19 replies to this topic

#1 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:51 AM

Do you think that there are less people caching in the Houston area than in previous years?  I've done caches over the last few months that I have been the second to find after the cache has been out for weeks.  Even some of the older caches that I have finally gotten around to finding have no new cachers finding them.

Are there statistics for this?

Is it that there are so many caches out there to choose from, the weather, less people caching?  What do you think?

#2 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

If you'll give me what you consider "previous years" I'll try to come up with the answer based on the number of cachers who placed caches in those years.  It may take me a few days.

#3 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

For example, comparing the first 6 month of 2012 to the first 6 months of 2014, how many caches were found (number of smileys logged) in the Houston area? I guess there would be some formula or algorithm taking into account how many caches existed at both times. 

That sounds like a big project, Thot.  You don't have to do it.

Please have it on my desk by Friday or you will not be getting that raise we talked about... and just keep in mind that we are seriously considering downsizing the company.... ::)  :2funny:

• Jhawk! likes this

#4 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

Too. much. math. :buck2:

ngbbs41f3e432482d2_zpsacbce3ca.jpg

• Dhaulaghiri likes this
img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

I think there are definitely more cachers -- a lot of my caches are getting "hit" now by new players every day.  But most of them seem to be newbies experimenting with the phone app, doing park-n-grabs, who are likely to lose interest quickly and fall from the game.  It seems there a less new "serious" cachers who invest the time to really learn the game, solve puzzles, bushwhack to remote caches, join HGCS, etc.  Of course this is just my feel and I have no hard data to back it up.  I'll leave that to the research and marketing department (Thot) to quantify.

• JustKeely, davarle, cachestacker and 1 other like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#6 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

Personally, I'm travelling a ton more this year than the last few which leaves me very little time to cache.    :       Back in last evening again. Argh!

• Huff-Suter likes this
Posted Image

#7 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

We've definitely slowed down our caching runs from previous years.

We seem to have a lot more "other" stuff to do, before we get to go caching.   

We seem to be running at our 2005 pace of finding caches.

Posted Image

#8 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

A bad fall from my jet ski last Saturday has ensured that my geocaching will be very much limited for at least six weeks. If it's an ACL tear, which I should find out next week, then I'm looking at a much longer haul. PNGs anyone? ;-)

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#9 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

A bad fall from my jet ski last Saturday has ensured that my geocaching will be very much limited for at least six weeks. If it's an ACL tear, which I should find out next week, then I'm looking at a much longer haul. PNGs anyone? ;-)

That is what happens when you have not had enough BEER, You got all tense when you started to fall instead of just chillin while you skipped across the water.  GRIN. Hope ya heal quickly

• Jhawk! likes this
Posted Image

#10 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:41 PM

unfortunately.... i understand all too well.... but trust me, you can work around the injuries and still cache.  :)

• Jhawk! likes this
the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#11 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

... most of them seem to be newbies experimenting with the phone app, doing park-n-grabs, who are likely to lose interest quickly and fall from the game. 

But not before they hid and ignore their first cache!

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#12 TxGeoHunters

TxGeoHunters

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

I don't know about past years, but I know that I didn't start caching until March 1st of this year, and we have really been hot on the trail, we should hit 500 in the next few days by the end of the month, not as much as many of you but one day we will be there.  I think if the caching community continues to work on educating cachers, more will come we started caching after going to a class taught by Baytown Bert and since then he has followed up and made sure we are getting connected to the geocaching community he has invited us to events, encouraged me to get on here, and also Houston Control has been another great person to help us if we need it while caching, I have met many great people while caching.  Make sure that we keep teaching people and inviting them to join.

• HoustonControl, cachestacker and Jhawk! like this

#13 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

Welcome, to HGCS, TXGeoHunters!  Just what we need, another Jason on the boards.  :laugh:

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#14 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 28 June 2014 - 05:50 AM

I don't know about past years, but I know that I didn't start caching until March 1st of this year, and we have really been hot on the trail, we should hit 500 in the next few days by the end of the month, not as much as many of you but one day we will be there.  I think if the caching community continues to work on educating cachers, more will come we started caching after going to a class taught by Baytown Bert and since then he has followed up and made sure we are getting connected to the geocaching community he has invited us to events, encouraged me to get on here, and also Houston Control has been another great person to help us if we need it while caching, I have met many great people while caching.  Make sure that we keep teaching people and inviting them to join.

Wow, 500 in just a few months is a lot!  Welcome to the addiction.

Baytown Bert and Houston Control are great mentors and they are great assets to represent the geocaching community.

We met Houston Control while attending one of our first outdoor events.  We were walking in the woods, and ready to find our next cache, and we clearly had no clue how to get there, and even though he had already found the cache, he took the time to walk us there- or we'd still be in the woods flailing around 7 years later.  He didn't have to walk us there, but he is a nice, helpful person.

I could go on about Baytown Bert's contributions, but what clearly sticks out in my mind is his fun attitude toward caching and life itself.  He took me out in his kayak and made my day so special.  Every time I have been in a kayak since, I remember fondly how much fun I had because of him.

"Hooking up" with such nice people have clearly set you on a great caching "career".

• TxGeoHunters likes this

#15 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

In my best old timer voice....

"When we started caching (Dec, 2002), the top cachers in the state only had about 400 caches. We thought that we'd never be able to reach that lofty goal, yet alone catch up to them.  Not too long after that they hit 1000 caches together at GCKQ2N Bull's Favorite Puzzle Pie Cache.

They were such and Inspiration!"

Posted Image

#16 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

Yes 1000 was a milestone and there were fewer caches. Once the micro and now the nano were introduced there are now a lot more caches out there. It is rare to find a regular sized cache.

Posted Image

#17 zoothornrollo

zoothornrollo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • LocationClear Lake City

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

Well, there are certainly a lot more caches hidden these days.  On our first caching road trip out west 7 years ago, we did any cache within a reasonable distance of our route.   On this trip (we are now in California), we develop pocket queries that filter out all the micros and still pass up 20 or more caches for each one we decide to get out of the truck and hunt.  We are pretty picky now about the ones that seem to deserve our time and attention.  Personally, we are getting pretty tired of urban caching.  We are fortunate to be able to hit the road pretty often.  I know many people can't do it.

#18 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

I'm with ZTR...my recent trip made me less enthusiastic of muggle areas...

(but even as I've returned to a location I expected would have no chiggers still equaled a dozen new bites...  :wacko: )

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#19 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

Personally, I do not feel obligated to keep a high muggle cache sacrosanct.  You place them there; good luck with maintenance.

TXGA SETX Representative

#20 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

Well, there are certainly a lot more caches hidden these days.  On our first caching road trip out west 7 years ago, we did any cache within a reasonable distance of our route.   On this trip (we are now in California), we develop pocket queries that filter out all the micros and still pass up 20 or more caches for each one we decide to get out of the truck and hunt.  We are pretty picky now about the ones that seem to deserve our time and attention.  Personally, we are getting pretty tired of urban caching.  We are fortunate to be able to hit the road pretty often.  I know many people can't do it.

I totally like your style.  We've gotten pretty picky, even for local caches.  

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users