Geocaching Challenges

151 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote author=TravelingGeek link=topic=13207.msg117591#msg117591 date=1313719539]
Do the challenges count toward your finds?  I see the new stat boxes have them called out separately.  I hope they don't count toward the finds... that would bug me, and can only assume it would really really annoy anyone who has accumulated a comma or two.
[/quote]

Depends on where you look.  I can see both finds 1337 hides 72 challenges 1.

And

Found/Completed 1338

So, I guess the answer is yes and no, or maybe.

Posted · Report post

Some of these challenges are incredibly stupid. For instance, I found a challenge where you have to plank on a table. Really? That's a challenge? A challenge that has to do with Geocaching? There's also another challenge where all you have to do is tell a joke. Most users that "completed" the challenge didn't tell a joke at all.

So far, these challenges are lame. It looks like a really lame way to pick up some numbers. I guess you just have to pick good ones.

Posted · Report post

I found a challenge where all you have to do is find and log a geocache.  So you are getting two smileys for a single find. 

Eagle

Posted · Report post

Kissing a frog?  I mean, WTF does that have to do with geocaching?  Didn't use my GSPr to get to the spot, find the frog, or anything.  I could log it.  But just don't think I would.  If it had to do with getting there, finding something, etc. ... maybe even remotely, then I could see it.  But a just because?  Not my cup of tea.

Posted · Report post

[quote author=cachestacker link=topic=13207.msg117601#msg117601 date=1313722381]
Kissing a frog?  I mean, WTH does that have to do with geocaching?  Didn't use my GSPr to get to the spot, find the frog, or anything.  I could log it.  But just don't think I would.  If it had to do with getting there, finding something, etc. ... maybe even remotely, then I could see it.  But a just because?  Not my cup of tea.
[/quote]

The challenge you posted is a good one and I'm proud to say that I completed it! This kissing a frog nonsense is stupid. Didn't people regulate virtuals? If so, shouldn't these be regulated?

Posted · Report post

Now here's a challenge!!

http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX57F

Posted · Report post

[quote author=Nebulus703 link=topic=13207.msg117603#msg117603 date=1313722835]
Now here's a challenge!!

[/quote]

Archived by 10:04

Apparently there is SOME overview.

Somewhat confusing that a Geocacheing Challenge, a Challenge geocache and a challenging geocache are 3 different things.

Posted · Report post

[quote author=kianlo link=topic=13207.msg117604#msg117604 date=1313723207]
[quote author=Nebulus703 link=topic=13207.msg117603#msg117603 date=1313722835]
Now here's a challenge!!

[/quote]

Archived by 10:04

Apparently there is SOME overview.

Somewhat confusing that a Geocacheing Challenge, a Challenge geocache and a challenging geocache are 3 different things.

[/quote]

It was a challenge that asked you to find other dumb challenges and flag them for spam/inappropriate. Sure, it's just as dumb but I enjoyed it even though I still refused to complete it.

Posted · Report post

they're archiving them as fast as people post them....there's an effort to crash their servers.... this is working well for them, ya think?

....all they needed to do was bring virtuals back.....

Posted · Report post

http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX618

:)

Posted · Report post

this is stupid y cant they just get rid of the challenges and do what the GC public actually wants them to do its retarded how they waste their time on stuff that noone wants them to do

Posted · Report post

[quote author=Nebulus703 link=topic=13207.msg117602#msg117602 date=1313722725]

The challenge you posted is a good one and I'm proud to say that I completed it! This kissing a frog nonsense is stupid. Didn't people regulate virtuals? If so, shouldn't these be regulated?
[/quote]

People are going ape over these.  All for a point.  Neb -- go look at White Buffalo's log and photo.  I don't remember whitewater, or mountains, on Armand Bayou.  Maybe it's just me getting older, though.  :2funny:

Posted · Report post

[quote author=cachestacker link=topic=13207.msg117610#msg117610 date=1313725110]
[quote author=Nebulus703 link=topic=13207.msg117602#msg117602 date=1313722725]

[/quote]

People are going ape over these.  All for a point.  Neb -- go look at White Buffalo's log and photo.  I don't remember whitewater, or mountains, on Armand Bayou.  Maybe it's just me getting older, though.  :2funny:
[/quote]

HA! Too funny! I think they just thought that they needed a picture of them on the water, not a particular body of water.

Posted · Report post

Legalizing armchair caching. 

Posted · Report post

All they need to do is add a "Hide Challenges" button on my profile and I'd be happy.  :knuppel2:

Posted · Report post

It *is* that ridiculously easy, HC. I made that one challenge last night while reading this thread in another tab.

Posted · Report post

I just created two challenges and I know alot of you meet the requirements.

[url=http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX838]http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX838[/url]
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX841]http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX841[/url]

We will see how long this stays approved.

My personal opinion is that there are requirements.  You must do something in order to *get the smiley*.  It is just another twist to finding neat places to go.  One is still traveling for the sake of a smile.  Let this happen, don't worry...Groundspeak is great about changing their minds and moving onto something different!!

