Photo

Four Cache Loop - Lets set a date

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

Poll: Trying to get a group together for the 4 cache loop...pick the date best for you (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Trying to get a group together for the 4 cache loop...pick the date best for you

1. October 8 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. October 15 (15 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

3. October 22 (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. October 29 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,749 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:10 PM

I am only trying to help with this note.  I thought you guys wanted to camp along the trail at the Four Cache Loop.  If so, then you will have to carry your stuff up and down the various creeks.  If you camp around the Conroe area you have pretty much committed yourself to completing the Four Cache Loop in one day.  Now I will but out.
Posted Image

#42 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 19 September 2005 - 02:35 PM

Here are the campgrounds with flushies.  I've not been to cagle other than a drive through, but I have stayed at stubblefield before.  It's got flushies and showers.  I would definitely recommend a shower after the hike since a couple weeks ago I got into a nest of seed ticks and they got me good ALL OVER!   :o  Those buggers can climb fast!
:D TD

I think Cagle looks closer, right? Seems more logical to stay there.

Thanks for your input SP....I just think I'd rather do the whole thing in one day, then shower at night....those ticks sound YUCKY!

#43 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:37 AM

We're not going to be able to camp, the tx_secsy clan that is....but we're STILL headed out there that morning. What time ya'll wanna get hiking? I'm thinkin starting at 8:00? That too early for everyone?

Maybe we can just relax at the end for a while!

I also need to know how many hikers on your team.

Lookin forward to it!

#44 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationThe Armpit of the Universe

Posted 05 October 2005 - 12:58 PM

This is by NO MEANS a motion of intent, but The Snoogstress (Mynda) and I have been discussing going on this hike with you all. She has heard the stories and is interested.

It's either that or kayaking.

I happen to know someone else that is thinking of going for their second trip too. Given that they have very special plans for the day before, I wouldn't miss it if they decided to hike.

#45 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:41 PM

This is by NO MEANS a motion of intent, but The Snoogstress (Mynda) and I have been discussing going on this hike with you all. She has heard the stories and is interested.

It's either that or kayaking.

I happen to know someone else that is thinking of going for their second trip too. Given that they have very special plans for the day before, I wouldn't miss it if they decided to hike.

Who?  ???

#46 maggieb

maggieb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:09 PM

just wanted to throw my 2 cents in though i won't be going.  my brother and i did this one about a year ago and we camped out near a lake that was at least near the trail.  it was awesome!  tdonley probably knows exactly where the lake is.  and the gear would have been easily manageable (?)  had we not had to carry in a couple of gallons of wine!  you guys have fun!

#47 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:10 PM

just wanted to throw my 2 cents in though i won't be going.  my brother and i did this one about a year ago and we camped out near a lake that was at least near the trail.  it was awesome!  tdonley probably knows exactly where the lake is.  and the gear would have been easily manageable (?)  had we not had to carry in a couple of gallons of wine!  you guys have fun!

Wooohoooo sounds like I missed the trip with the wine!

Unfortunately no camping for me....maybe next time Others might be interested though!

#48 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationThe Armpit of the Universe

Posted 06 October 2005 - 02:37 AM

Who?  ???

I can't say. It's not my place, but you DO know them.

BTW- I just heard that they may be making other plans...... Mynda and I are still undecided and may not decide until the last minute, so don't count on us. We just got our Kayaks and really have the itch to do that, but FCL is a blast too.

Someone NEEEEEDS to let Thumpmeister know you're going. She has done it 5 times and I'd bet money she'd do it again.

#49 Thunor

Thunor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationBaytown Tx

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:38 AM

Count me in for the hike, barring any unforseen circumstances that usually pops up.  I'll meet ya'll at the trail head that Saturday morning.  I've been looking forward to doing this cache for a year, I can't wait!    ;D

#50 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 06 October 2005 - 08:47 AM

One more for the hike. Not going to be camping, though. Are we starting at 8:00??
gsguru

#51 Red Eye Rebels

Red Eye Rebels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationMcKinney

Posted 06 October 2005 - 02:44 PM

I have already completed the loop, but I hope to be able to make this one, maybe it will be better weather this time.  I hear this is much better in a group, and I completed it before on my own, so......I am looking forward to it.  Please let me know what time when you figure it out.

