• Announcements

• HGCS UPGRADE   07/02/2015

The upgrade and new version of the forum software did away with a separate username and display name. Some of you may be logging in with a username but your Display Name is different. So if you are one of these users and have trouble logging in use your email address you registered with or your Display Name. If you still have trouble use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forum with your User or Display name and I will try and get you squared away. -Team Four Paw

"Texas Smiley" and "TEXAS"

41 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

So -- is anyone going to go for the TEXAS and the SMILEY. I am not available on the 25-27 of Jan but would like to meet up if there is a group going.

That would be a tremendous feat. ~4 miles for the smiley, and ~8 miles for Texas.

Whew!

I think my GPS mileage for TEXAS was closer to 11 counting a few stray caches on the hike back to the parking area. Doing both in one day would be quite an accomplishment.

~11 miles is about right if you don't put a car at each end of the TEXAS.

Posted · Report post

Personally, I think it is too much and Ive done Texas once and Smiley twice. However, if it is cool and the grass and weeds are low, it could be done...but why? Why not make a good mash-up of them at different times and just enjoy them separately for what they are? JMO

Posted · Report post

I had eleven miles for TEXAS and seven for the smiley.

Posted · Report post

Personally, I think it is too much and Ive done Texas once and Smiley twice. However, if it is cool and the grass and weeds are low, it could be done...but why? Why not make a good mash-up of them at different times and just enjoy them separately for what they are? JMO

Unfortunately, in the burned area, the weeds and thorns came back with a vengeance. The weeds are waist to head high in places. :blackeye:

Posted · Report post

Well, there you go. Unless a person just has the need to abuse themselves, do them one at a time. A whole bunch of GB park is still unfound by me and I would be interested about March or April of mashing up to go after them.

Posted · Report post

Well, there you go. Unless a person just has the need to abuse themselves, do them one at a time. A whole bunch of GB park is still unfound by me and I would be interested about March or April of mashing up to go after them.

Me three!

Posted · Report post

I can't see a route through all that mess of area, unless it's something like the Noble Road, or the Alphabet soup, Huge Smiley, and TEXAS, all of which I've done and then there are those danged puzzle caches there. It's all so intimidating to a country feller like myself...

Posted · Report post

While I just joined HGCS this week and reading up on the posts, We (Wildbabe & I) have been thinking very seriously of trying to do both. If any of you are going to go as a group, big or small. We'd definitely might want to venture it with you.

Posted · Report post

Me three!

Me four.

But there is no way I am going back through TEXAS again. That is just too much like work.

Posted · Report post

My guess is that these are going to be under water for a while.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know on One Huge Smiley somewhere around the eyes, it will be a lake right now. I did it twice when it was hot and dry and walked right across the area that would normally be full of water.

Edited by Baytown Bert

Posted · Report post

When we did it there was lots of water.

Posted · Report post

I think the south half of the Smiley is under water, and the east end of the TEXAS will be somewhat wet.

The west end of TEXAS may be above water, but there are quite a few wet spots in there, too.

Posted · Report post

Anybody been by the area lately to see the condition of the terrain?

Posted · Report post

Anybody been by the area lately to see the condition of the terrain?

I was in Bear Creek Park yesterday and it was actually pretty well dried out, even in the areas which normally have standing water after rainfall.

It has been a couple of weeks since I was near the 'S' of the TEXAS-series and that was pretty dry at that moment.

You got plans on going?

Posted · Report post

Good timing... on this thread waking up.  I was hoping to start on the smile sometime in the next week.