Posted · Report post

[quote author=OneStepCloser link=topic=13207.msg117641#msg117641 date=1313757055]
[quote author=georeynozos link=topic=13207.msg117638#msg117638 date=1313756899]

[url=http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX838]http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX838[/url]
[url=http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX841]http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX841[/url]

My personal opinion is that there are requirements.  You must do something in order to *get the smiley*.  It is just another twist to finding neat places to go.  One is still traveling for the sake of a smile.  Let this happen, don't worry...Groundspeak is great about changing their minds and moving onto something different!!
[/quote]

You.  Really.  Did.  This?  ???
[/quote]

Yes.  I.  Did.... But I realized they only allow one challenge per day, so I will need to post the next one tomorrow.  My challenges will be a bit tough and hard to earn.  I will not have challenges which state, take a picture of yourself kissing a kitten.  No, my challenges will be like the one I posted.  Infact, all my challenges will require an action and a picture to prove it.

Posted · Report post

What I think is sort of ironic is all of the complaining about too many restrictions by reviewers and when these come along there's complaint about no reviewer restrictions.  I'm just saying. 

Posted · Report post

[quote author=georeynozos link=topic=13207.msg117638#msg117638 date=1313756899]

[/quote]
Looks like someone with a little photoshop skill will be able to complete your challenges...  >:D

Posted · Report post

It was entertaining last night to watch the fireworks....we have never seen such a sh@#storm against GC before.....even to the point where Jeremy lost his cool and sniped at someone....which led to a firestorm of people publishing endless drivel in an effort to crash their servers....contentious isn't even the half of it...

You know, they PROMISED virtuals, they said they were coming back.  THEY LIED..  They gave us Challenge junk.  Whether they intentionally did it or not, they mocked all of the REAL challenge caches out there....

Sure, sure, we know, we all have choices to play the game or not, to do or not to do, we get it.  But don't tell us, "Well, we thought we couldn't turn the switch back on for virtuals..." despite saying on their feedback [s]joke[/s] site that They Were Coming Back.

GC's lousy efforts to police virtual submission had a direct fallout on the community so they shut them down.  Cachers paid for their shortcomings.

By telling everyone they were coming back it indicated that, perhaps, they would police them better, be more stringent.  But, by all appearances, they LISTENED to what their CUSTOMERS wanted. 

Let's not forget that:  This is a customer driven business.  Call it a hobby, call it what you will, but if it were some mamby-pamby dalliance then there would be no advertising, no membership fees....

What they did was bad for business and having their CEO take pot shots back at his customers for expressing outrage was not a smart move.

Relying on a podcast to get the word out was also a bad move.

They are going to have a lot of damage control to work on....

Posted · Report post

[quote author=OneStepCloser link=topic=13207.msg117645#msg117645 date=1313757706]
It was entertaining last night to watch the fireworks....we have never seen such a sh@#storm against GC before.....even to the point where Jeremy lost his cool and sniped at someone....which led to a firestorm of people publishing endless drivel in an effort to crash their servers....contentious isn't even the half of it...

You know, they PROMISED virtuals, they said they were coming back.  THEY LIED..  They gave us Challenge junk.  Whether they intentionally did it or not, they mocked all of the REAL challenge caches out there....

Sure, sure, we know, we all have choices to play the game or not, to do or not to do, we get it.  But don't tell us, "Well, we thought we couldn't turn the switch back on for virtuals..." despite saying on their feedback [s]joke[/s] site that They Were Coming Back.

GC's lousy efforts to police virtual submission had a direct fallout on the community so they shut them down.  Cachers paid for their shortcomings.

By telling everyone they were coming back it indicated that, perhaps, they would police them better, be more stringent.  But, by all appearances, they LISTENED to what their CUSTOMERS wanted. 

Let's not forget that:  This is a customer driven business.  Call it a hobby, call it what you will, but if it were some mamby-pamby dalliance then there would be no advertising, no membership fees....

What they did was bad for business and having their CEO take pot shots back at his customers for expressing outrage was not a smart move.

[/quote]

Really not a smart move for a business to piss the product off (yes, in GCs business model we are the product, eyeballs reading the ads) and then attacking them, just about the time a new competitor is entering the market with a neat are attractive variation.  This whole debacle might actually give munzees a chance to make head way.

Eagle

Posted · Report post

[quote author=Eagles1181 link=topic=13207.msg117648#msg117648 date=1313758996]
[quote author=OneStepCloser link=topic=13207.msg117645#msg117645 date=1313757706]

[/quote]

Really not a smart move for a business to piss the product off (yes, in GCs business model we are the product, eyeballs reading the ads) and then attacking them, just about the time a new competitor is entering the market with a neat are attractive variation.  This whole debacle might actually give munzees a chance to make head way.

Eagle
[/quote]

Extra bad timing since they have the block party at HQ tomorrow.  Yikes! 

Posted · Report post

I love reading those facebook comments.  9 out of 10 were did not like challenges.  There were over 200 comments on the post I read.  Pretty funny.  :tickedoff:

Posted · Report post

Extra bad timing since they have the block party at HQ tomorrow.  Yikes!
[/quote]

O0 O0 O0 O0