Photo

Four Cache Loop - Lets set a date

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

Poll: Trying to get a group together for the 4 cache loop...pick the date best for you (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Trying to get a group together for the 4 cache loop...pick the date best for you

1. October 8 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. October 15 (15 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

3. October 22 (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. October 29 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 15 October 2005 - 05:18 PM

FSH and his two sons were behind us following in their car on the way up. A deer jumped in front of them crossing the road and impacted the driver side windshield. Luckly it hit high so it didn't end up in the front seat. However if it jumped a split second sooner it would have been a very bad situation. They got rattled pretty good. FSH called me said the insurance is taking care of the car and that they are back in town and the boys are OK. The older son had a nasty bruise on his arm but he is OK.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#162 TerraTrekkers

TerraTrekkers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 05:30 PM

Thank God no one was badly injured.

Jim
" Well , here's another nice mess you've gotten me into " Laurel and Hardy

Posted Image

#163 Team Texas Flash

Team Texas Flash

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationBoerne, Texas

Posted 15 October 2005 - 06:34 PM

Boy I'm wooped ... good to hear all is good with 5sh

Great time was had by TTF ... goodnight

some pictures

#164 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,759 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 06:43 PM

Good to here 5SH's are OK.  You hear about these things but you never expect them to happen.
Posted Image

#165 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 16 October 2005 - 06:05 AM

5SH....your log brought tears to my eyes, those boys and you must have been through the ringer yesterday. My heart really goes out to you. The ice pack belonged to TPB, but it was my pleasure to help out. Give those boys a big hug and we'll be lookin for them in November!

#166 Love2Fly

Love2Fly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:58 AM

Glad to hear that y'all are OK  beside the bumping and bruising. The deer experience demonstrated how temporary and fragile life really is.  Good luck on the geomobile hunt this week.
    This morning I woke up and found that my usual swagger wasn't swagging. Kinda hobbling for the first few minutes until my muscles loosened.  Breakfast included tylenol, as a side dish. O0  Soon as I work out this morning , and get everything warmed up again,, it will be time to grab a couple caches  ;)

#167 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:25 AM

FSH,
You have my number. When you're ready to tackle this cache let me know. I will come by and pick you and sons up. You don't need to worry about driving just bring your gear and a GPS and I'll do the rest. I'm ready to go when you are.
O0

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#168 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,759 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:34 AM

Actually they do make plastic whistle that mount on your car to scare off the deer.  I don't know whether or not they work.
Posted Image

#169 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,384 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:42 AM

I really want to thank everyone who was apart of FCL and stopped or came up on the car as I was getting a grip.  Having you all there immediately was completely integral to getting my shit together and handling, allowing me to push aside the man in me and forcing the dad to surface.  Again, I am thrilled that both boys are relatively fine, and count ourselves blessed for the karma, cosmic  vibe, fate, or what ever your belief is, that we are all three alive today.  Intense father/son bonding.

All of you that stopped, I want to thank because it helped me get my boys minds' off it.  You guys were great to them, and they were excited for you when I called GQ as you guys were handing out patches at the fourth leg.

I am glad that all went on to do the FCL.   The boys and I are going to go get that in November.

Happy for all that went, my boys pass on the same message.

Thanks again everyone...I wiil tell you the story at the next event

marty
fivesecrethunters

In reading Marty's posting, it reinforced what I already knew aboout the geocaching family.  Geocachers are a great bunch of people that all care about their fellow geocachers.  When I've been on the trails with others, and I'm usually near the back of the pack, there's always been someone watching out for me to make sure that I'm ok and am going to make it.  

I know that GQ is trying to be politically correct when he mentions that we are a loosely knit group of people because he doesn't want us to sound like a clique.  I truly believe we are not a clique and we are open to others joining our family.  However, I think that we are a closely knit group because we care about our geocaching family so much.  

Marty, if you and the boys do go do the FCL in November, please be super careful since it will be in the peak of hunting season.  Wear your orange.  

On another note...I think it is awesome that this thread got up to 12 pages and is probably still going.  GQ, thanks for setting up these forums.  It's a great way of keeping up with what's going on with our geocaching family, and sometimes living vicariously through them.   Keep up the good work.  

I'm glad to hear that those that made it through the FCL had nothing more that blisters and sore muscles.  That was to be expected.  You all ought to be proud of your accomplishment.  Way to go!!!

Kathy
Muddy Buddies
Posted Image

#170 tktrekker

tktrekker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationFt Hood

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:43 PM

FSH, I thanked God and am very relieved to hear that you and the boys are ok.

