15 replies to this topic

#1 RRM10

RRM10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSplendora, TX

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

What's everyone's opinions on the different brands of rechargeable AA batteries?
My Garmin 62S loves batteries, and have been using Energizer 1400 NiMH but not that impressed with them at all.
Have read good reviews on Eneloops but can't find them without ordering off of Amazon. What do y'all use and how long does the charge last in your GPSr?
  • Mustard Devil and cachestacker like this

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=f9f9e7a

#2 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

Standard Eneloops all the way (not the Sanyo XX or Panasonic Pro ones). Note: Panasonic bought Sanyo so you will find eneloops in Sanyo and Panasonic packaging.

In my Oregon 450 I can go mostly all day, greatly depends on back light usage and level

Posted Image

#3 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

Another vote for eneloops.  And I order everything from Amazon so that is where I get mine.

Posted Image

#4 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

I used the Sanyo Eneloop HR6, 2000 mAh.

These last all day, plus some,  in my 62s.

Make sure you change the setting in the 62s for the battery type.  (NiMH).

• ATMA likes this
Posted Image

#5 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:33 AM

I've had good luck with Energizer precharged batteries. Mine are older 2300mh but i believe the newer ones are 2500mh. I also have some older Imedion batteries that work well. I've never tried the Eneloops but have always heard good things about them.

Imo, the main thing is to use a good charger with whichever batteries you end up with. I have been using a La Crosse BC-700 battery charger for a few years now. Two things i like about it are that it charges each cell separately and that you can vary the charging rate as needed. The default is pretty much all i use and my batteries hold up through many charge cycles. It won't overcharge a battery.

#6 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:57 AM

Eneloops

TXGA SETX Representative

#7 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:10 AM

I've had good luck with Energizer precharged batteries. Mine are older 2300mh but i believe the newer ones are 2500mh. I also have some older Imedion batteries that work well. I've never tried the Eneloops but have always heard good things about them.

Imo, the main thing is to use a good charger with whichever batteries you end up with. I have been using a La Crosse BC-700 battery charger for a few years now. Two things i like about it are that it charges each cell separately and that you can vary the charging rate as needed. The default is pretty much all i use and my batteries hold up through many charge cycles. It won't overcharge a battery.

Agreed on a good charger. I use a Powerex MH-C9000 . Similar to the La Crosse

Posted Image

#8 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

We have used eneloop batteries for many years and love them.

#9 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

Eneloops

Duracell at one time were selling Eneloops repackaged. You could tell by the white ring on the top. They were easier to find locally than eneloops. Duracell isn't selling them anymore. I'm sure they've moved on to the newer XX but I don't anything about them. The 16 or so eneloops I have are at least 5yrs old and still work just as good as the day I bought them.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#10 RRM10

RRM10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSplendora, TX

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

Thank you all for the replies, looks like I'll be ordering Eneloops.
I didn't realize the charger would make that much difference, I had planned on just using the Energizer NiMH charger that we had but sounds like a new charger may be a benefit as well. Thanks again!

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=f9f9e7a

#11 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

Thank you all for the replies, looks like I'll be ordering Eneloops.
I didn't realize the charger would make that much difference, I had planned on just using the Energizer NiMH charger that we had but sounds like a new charger may be a benefit as well. Thanks again!

If it's like my old one, your Energizer has to have two cells charging at the same time. Problem is, each cell may have a little different capacity left in it which can end up causing one to overcharge. Try to get a charger that monitors each cell separately. Also, make sure it is not a quick charger. Those things can come in handy if you have to be in a hurry but batteries overheat and don't last as long if they are used very often. From what i have read, 200 to 300 mA are good slow charging rates. Takes several hours for AA batteries to charge at these levels but it is definitely better for them in the long run. Of course the charging rate on the La Crosse, and i believe the Maha, can be upped if you do find yourself in a hurry.

Edited by Mudfrog, 27 July 2014 - 10:59 AM.

#12 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

I am sure the Eneloops and the charger are great if I could every find where I put them. That is the problem with putting things away. I think I have 3 other GPSr but I thought it would be smart to put them all in one place. That is great if you can remember where that place is located. Maybe I need to order some of those GPS tags so I can find my stuff. :D.

Edited by SockPuppet, 27 July 2014 - 12:14 PM.

Posted Image

#13 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

Recently bought a set of Eneloops with charger because I got fed up with buying Duracell's all the time AND I'd bought a portable battery pack for our trip to Alaska.... haven't used them yet (will work my way through the Duracell's first) but was encouraged to buy them by all the positive recommendations.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#14 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

One of the good points about eneloops is they are of the LSD variety so (Low Self Discharge, for you 60's hippies that LSD has a completely different meaning. oh I am from that era, damn!!) they will set on the shelf for months and months and not discharge.

Spending a few extra bucks on a good charger like the Maha, Powerex or Lacrosse is their ability to program various charge / discharge currents and will also cycle the batteries through a programmed number of cycles to keep them fresh and at peak capacity and as previously mentioned charge / discharge each cell independently so you can identify a bad or failing cell. Definitely worth the money if you are going to make the most of good quality rechargeable batteries.

Edited by GASTX, 27 July 2014 - 02:26 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

Recently bought a set of Eneloops with charger because I got fed up with buying Duracell's all the time AND I'd bought a portable battery pack for our trip to Alaska.... haven't used them yet (will work my way through the Duracell's first) but was encouraged to buy them by all the positive recommendations.

The Duracells probably have a 10 year shelf life. I'd keep them as back up for those times you forget to charge or run out of charged batteries. Not sure what kind of flashlight(s) you use but i have found that some AA type led lights, depends on their circuitry, run brighter when alkalines are used.

#16 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

You may consider getting a eneloop branded charger to be sure of the rates and current. We have used an eneloop charger on ours for about 7 years now and all but around 4 batteries are still working great. We started off with 16 of the "AA" types.

• KeyResults likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users