#52 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:18 PM

One more for the hike. Not going to be camping, though. Are we starting at 8:00??
gsguru

Yes I'm thinking 8:00. Since we have the owner coming with us, I'm just going to confirm that HE can get there at 8:00. Don't you think the early to start the cooler (weather) the finish will be?

Theresa

#53 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,749 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:49 PM

We started at 9:00 am and finished at 4:30 pm which included a break for slight detour, a visit to D.B. Cooper where we took a break for a small lunch.  Bring extra socks in case they get wet.  It was actaully very refreshing to get you feet wet.  But bring a small towel to wipe the sand from your feet.  A hiking stick is also very useful for going up and down the creeks.  I prefer a metal one so you can plant it into the ground and brace yourself on the way down and pull yourself up on the way up.
Posted Image

#54 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:58 PM

So here's what to bring....

Extra socks
quality hiking stick
bug spray
lunch
towel
water (we're wearing camel backs)
high fiber/protein snacks like trail mix
camera for blackmail later (not to be used on tx_secsy :D)

I really hadn't planned on adding the DB Cooper cache to our hike. It adds about 4 miles to the trip. Does the group want to? Its a Geowyz puzzle cache that'll have to be solved before the hike day....don't have the exact name in front of me, I can post it later if ya'll want.

I hope the weather is as good as it is today huh?!?!? :)

#55 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:03 PM

After FINALLY finding the DB Cooper cache, in Texas that is, I'm assuming the final coords are somewhere around the FCL?

The cache page for "D. B. Cooper Jr. by geowyz! & pnew" is here.  The waypoint is GCGGTR, and yes, it is close-ish to FCL.

When we found it, there had been a forest fire the year before, but the cache survived.

Here's the DB Cooper cache.

#56 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:00 PM

I really hadn't planned on adding the DB Cooper cache to our hike. It adds about 4 miles to the trip. Does the group want to? Its a Geowyz puzzle cache that'll have to be solved before the hike day....don't have the exact name in front of me, I can post it later if ya'll want.

It kinda depends on if we have kids on the hike with us. I am inclined to say no.
gsguru

#57 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,749 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:10 PM

It kinda depends on if we have kids on the hike with us. I am inclined to say no.
gsguru

I really don't think D.B. COoper adds 4 miles to the hike.  It is a slight detour of maybe 0.5 miles round trip.  Do you really want to give up getting a geowyz cache?  The calculation is a simple projection using the grea circle method.
Posted Image

#58 Ivan Tofindit

Ivan Tofindit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:22 PM

This is my first time to use this website, I like it!

I have a detailed PDF map that I made for our boy scout troop when they did the Four Cache Loop. It's more detailed than the download maps from The Lone Star website. It shows where the FCL, DB Cooper and lakes are as well. It might help keep you orientated if your batteries die. It's one of those "Be Prepared" things. It's a 254kb file so I'm not sure if it will post. If it does not post , I will be glad to email it to you.

Ivan

#59 Team Tulip

Team Tulip

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationMissouri City, Texas

Posted 07 October 2005 - 04:37 PM

With the "Better Half" of Team Tulip out of town, I would like to try to accompany you all on this hun but I cannot stay the night.

Is there someone I could car/van/truck-pool with.  Or I could take some folks in the GeoCaching Station Wagon :laugh:

Let me know!
Team Tulip

#60 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:36 PM

gsguru

I really don't think D.B. COoper adds 4 miles to the hike.  It is a slight detour of maybe 0.5 miles round trip.  Do you really want to give up getting a geowyz cache?  The calculation is a simple projection using the grea circle method.

Oh....well I was just goin on what Dave said about the 4 mile thing. I tell ya what. I'll TRY and figure out the puzzle and do some work on it. I kinda learned to read a topo this week, thanks to GW. YOu're right SP....I'd hate to think I was that close to a GW cache and not get it, ya know?

I'm kinda hesitant about the 4 mile addition just cuz I broke my leg in June. I did fine on the 2 five miles jeff and I did a couple weeks ago....but .5 miles won't be bad at all. Hell once ya do 10 miles what another 1 mile huh?

In other words....lemme work on it over the weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users