I did want to pass on that after my fall the lastr weekend I found that using lavendar essential oil on my bruses helped them to heal faster.  Just dab a little bit on your son's bruises at night before bedtime or during the day if he will let you.  It will releive the soreness from it very quickly after a couple of applications. 

When your ready to do the FCL let me know, I had to cancel this time,l so I would love to join you and the boys when you go. 

Teri

#171 Ivan Tofindit

Ivan Tofindit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 09:30 PM

FSH, I'm glad to hear you guys are OK. I know thats a scary thing to have happen. My son and I hit a metal deerfeeder stand one night driving through Pumpkin ,Texas. I told my son that it was better that we had hit it instead of the two motorcycles that were right behind us. I've learned to take my time while driving on the back roads, but I know there are some things that you just can't avoid. 

Sounds like everybody had a good time on Four Notch and I hope the map was helpful.

Ivan

#172 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:32 AM

By my GPSr total moving time was 4h 35min, total stopped time was 1h 30min. The moving avg speed was 2.5mph.

Help me help you.

#173 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:30 AM

By my GPSr total moving time was 4h 35min, total stopped time was 1h 30min. The moving avg speed was 2.5mph.

No wonder we hurt so bad yesterday! We're both feeling like we can move at least today. We went out last night caching a bit and feel better today. That's pretty good time though huh?

#174 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:38 AM

I think so, There were a few stretches where we were avg'ing around 3.5. I feel good today and I'm ready to do it again. O0

Help me help you.

#175 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:45 AM

I think so, There were a few stretches where we were avg'ing around 3.5. I feel good today and I'm ready to do it again. O0

UUGGHHH. I feel pretty good today. Yesterday wasn't too bad, after the creaks left. Saturday night was horrible.  :'( I sat with ice packs on my knees and had my daughter wait on me. She didn't like it too much, but I thoroughly enjoyed it... or would have if I didn't hurt so much... :D

Not sure if I would attempt this again. Glad I did it though. Thanks again Tx_Secsy. O0

#176 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:01 AM

I'm sorry about your knees. I'm to blame for that. I should have lessoned the pace a bit while I was out front, and I know the gravel roads didn't help. They did a number on my ankles and left knee.  :(

Help me help you.

#177 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:07 AM

Man....that gravel sucked...that was the worst part I'd rather be sinkin in the pine needles than hikin on those rocks. I think thats what got to Jeff's foot...that and no ankle support.... :) GSGuru slowed me down a few times, cuz my legs carry me faster than others....I forget  :-[.

anyway, I gotta get to work. Ya'll have a great day!

Like my new icon, its appropriate huh :D?

#178 Dave77459

Dave77459

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationGCRJCC

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:19 AM

(note to self: next time, use the Muddy Buddy technique)

and do you want to share?

I think that he is talking about the trash bags that Stan put on his feet rather than taking hiking boots and socks off to cross the creek.  mtp has taken pictures and posted them.  He and mbrownjer got a kick out of his creek crossing technique. 

Yes, that is what I was thinking of.  Thanks SP for the linkback.

Now to read how it went! :)

#179 Dave77459

Dave77459

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • LocationGCRJCC

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:29 AM

So when is the after-event when lies get told and the story officially embellished?!  O0

I was sorry to read about FSH, but thank God that it was a learning experience and nothing more.  Like GQ, I'm ready to go whenever you say.  Give me a week's notice so that I can cancel my less pressing obligations; everything is less pressing, BTW.

Where are the pics from the tree stand???!  Where are the pics of people sliding down hills and covered by mud?  One lousy snake?  Sheesh!

Sorry I missed it.  Really sorry.

#180 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:53 AM

Man....that gravel sucked...that was the worst part I'd rather be sinkin in the pine needles than hikin on those rocks. I think thats what got to Jeff's foot...that and no ankle support.... :) GSGuru slowed me down a few times, cuz my legs carry me faster than others....I forget  :-[.

anyway, I gotta get to work. Ya'll have a great day!

Like my new icon, its appropriate huh :D?

Love your new icon. VERY APPROPRIATE...  :) Those rocks are what did me in, as well as the fast pace you people put me through... LOL Actually, wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The time went by alot faster, since we were in a group. Loved the entire experience.

I think the after party is going to be at the Thanksgiving event. Lots of lies and stories going on there!!.

Have a great day, everyone.
gsguru

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users