10 replies to this topic

#1 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

The SPAMmers have somehow gotten hold of my geocaching email address.  It began about 4 months ago and the amount grows and grows.  It's up to about 30 messages a day and growing.  I guess I'm going to have to change it but it's my address on several geocaching related websites including this one, all of which I can't remember, so it will be tedious. 

Has this happened to others and if so do you know how they get them?  I only use it to communicate with geocachers.

Edited by Thot, 17 July 2014 - 03:36 PM.

#2 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

All it takes is one person with your email addy in their contact list so when they get hacked the contact list can get harvested and they are off to the races. My other aggravation is when others with my email addy send out these email blast to everyone they ever met and then those get reply all'd and the list and exposure jumps exponentially.

I combat it (somewhat) by using throw away email addys with online merchants, etc to try to limit the exposure. I only use my personal email addy with the closest of family / friends with a request they don't use it in email blasts, even to other family member's, etc

Just blame Al Gore for not implementing safeguards when he invented the internet.

• Jhawk! likes this
Posted Image

#3 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

Edited by SockPuppet, 17 July 2014 - 04:28 PM.

Posted Image

#4 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,876 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:19 AM

I use earthlink and have the same email address I've been using for everything for years.  I get very, very little spam -- mostly because earthlink apparently has very good spam filters.  An email DID slip through today with a link to a spammy-looking website, lol.

Hi my dear friend
----------------------
18.07.2014 10:31:44
My beauty! Marvelling at thе things that seemed to happen. Stan Roby

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#5 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

Actually, HC, I think that's becuase you're the only one who still uses earthlink.

Even my gmail account has been getting some.  Not in my in-box -- straight to spam.  But for several years that never had anything in it.  Now I have 1-2 a day that started a week ago.  I only notice when I log in on my desktop and see a number there, though.  Never had a spam get through to my inbox in gmail.

• Baytown Bert and Jhawk! like this
Posted Image

#6 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

Actually, HC, I think that's becuase you're the only one who still uses earthlink.

Spammers skip dialup accounts. Lol
  • Baytown Bert and Jhawk! like this
Posted Image

#7 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

LOL  HC just got spammed.

• cachestacker likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#8 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

I've had pretty good luck with gmail. I switched from Yahoo a few years ago because they started to suck on a very special level when it came to spam and hacking of accounts. I keep the yahoo email address and just have all my email forwarded from Yahoo to my gmail account. Yahoo doesn't catch the spam but in the forwarding to my gmail account, gmail catches it. I get a lot of spam from the yahoo account I've been using for a zillion years... to be expected I guess. I just find it interesting that yahoo's filters don't catch it but gmail's does. I've never gotten hacked on my gmail account either (knock on wood).

Good luck with your email switcheroo.... I'd be too afraid to do it... been using the same one for so long it's etched into my brain. /sigh

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#9 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

I've had pretty good luck with gmail. I switched from Yahoo a few years ago because they started to suck on a very special level when it came to spam and hacking of accounts. I keep the yahoo email address and just have all my email forwarded from Yahoo to my gmail account. Yahoo doesn't catch the spam but in the forwarding to my gmail account, gmail catches it. I get a lot of spam from the yahoo account I've been using for a zillion years... to be expected I guess. I just find it interesting that yahoo's filters don't catch it but gmail's does. I've never gotten hacked on my gmail account either (knock on wood).

Good luck with your email switcheroo.... I'd be too afraid to do it... been using the same one for so long it's etched into my brain. /sigh

Budlight@gmail.com?????
Posted Image

#10 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

I use earthlink and have the same email address I've been using for everything for years.  I get very, very little spam -- mostly because earthlink apparently has very good spam filters.  An email DID slip through today with a link to a spammy-looking website, lol.

Hi my dear friend
----------------------
18.07.2014 10:31:44
My beauty! Marvelling at thе things that seemed to happen. Stan Roby

Dang, i'm still using my very first email address that i created on AOL back in 1996. I use it for just about everything online and so far, haven't gotten very much junk. AOL's spam filter works fairly well but it does miss some every once in a while.

This being said, i too have noticed a bit more spam in my inbox these past several weeks. :tickedoff:

#11 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

I get very little spam these days as I think I have unsubscribed to a lot of stuff and I control who gets my email. Those that abuse my email have their directly routed to the trash can.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users