12 replies to this topic

#1 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

I am looking to buy a hitch mount bike rack. I am not sure whether I want a tray type or the hang your bike on a frame type. Space / size is not an issue for me.

I would like to hear from those that use (have used) each type. Thanks

Posted Image

#2 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,744 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

Whichever way you go make sure you can lock your bike onto the rack as a friend of mine had her bike stolen off her bike rack. I just put mine inside the car or SUV.

Posted Image

#3 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

I have wondered why the hitch rack would be preferred when I drive around town & see them.

Do you feel it would be more secure? Or do you think the take off/on would be too much of a hassle?

I'm very happy with my rack, where affordability was my #1 priority.

IMG_2049.jpg

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#4 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:14 AM

I currently use a fork mount in my pickup and have grown tired of taking the tire off / on all of the time plus the space the bike takes up is needed for my camping junk, etc.

My hitch mount would stay on the truck most of the time but I have no issue with taking it on / off if really needed. I am very anal about my truck paint, etc and really don't want anything against the paint / body. I don't use my truck / Jeeps for daily use so the rack being left on doesn't expose me to it being stolen / tampered with to much. Also my wife's car (Honda Pilot) can use the hitch rack when needed as well.

Posted Image

#5 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

I have an Allen 540RR.

It slides into a 2" receiver hitch and has a fold up/down carry arm (hanging) that will hold up to 4 bikes.

It also has a pivot for the vertical post, that allows access to a tailgate of an SUV or truck.

I got this at Academy a few years ago for about $99.

It's pretty heavy duty and has a crossbar that I loop bike bike lock through when the bikes are loaded on the rack.

I've had 4 adult sized off-road bikes on it for many trips.

The current model of the same type is now the 542RR

Posted Image

#6 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

I think I've got the same thing MB has.  It's a piece of cake taking on / off the vehicle, and the bike bar part folds flat.  I don't use it much, but when I do it's easy to use, durable, and have no complaints.  Also, I hated adjusting the straps on other types to get it positioned right.  Here there is no thought.

Posted Image

#7 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

I have the tray type and love it!  Bikes go on and off much faster than my BFF, KeyResults hanging model.    While his will tip back when opening the back door of the FJ, mine does not, but the trays fold up on mine and the rack has a slight upward bend in the neck which helps from hitting the ground when going in and out of steeper driveways.

Posted Image

#8 TX Travelers

TX Travelers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

The Yakima Double Down racks can hold anywhere from 1 to 5 bikes. I really like the easy to use latches to lock the rack in place & to fold & lock it down when not in use. Holding 5 bikes is still a challenge with spacing of the handlebars & pedals etc, but for carrying a single bike or 3 bikes, they have good spacing & good tie downs. I have transported many bikes, both road & mountain bikes with the Double Down & the rack performs well at any speed (handles 70 MPH no worries).

Thule also has a few good racks that are competing with the Yakima Double Down, but I'm more familiar with the Yakima brand. Yakima also has bikes racks that will swing out away from the back of the vehicle if you need access to your SUV.

Prices can typically range from $189 - $249 for the Double Down. Its easy to assemble & when buying from a bike sore, typically the staff will assemble it for you if you ask them.

Hope this helps.

#9 CANINE QUEEN

CANINE QUEEN

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Tx

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

I have an Allen 540RR.

It slides into a 2" receiver hitch and has a fold up/down carry arm (hanging) that will hold up to 4 bikes.

It also has a pivot for the vertical post, that allows access to a tailgate of an SUV or truck.

I got this at Academy a few years ago for about $99.

It's pretty heavy duty and has a crossbar that I loop bike bike lock through when the bikes are loaded on the rack.

I've had 4 adult sized off-road bikes on it for many trips.

The current model of the same type is now the 542RR

I have one very similar but it's a Thule. I like the bar type as opposed to the tray because when not in use and folded down they take up a lot less space in the garage and in parking spots. As MB said, one that the vertical post either pivots or (as mine does) can be lowered is super important if you want to still be able to lower your tailgate.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=ba9998b9-e

#10 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:52 PM

Thanks everyone for your input and comments. I will do some looking and decide on a type in the next week or so. Leaning towards the tray type.

Posted Image

#11 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

I did a lot of research prior to purchasing my tray style carrier.    Swagman    Mine carries 2, bikes, while my sis has the 4 bike model.   Check it out. Might work for you!

Posted Image

#12 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

Looking into the Kuat NV and the 1UPUSA tray racks. Both are convertible to 3-4 position if needed (others are as well). Both are over the top engineered with little to no plastic parts. Yeah they are a little pricey. Mind not made up yet. Bit more looking to do yet.

Posted Image

#13 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

I have a hitch mount, hang by the bike frame type bike rack. It has worked very well for us but i will say that we are lucky that we have bike frames that fit it. Bikes with weird curves, extra BIG, or too small an area between the frames don't fit well.  I would say that the tray type might be more universal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users