13 replies to this topic

#1 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

Does anybody use this macro with a modern Nuvi for geocaching?

Pilot Snipes Nuvi macro worked with my old Nuvi, but neither it nor Red Roo's version will work with my current one (2495LMT).  It will add cache name and coordinates, and thus navigate to it, but no cache description or logs. 

Roo still updates this macro so I'm wondering if it works with some Nuvis sold in the last couple of years.

Edited by Thot, 01 July 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#2 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

I have a Nuvi 2797 and use that macro and I get the descriptions and logs (you have to tell the macro to do so). I am not familiar with the 2495. To see the data you have to choose the "i" icon once you select the cache from the list.

Posted Image

#3 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Yes, I know to look under I but nothing's there except a distance calculation or something like that.

Here's my configuration screen:

Attached File  Untitled-1.jpg   166.51KB   5 downloads

Edited by Thot, 01 July 2014 - 04:02 PM.

#4 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

Here is mine, I am using V2 of his macro. Much better macro version.

http://gsak.net/boar...=0

Attached Files

Edited by GASTX, 01 July 2014 - 04:26 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

Very strange.  Just today I got a notice of a latest version and I upgraded (it's what made me think to ask here about it)  The version I posted was the latest version I downloaded.  I see from your link there is a later version, but although I have the latest release of GSAK it will not install on my system because it says there's a later version of GSAK.

??????

#6 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

Version 2 of that macro is a complete rewrite of the macro you currently are using. It must downloaded from the website and installed. I dont believe there is a direct way to update from the V1 macro to the V2 version. I used to have trouble with the V1 version on my nuvi (wouldnt always install all of the items I wanted, desc, logs, etc).

What version of gsak are you using? I use 8.4.1.48

Posted Image

#7 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

My version is 8.4.1.47

I've finally got it working (I think).  But, I don't dare try it on my Nuvi because I go out tomorrow and if it were to crash my system I'd be without.  I'll try it later in the week. 

Thanks a lot.  I had no way to know about Version 2 since it doesn't signal an update to v1.  I don't just go check to see if a new version is available since I assume I'll get a notice.

#8 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

I've now tried version 2 and it has much the same problems as I had with the earlier version.  It does seem to have the cache description, but not the logs. 

Attached Files

Edited by Thot, 05 July 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#9 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

Try limiting your logs to one or two and see what happens. That is the only real difference in the settings I use. Dont know if the nuvi will choke on to much data. Just a thought

Posted Image

#10 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

I've already tried limiting the number of logs to 50 and it did no good, but the old Nuvi with the old macro always accepted an unlimited number of logs.  I guess I should say occasionally this onr includes logs, but most of the time not.

Just curious, you only carry two logs?

Edited by Thot, 05 July 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#11 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

Dear God - limit to 50?? I don't have the patience to look through more than 5 to 10 logs if I can't find it on my own anyway.
Posted Image

#12 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

90% of logs today say TFTC

#13 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

I've already tried limiting the number of logs to 50 and it did no good, but the old Nuvi with the old macro always accepted an unlimited number of logs. I guess I should say occasionally this onr includes logs, but most of the time not.

Just curious, you only carry two logs?

I only use my nuvi to see what caches may be on a route I am on. I use just the 2 logs to give me an idea of how recent it was found and do I want to stop or not.

I only keep 2 logs on my handheld oregon. If I run into trouble finding a cache I will use my phone to check deeper in to the history
Posted Image

#14 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

Ah, I see, I don't have a smart phone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users