• Announcements

• HGCS UPGRADE   07/02/2015

The upgrade and new version of the forum software did away with a separate username and display name. Some of you may be logging in with a username but your Display Name is different. So if you are one of these users and have trouble logging in use your email address you registered with or your Display Name. If you still have trouble use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forum with your User or Display name and I will try and get you squared away. -Team Four Paw

Do we want to get a new mascot?

55 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I am not a huge fan of the Flaming Gator. So, what is everyone's thought on a new mascot for ALL of SETX?

Posted · Report post

Would you open it up to idea's, narrow it down and then take a vote to determine the new mascot? What's your thought on this process, should we change?

Posted · Report post

I don't like the flaming gator either.

Posted · Report post

can we start with an explanation of where the pink flamingo came from? Perhaps elements of its legacy could be incorporated into the new mascot.

Posted · Report post

Would you open it up to idea's, narrow it down and then take a vote to determine the new mascot? What's your thought on this process, should we change?

This is exactly the way I want to do it. We can still put flamingos on our campsites, but I vote for a new mascot and color!

I nominate the alligator.

Posted · Report post

how about a longhorn?

Posted · Report post

The flamingo started way back when. It was in use when I started geocaching in 2004. I kinda hate that the flamingo may go away but we really need to incorporate ALL of SETX cachers.

We will brainstorm here and then narrow it down. I am also going to post this on the FB page for SETX.

Posted · Report post

can we start with an explanation of where the pink flamingo came from? Perhaps elements of its legacy could be incorporated into the new mascot.

gs - excellent idea by TG. Why don't you supply some background info on the flamingo before we march forward and/or that needs to be considered when considering a mascot change?

Posted · Report post

I would prefer the Space Shuttle to the Longhorn...

Posted · Report post

Hurricanes, because we destroy the competition.

CriffRee likes this

Posted · Report post

i think the flamin' gator is pretty sweet myself i could care less that we are pink or anything i really dont see much of a reason to change

Posted · Report post

i think the flamin' gator is pretty sweet myself i could care less that we are pink or anything i really dont see much of a reason to change

O0

Posted · Report post

I see what gsguru is trying to do, and I agree with her that we need an overall mascot for the region, even if we keep our individual group mascots. No different than different units making up a larger unit in the military.

Posted · Report post

interesting concept.

Posted · Report post

Just saying we should be the sharks.... not that i'm biased or anything... ::)

Posted · Report post

I think south texas had sharks on there shirts. I may be wrong.

Posted · Report post

What ever mascot we go with (I do like the flamingos) I would love to see us get T Shirts ......

NTX with all of them in black shirts, they do stand out.

I won't put my .02 cents in for what color to go with 8)

Posted · Report post

See... this thread had me smiling and LOL all along.. that's why I love being part of this group.

I don't object to the pink flamingo, but it does take some getting used to for newbies. But I have no connection to it as a symbol other than the three TX Challenges I have participated in. I do like the idea of a team t-shirt.

I do like the Alligator logo.

Posted · Report post

the thing with the pink is that it is super bright and while we are bushwacking in the challenge or just passing other people on the trails it is visible from quite a distance and u can definetly see your team mates extremely easy thats the best thing about it in my book. im not super attached to it either but i think the mascot is fine the way it is

Posted · Report post

I was thinking about a t shirt as well as a cap for next year... means that we may need to shell out a bit of money.

Posted · Report post

the thing with the pink is that it is super bright and while we are bushwacking in the challenge or just passing other people on the trails it is visible from quite a distance and u can definetly see your team mates extremely easy thats the best thing about it in my book.

O0 O0

Posted · Report post

From what I've heard, early on at the Texas Challenge someone came up with the idea of cheesy pink flamingos just to help identify which campsite belonged to SETX cachers. I guess it was more just the Houston area back then? It wasn't until a few years ago (2007?) that flamingos got incorporated into a mascot. I believe the pink bandanas debuted in 2010. I hope they would still live on as campsite decor, especially since I sunk like $20 into the plastic birds this year!

As far as a competition mascot, Gators are fine with me. We did chose that as the artwork for the '07 Challenge at Brazos Bend.

I do think the Flamin' Gator was funny, though.

Posted · Report post

the thing with the pink is that it is super bright and while we are bushwacking in the challenge or just passing other people on the trails it is visible from quite a distance and u can definetly see your team mates extremely easy thats the best thing about it in my book.

O0 O0

Pink is not my favorite color to wear in everyday life, but i have to say that i think it works out pretty well when worn at our challenges. It does indeed stand out from a distance and makes it easy to spot fellow team mates on the trail. Maybe we could take a step back in time, maybe the 70s, and everyone wear hot pink leisure suits,,, :peace:

Posted · Report post

Ooooo, I could be Leisure Suit Larry!

For this you lose your Anti-Geek status!