• Announcements

• HGCS UPGRADE   07/02/2015

The upgrade and new version of the forum software did away with a separate username and display name. Some of you may be logging in with a username but your Display Name is different. So if you are one of these users and have trouble logging in use your email address you registered with or your Display Name. If you still have trouble use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forum with your User or Display name and I will try and get you squared away. -Team Four Paw
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dark Sky finder website

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I was skimming that thread about finding the old cache that is on GC's blog.

Someone posted a link to this map. I think it could be quite useful if you're looking for a place to camp with light pollution. Maybe enhance your view of the night sky.

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/

Colorado Bend State Park seems to be on the fringes. Seems like I remember that park being really dark at night.

Posted · Report post

Lost Maples and Garner are also in the dark.

Posted · Report post

I noticed the George Observatory at BBSP is in the yellow and almost in the orange.  Our potential property out near Fredericksburg shows to be in the purple fringe, but from being out there at night I can confirm it is very dark and the stars are brilliant!

Posted · Report post

I was skimming that thread about finding the old cache that is on GC's blog.

Someone posted a link to this map. I think it could be quite useful if you're looking for a place to camp with light pollution. Maybe enhance your view of the night sky.

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/

Colorado Bend State Park seems to be on the fringes. Seems like I remember that park being really dark at night.

Nice site.  I was out at CBSP last weekend.  The super moon was so bright it cast distinct shadows.  You couldn't tell just how good the stars are, but they were still better than Houston at a new moon.  

Posted · Report post

I'll never forget the first time I camped on the continental divide in SW Colorado and saw the REAL night sky for the first time in my 20's. I suspect many, like me as a young man, have no idea the wonder they're missing above them. The other reason I won't forget that night is the vicious lightning and hail storm that pummeled my tent and truck dropping temp into 20's in the wee hours that same morning. I thought it ironic.

Posted · Report post

I've always looked up. Last week I seized the opportunity to find the only Virtual cache in Puerto Rico.

Back in 98 (21 at the time :)) I had over 100 computers running SETI. (perks of managing the computers in 5 training rooms)

http://www.seti.org/ | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecibo_Observatory

But there is no place like the desert when looking up at the night sky.

The dish is 1000ft in diameter. The posts that support the receiver are roughly a 1/4 mile apart.

The dish (reflector) weighs 300 tons and has 2mm accuracy.

post-2-0-74641500-1372253324_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-34668800-1372253363_thumb.jpg

Posted · Report post

Contact!

Posted · Report post

I've camped at Colorado Bend, it's a great park. And, if memory serves me, is where me and the kid were flooded in and had to stay an extra night a couple of years ago.