• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TerraTrekkers

TerraTrekkers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

What electric provider are you using and how does it comprare to Reliant. I know there are better ones out there. Just not sure of their service. Any input?

Thanks

Deb and Jim

• thacatfish likes this
" Well , here's another nice mess you've gotten me into " Laurel and Hardy

Posted Image

#2 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:56 PM

We have been using yep but I will be switching to Tri-ENergy or Spark. With the smart meters you can enter your usage and it will calculate the best ones to chose and then you need to look at their complaint history. There are hidden fees, and tier levels of prices. Your electricity is still provided by Centerpoint and it is just the billing.

Here is the link.

myTrueCost.com 

• ATMA likes this
Posted Image

#3 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for that link, Linden.

#4 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for that link, Linden.

My only question is whether I should apply for the 3 yr plan or just a 1 yr plan.

• ATMA likes this
Posted Image

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,912 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

I change providers every time my contract is up.  I had a sweet deal from Green Mountain for 7.9 cents/kwh that just expired (My bill for June was $91), but it was a teaser rate and they wanted me to resubscribe for something like 13 cents/kwh.  I elected to change and the best rate I could get was Discount Power for 9.7 cents/kwh for a 3 year contract.  Almost all of the providers hit you with a $9.95 monthly charge if you use less than 1000 kwh in a month, so read the fine print.  YMMV.

My True Cost is a good site, but they don't have all the providers on there.  www.powertochoose.org is another one.

• ATMA likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#6 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

Reliant has one of the higher rates out there.  

We have been with Champion Energy for that last few years and re-upped just a couple of months ago.  They're still very competitive.

As far as service, any problems you have get reported to Centerpoint.  Centerpoint is the service end of the business for the greater Houston area.

If you choose to go with Champion, we can give you a referral code to get you and us about $25 reward. 

Posted Image

#7 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

I've been with Direct Energy for last few years.  Like the no monthly fees.  kwh X price plus gov't charges you pay with any provider.  They had the absolute best rate a few years ago (2) but now many are in-line and not worth the change for 0.1 cents / kwh.  No matter who you're with, it's worth looking each time your contract is up. Seems now the teasers all cam with higher kwh charges after it was over.  Looking at usage over the past year, mine would come out about the same in the end.  I liked having the consistent pricing without teasers, unless it ultimately benefits me.

Posted Image

#8 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

I too review annually and change providers if someone has a better deal going.  Spark was two years ago, last year (until last week) was Gexa, and now I'm with Infinite.  if you go to www.powertochoose.org   and you'll be able to browse plans available in your specific area/zip code.      Just be sure you are within the 15 day window or your current company can charge a fee for breaking your contract.

Posted Image

#9 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

I too review annually and change providers if someone has a better deal going.  Spark was two years ago, last year (until last week) was Gexa, and now I'm with Infinite.  if you go to www.powertochoose.org   and you'll be able to browse plans available in your specific area/zip code.      Just be sure you are within the 15 day window or your current company can charge a fee for breaking your contract.

Infinite looks like the best deal for me. I need to call then to schedule a switch over on a specific date.

Posted Image

#10 TerraTrekkers

TerraTrekkers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

Thanks everyone for your input.

Posted Image

#11 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

I just called Infinite Energy and Switched to them for 1 yr. 9.1 kwh uner 500 kwh 11.3

Posted Image

#12 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

I change providers every time my contract is up.  I had a sweet deal from Green Mountain for 7.9 cents/kwh that just expired (My bill for June was $91), but it was a teaser rate and they wanted me to resubscribe for something like 13 cents/kwh.  I elected to change and the best rate I could get was Discount Power for 9.7 cents/kwh for a 3 year contract.  Almost all of the providers hit you with a $9.95 monthly charge if you use less than 1000 kwh in a month, so read the fine print.  YMMV.

My True Cost is a good site, but they don't have all the providers on there.  www.powertochoose.org is another one.

I was using Green Mountain too. They give you a nice rate to suck you in but after that it's not very competitive. Thinking about switching myself.

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#13 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

Up here in the hinterlands, we don't have a choice in energy providers. :tickedoff:

#14 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Up here in the hinterlands, we don't have a choice in energy providers. :tickedoff:

I don't think you are missing much as studies have shown that we pay more for electricity that other cities without a choice.

Edited by SockPuppet, 22 July 2014 - 04:53 PM.

Posted Image

#15 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

I don't think you are missing much as studies have shown that we pay more for electricity that other cities without a choice.

If I remember when I get a chance to do so, I'll check and let you know.

#16 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,912 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

We'll soon be getting electricity on our property outside of Fredericksburg.  Our choice of providers is Central Texas Electric Co-op or.... uh,.... Central Texas Electric Co-op.

• Jhawk! likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#17 TerraTrekkers

TerraTrekkers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for all your posts. We decided to go with Infinante. Thanks SockPuppet.

Posted Image

#18 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:10 PM

Thanks for all your posts. We decided to go with Infinante. Thanks SockPuppet.

Looks like Jim and I have Infinite Energy.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users