Photo

Four Cache Loop - Lets set a date

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

Poll: Trying to get a group together for the 4 cache loop...pick the date best for you (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Trying to get a group together for the 4 cache loop...pick the date best for you

1. October 8 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. October 15 (15 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

3. October 22 (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. October 29 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:00 AM

What is the status of this proposed trip? I am trying to get my calendar in line with the kid activites and need to schedule some "ME" time. I am all for camping at HSP. It would be easier than humping all our gear in and back out. (Yes, you can read.... I'm getting older  ;) )

For those of you who are going to the Summer Celebration, we can talk more about this then, I guess.

Let me know.

Thanks bunches
gsguru

#22 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:10 AM

Jeff and I are talking about spending the weekend at HSP. Getting there Friday night....going to the trail and meeting up Saturday morning. Then not have to drive so far Saturday after the hike. However, I have a couple of 13 and 7 year old details to work out....i.e. babysitter for the weekend...and then make reservations. Let me do that today....I'll follow up.

#23 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:16 AM

I will have my children with me if we camp at HGS. They are a 15 YO girl and a 16 YO boy. Maybe they can help out. My daughter is a career GS if that helps any at all. They also each have a cell phone. Hope this helps.
gsguru Diane

#24 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 07:17 PM

How about two groups going? One on the Oct 15 and one on the 22?
Posted Image

#25 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:30 PM

I will have my children with me if we camp at HGS. They are a 15 YO girl and a 16 YO boy. Maybe they can help out. My daughter is a career GS if that helps any at all. They also each have a cell phone. Hope this helps.
gsguru Diane

I'll keep that in mind....my first choice would be to have the kids stay here with a friend, cuz the FCL is about a 5 hour hike, and I'd hate to leave the kids just sittin, but I will keep that in mind. THANKS! :)

#26 Thunor

Thunor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationBaytown Tx

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:53 PM

Count me in for the four cache loop!  And I like the idea of Huntsville State Park.  Just let me know when and where my presents is needed, and I'll do my due diligence to be there.

#27 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 16 September 2005 - 01:33 PM

Well....darnit....HSP is booked as of now. Does anyone know of an Army Corp of Engineers park up there or any other options?

#28 Chance Encounter

Chance Encounter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 01:54 PM

Well....darnit....HSP is booked as of now. Does anyone know of an Army Corp of Engineers park up there or any other options?

For those who can hack it, primitive camping is allowed along the entire length of the Lone Star Trail, of which the Four Notch Loop is but a small part.  "Survivor FCL," anyone???

#29 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 16 September 2005 - 01:56 PM

For those who can hack it, primitive camping is allowed along the entire length of the Lone Star Trail, of which the Four Notch Loop is but a small part.  "Survivor FCL," anyone???

We've not done any primitive camping....I really liked the idea of having showers nearby after the hike....I know I'm a wuss. :-\

#30 tktrekker

tktrekker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationFt Hood

Posted 16 September 2005 - 02:16 PM

Cagle Recreation Area is approximately 8 miles West of I-45 and approximately 5 miles West of the District Office.

Cagle Recreation Area
394 FM 1375 WEST
NEW WAVERLY TX 77358

For more information about the park, please call ( 936)344-6205

Getting There
From New Waverly, Texas, go 22 miles east on Highway 150 to FM2025, then south 1/4 mile to campground.

Double Lake Recreation Area
301 FM 2025
COLDSPRING TX 77331

For more information about the park, please call ( 936)653-3448

these are a couple I could find

#31 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 16 September 2005 - 02:19 PM

Double Lake Recreation Area
301 FM 2025
COLDSPRING TX 77331

For more information about the park, please call ( 936)653-3448

I've stayed at Double Lakes a couple of times. Nice enough and they have flushies!!!

gsguru

#32 tktrekker

tktrekker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationFt Hood

Posted 16 September 2005 - 02:32 PM

well that rules that place out  :(

#33 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 16 September 2005 - 02:34 PM

well that rules that place out   :(

heehee, I got used to looking for campsites that had flushies while camping with 30 girl scouts.... they don't like "outhouses" heehee  :P

#34 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 16 September 2005 - 02:52 PM

Cagle looks good....http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/recreation/sam_houston/cagle.shtml Go check em out see what ya'll think. Its not as close as Huntsville State Park. But what I might do is contact Ty Dolan the owner of FCL and see what his thoughts are on it.

Here's a map of the area http://www.reserveus...=8&lat=11#scrld The triangle right on I45 is Cagle. I'm thinkin that would be best. If you click on the Cagle link you can learn more about it. They have lots of space available.

Unless one of the FCL veterans has input?

#35 Red Eye Rebels

Red Eye Rebels

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationMcKinney

Posted 16 September 2005 - 03:53 PM

I can't help becasue I was in and out on the same day, but from what I have read Ty knows a lot of good places on the FCL, I'll try and see if Ivan Tofindit will jump in as I know he has camped out on the FCL with a bunch of scouts.

#36 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:37 PM

Jeff and I went out to Brazos Bend camping/caching/hiking this past weekend. I haven't logged the caches we got....so the only thing I have to say about the FCL is I hope it cools off! We probably walked 10 miles this weekend.....5 of which were yesterday, and OMG...it was HOT! Lets hope for cooler weather October 15.

So did ya'll looky at the campsites?

#37 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 19 September 2005 - 02:04 AM

Looks like the 15th is out for me now.  I volunteered to help out at the Administaff Small Business Classic -- a Champions Tour golf tournament (you know, geezer golf) in Spring that week and they have me scheduled to rub shoulders with Arnold Palmer on Saturday.  The 22nd looks possible though, mtp, if we decide to set up a second group.  Like you, I'd prefer to travel, get in, and get out all on one day.  The most primitive camping I like to do is in a 45' Prevost!  :D
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#38 Thunor

Thunor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationBaytown Tx

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:30 AM

I have an update on my schedule.  I'll be able to make it Oct 15th, but not Oct 22.  It seems I forgot about a certain cruise to mexico that leaves on Oct 22.  I'll be watching for a more certain date on this trip.  I really hope I can make it.

Cheerio!,

Thunor

#39 tx_secsy

tx_secsy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationAlief Area

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:10 AM

I have an update on my schedule.  I'll be able to make it Oct 15th, but not Oct 22.  It seems I forgot about a certain cruise to mexico that leaves on Oct 22.  I'll be watching for a more certain date on this trip.  I really hope I can make it.

Cheerio!,

Thunor

We're definately going on the 15th for the hike. Ty Dolan has agreed to take us in. I think there's a second group that are planning on making the 22nd their date so that gives everyone a choice.

The group on the 15th is talking about camping at the camp sites listed above in my post. I'm glad you'll be able to make it!

Theresa

#40 ty_dolney

ty_dolney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:35 PM

Here are the campgrounds with flushies.  I've not been to cagle other than a drive through, but I have stayed at stubblefield before.  It's got flushies and showers.  I would definitely recommend a shower after the hike since a couple weeks ago I got into a nest of seed ticks and they got me good ALL OVER!  :o  Those buggers can climb fast!
:D TD

[House cleaning - attachment deleted by admin]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users