• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 TxGeoHunters

TxGeoHunters

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

I'm looking to purchase a new kayak, I want a tandem sit on top any suggestions and any suggestions on where to get a good one at?

#2 Cache Control

Cache Control

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

Depends.   Do you want a one piece unit or a multi piece unit that you could do single or 100 on the one yak?  Sit on top or sit in?

#3 TxGeoHunters

TxGeoHunters

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:41 PM

I am looking for a sit on top probably one piece

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:49 PM

For my first one I bought a used orange pelican tandem sit-on off craigslist.  Great deal.  It definitely did what I needed it to do.  Worked the whole first edition of CLAPS and maintained it, all the events, etc.  And I loved it.  Except when I wanted to go paddling but none of the kids wanted to go.  With those non-adjustable seats (unlike like the cool tandem yak BB has that easily converts to a single) I was kinda stuck unless I wanted to truly work to go out.

That said, never so much did I realize how much it sucked till I got my single sit-in.  OMG - what a difference a good yak makes.  I put in 1/4 to 1/2 of the effort paddling my new yak as I did the old one.  Kinda like pushing a aircraft hanger door through the water vs a real boat.  And a good seat seems to cost a lot but is worth every dang penny of it.

My advice is to TRY some different yaks before you get one.  I am sure you can get some yak owners to meet you and try some out.  Between the regulars here who have yaks there are a few different kinds, but not many tandems.

If you have a way of transporting it, you are welcome to try my yaks when I'm back from scout summer camp.  Got paddle around and get some CLAPS caches to try it out.  I live close by the series.

Posted Image

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:26 AM

I have an Ocean Kayak - Malibu Two.  Kind of pricey, but wont turn over easily.

Ocean_Kayak_Malibu_TwoXL.jpg

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,373 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

We have the Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP.   http://www.oceankaya...s/zest_two_exp/    Stan and I had canoed many times before over the years, but I had never kayaked before.  I was a little bit worried about whether we could do it or not and Kevin (Cachestacker) loaned us his tandem kayak to try to do some of the Claps series and let us try it out before we bought one of our own.   From trying his out, we realized that Kevin's kayak was not long enough in the back portion for Stan to stretch out his legs, so he sat with bent legs which got in the way of his paddling.  We decided that we did enjoy kayaking and would like to look into getting one that would be a little longer in the back portion.   We went to REI and pulled down kayaks and sat in them to see that Stan fit with stretched out legs.   The Ocean Kayak was the only one that he really fit in.  Stan is 6' tall.  We then tried out the seats and got some good ones.  Picking out good seats is just about as important as picking out the kayak .  You are probably going to be in the kayak for several hours at a time, so you want some good back support.   You'll also need to pick out paddles.  Choose these based on the style of your paddling.  Do you want to paddlI keep mine tucked away and attached in the bungee area as shown in the picture Baytown Bert posted in the picture of the Malibu Two.  We also got kayak mounts to attached to our roof rack on the top of our SUV.  Trying to transport without good racks going down the freeway at high speeds can be very nerve-racking.   Besides REI, we did get some of our supplies at Academy.  My PFD came from there and it was the last one that they had of the kind and so it was clearance.  I got it for $8 which was a true bargain and is the best most comfortable PFD that I've ever had.  It was a vest that has some neck support, which most don't. 

Posted Image

#7 CANINE QUEEN

CANINE QUEEN

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Tx

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

Austin Canoe and Kayak has in the water kayak demos in the spring (Missouri City) and fall (Kingwood) every year if you're not in a hurry to buy one. I also heard they gave pretty good discounts on the boats they demo. I was impatient so got a Dagger Blackwater off of Craig's list. I got a great deal and have been delighted with it. As already noted, a sit-in required a good bit less effort to move through the water than a sit on top. 

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=ba9998b9-e

#8 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

I'm looking to purchase a new kayak, I want a tandem sit on top any suggestions and any suggestions on where to get a good one at?

I looked and studied and finally ended up buying a 10 foot Perception Sport from Amazon. I guess you would call it middle of the line but it tracks well, isn't too heavy, and works great for me. Ended up getting a pretty good deal with free shipping. Mine's not a tandem but i would imagine there might be a deal or two on those too.

#9 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

Fishing Tackle Unlimited has all the good stuff. Worry about weight capacity, length for Leg room, and width and seat height for dry ride and stability.

You do get what you pay for.

Save pennies for best gel seat and lightest stiff paddle (correctly sized) once you pick your yak.

Used can be a great way to go.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#10 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

And cupholders.  Don't forget cupholders.  ;)

Posted Image

#11 CANINE QUEEN

CANINE QUEEN

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Tx

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

And cupholders.  Don't forget cupholders.  ;)

No kidding! That is one thing I really wish mine had!

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=ba9998b9-e

#12 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

I never knew how much I was missing till I got my single seater.  It really IS the little things. 

And having a good spot for a GPS mount, too.

Posted Image

#13 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

I never knew how much I was missing till I got my single seater. It really IS the little things.

And having a good spot for a GPS mount, too.

And what exactly is your current single seat kayak?
Posted Image

#14 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

I have the Ascend D – 12. They used to sell it at Bass Pro shops. They sell the fishing version now FS - 12. You could probably order the generic non-fishing version if you wanted to.
Posted Image

#15 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

The Ascend is a popular choice in the CLAPS-area geocaching world. 

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#16 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

The Ascend is a popular choice in the CLAPS-area geocaching world. 

I think a few people may have that model.  Or very similar.  

Posted Image

#17 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

Took mine out yesterday to finish putting out my ABPAGS caches and noticed that it seemed heavier when i went to load it on top of the car. Got home to unload and sure enough, heard water sloshing inside. Hmmmmm, first time it ever did that so it had me concerned there for a minute or two. Scanned the bottom of the yak, and except for a bunch of scratches, found nothing that looked bad enough to cause leakage. I looked some more and finally figured out what had happened.

Note to self,,, Before launch, always check to make sure the drain plug is screwed in.    :uglystupid2:

#18 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:28 PM

This weekend I am going kayaking with my father in law and his new kayak at Armand Bayou. Does anyone know how cell coverage is out on the water? My GPS is not working well and cannot keep a charge and so I am going to plan on c:geo...

#19 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

Cell coverage is great on all the CLAPS caches.  Be sure to download a WIG player and the cartridge for HC's CLAPS Wherigo.  You start AT the boat launch.

• DangerKitties likes this
Posted Image

#20 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

Just got back from doing some caching on CLAPS. I wish I saw Cachestackers post about the WIG before I took off!!! To add to this forum topic... My father in law just purchased a Hobie Mirage Oasis Tandem Kayak. It was an amazing kayak to ride in with plenty of space and storage. The kayak even has foot paddles so we were able to switch off between paddling with our arms and feet which helped us go pretty fast.

• KeyResults likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users