• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

We just met a troop (Troop 383) from Bryan-College Station yesterday, before they went to Philmont.  I was talking to the scout master, and he said some of them only need to attend an event to earn their merit badge.  Can someone in that area contact them and maybe help out ?

I said I'd ask.

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

#2 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

Is this one close enough?

GC4YR36 Camping and Caching and Celebrating the 4th 

It's at the Birch Creek Unit of Lake Somerville State Park.  (north side of the lake)

Afternoon on July 4th.

gsguru is the host.

It's a pot luck event, and the scouts can bring the peach cobbler....I'm just sayin'  

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

#3 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:18 PM

I'm so glad this was a legit question...when I clicked it, I feared it was our Kitty friend that had some connection with a zero attendee event.

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#4 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:48 AM

I think he meant that they need to attend/host a CITO.  the requirement is to:

8d. Explain what Cache In Trash Out (CITO) means, and describe how you have practiced CITO at public geocaches or at a CITO event. Then, either create CITO containers to leave at public caches, or host a CITO event for your unit or for the public.

In my opinion, the requirements for the merit badge are simply.. bad.  But after talking to the folks that wrote the merit badge pamphlet, I understand it took years to get it approved and a lot of compromises were made.

Case in point,,, I think understanding how UTM works is a very useful skill (like understanding the metric system) but to require knowing how it works for the geocaching MB is simply trying to force an agenda.    I ask you all of you geocachers, whom uses UTM by default when geocaching??  When was the last time you saw a metric speed limit sign in the US?

• cachestacker and green-eyed like this
Posted Image

#5 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

Just a comment about the metric system--we just got back from a trip to Australia, and it sure helped me to understand the metric system when previous logs said things like "the coordinates were about 30 m off to the north". :angel:

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

#6 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

The merit badge requirements do not require publicevent attendance

Repeated from TG's post:

8d. Explain what Cache In Trash Out (CITO) means, and describe how you have practiced CITO at public geocaches or at a CITO event. Then, either create CITO containers to leave at public caches, or host a CITO event for your unit or for the public.

The scouts could just make cito containers (film canisters with a trash bag inside and a cito label on the outside.  Technically they don't even have to place the cito containers, just make them.  

Many of the non-required merit badges have vague requirements that can be interpreted in many ways.  Just be creative.  

However, the merit badge counselor may has their own standards, so find out what those are.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users