretty well. Not sure how well they work when you are moving around a lot.

Posted · Report post

My longtime buddy tells me he won't go into the woods without one.  I figure what the heck?  I'll spray down and carry one of these on my belt and anything ANYTHING is better than what I've experienced lately.