• Announcements

• HGCS UPGRADE   07/02/2015

The upgrade and new version of the forum software did away with a separate username and display name. Some of you may be logging in with a username but your Display Name is different. So if you are one of these users and have trouble logging in use your email address you registered with or your Display Name. If you still have trouble use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forum with your User or Display name and I will try and get you squared away. -Team Four Paw

Geocaching Challenges

151 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

ha ha ha... I can just see it now... "Moon over Bourbon Street" an action challenge cache.

Posted · Report post

this looks ridiculous im not sure what the point is gonna be

Posted · Report post

Lots of varied re-action on the blog.

I can see the potential for much abuse, interpretation and "differing opinions".  In May, I attempted a grandfathered virtual in the Grand Canyon.  To complete the cache, you had to fill out the words listed on a particular sign.  When I got to the location, my phone was not able to pull up the cache description so I went from memory and snapped a picture of my GPS with the sign so I could complete it when I got a signal again.  I took a picture of a sign 12 feet away from the sign the cache owner wanted.  He disallowed my find.  :o

After hiking over a 1.5 miles down into the Grand Canyon, I proved that I was at the location, but that wasn't good enough for the owner. :tickedoff:

In his defense, he reminded me that if it were a traditional 12 feet away but I couldn't find it I would post a dnf.  :-X  He was right, but he better not look for any of my hides.      :knuppel2:

Posted · Report post

I think this is their "replacement" for virtual caches that they've been hinting at for a while now.

Posted · Report post

Are we going to see "Go into the shop and SING" caches now?

Posted · Report post

Go to and ice skating rink and do a quad jump on the ice wearing a sequined outfit! :D

Posted · Report post

Go to and ice skating rink and do a quad jump on the ice wearing a sequined outfit! :D

I think that one of the pre-requists for an ACTION CHALLENGE is that the cache owner must have performed the action themselves prior to publishing!!!!! >:D

Posted · Report post

I think that one of the pre-requists for an ACTION CHALLENGE is that the cache owner must have performed the action themselves prior to publishing!!!!! >:D

Well then, I think Linden qualifies!  :o

Posted · Report post

i think that these are going to be a problem going to have some stupid ideas out there for sure im positive of that

Posted · Report post

Personally, I like this idea a lot. I know that I am just a newbie (112 finds), but when half of those are in light poles, I don't see how that can be more fun or challenging than this. My favorite caches so far are the ones that have taken me to cool places that I've never been to before. I'm really looking forward to these challenges, and I hope that Houston leads the way so we can show the GC community all of the amazing things that our city has to offer!

Posted · Report post

Well then, I think Linden qualifies!  :o

I don't own a sequined outfit.

Posted · Report post

I will be placing a No Label Brewing Company Action Challenge Cache: You must drink your alloted 4 beers and find the traditional on the company property within 15 minutes. You will be timed. :)

Posted · Report post

Personally, I like this idea a lot. I know that I am just a newbie (112 finds), but when half of those are in light poles, I don't see how that can be more fun or challenging than this. My favorite caches so far are the ones that have taken me to cool places that I've never been to before. I'm really looking forward to these challenges, and I hope that Houston leads the way so we can show the GC community all of the amazing things that our city has to offer!

Awesome!  A newbie that understands the game.  My favorites also are the ones that take me to neat places.

As for the challenges, I'll keep an open mind and hope for the best.

Posted · Report post

This reminds me of a certain terracache where you had to solve 5x5 Rubik's Cube in order to get credit for the find.

Rubik's Professor

Of course a certain cacher that lives in Baytown took the cube home, solved it, then brought it back the next week....

Posted · Report post

You mean again?

Are we going to see "Go into the shop and SING" caches now?

Posted · Report post

This reminds me of a certain terracache where you had to solve 5x5 Rubik's Cube in order to get credit for the find.

Rubik's Professor

Of course a certain cacher that lives in Baytown took the cube home, solved it, then brought it back the next week....

The rules didn't specifically prohibit that!  OK, so maybe they did.  I like to consider them "guidelines"...  ::)

Posted · Report post

I liked virtuals and didn't really like waymarking, so this seems like a good idea to me.  Some of the most interesting locations I've been to have been virtuals - which is kind of the point.  Not sure how they will / can regulate the types of activities which will be allowed, but some do see some opportunity for abuse (see above logs)  :-)

Posted · Report post

This just seems like Groundspeak realizing that they've made unpopular decisions and bringing back virtuals and SLR(Special Logging Requirements) and just calling them a different name.  I don't have a problem with either. 

Posted · Report post

I'm reserving judgement, too.  If you don't want to do it, don't.  The same thing goes for all types of caches.  Variety is the spice of life.  Maybe there will be a new type of Challenge (sponsored by McBurger) to take a picture of you eating a Double Cheese Cardiac Arrest with Bacon sandwich (holding your GPSr, of course).

Posted · Report post

I know, I know, different strokes for different folks.  However, this just seems to me they should title it "future retired cache type."  I can see how they could pull it off, but I think they will have to restrict it and put A LOT of rules on it.

Eagle

Posted · Report post

I'm reserving judgement, too.  If you don't want to do it, don't.  The same thing goes for all types of caches.  Variety is the spice of life.  Maybe there will be a new type of Challenge (sponsored by McBurger) to take a picture of you eating a Double Cheese Cardiac Arrest with Bacon sandwich (holding your GPSr, of course).

And a second smiley if you are holding your GPSr while riding in an ambulance after having a heart attack!! :)

Posted · Report post

And a second smiley if you are holding your GPSr while riding in an ambulance after having a heart attack!! :)

You've already gotten your smiley (or frowny) for that one, so I'd advise skipping that one. 

Posted · Report post

No way that would get approved.. it would limit future profits for GroundSpeak.... Unless they are in the will.

Posted · Report post

Well -- stats for challenges are out on logs and on your profile, and the logs on cache pages bring in the finder's avatar if they have one and it's kinda rearranged.  Found has turned into found/completed.  Interesting view to get used to.

Now -- who is publishing a challenge?