#1 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hi all,

Just back from our awesome trip to Alaska where, unfortunately, I cracked the screen on my Oregon 200 (the glass part of the Touch Screen).

I had a screen protector on it and didn't drop it, but have to admit to replacing the screen with an after market one after the original screen got scratched so bad it became very hard to read. I don't want to mess around with the whole screen replacement process again (I posted a topic/video on how to do that and even though I got the job done it was a true pain in the @$$).

So now I'm looking for a new unit to buy and haven't the foggiest (well maybe a little) on which one to go for... what do you guys think/suggest?

I started out caching using the first eTrex model and later upgraded to said Oregon 200. On my eTrex the rubber 'wrapping' came loose after years of extensive use, but I did like the simplicity of it.... however I had to load all coordinates manually (aaarrrrghhhhh..... definitely don't want to go back there!).

I liked the Oregon a lot for it's paperless caching ability (and WherIgo tool) but sometimes became VERY frustrated with the touchscreen (or is that my clumsy fingers?) and it's limited storage capability caching wise.

I don't care a lot about having a map pre-installed, since it's probably going to be US only and I also use it a lot elsewhere in the world, but if it does have one so much the better.

I don't care for a camera feature, as I have a perfectly fine working compact camera and my VIRB.

Lastly, it will be my SOLE device for caching, I DO NOT own a smartphone I can use as an additional device!

Thanks on any advice, or tips on where to get a good bargain (I'm a REI member, so I get a 'discount' there).

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#2 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

Oregon 550 or 650.

TXGA SETX Representative

#3 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

If the 5000 cache limit on a Oregon 550 ($294) is really cramping your style then you will have to go to the Oregon 600 ($399 to $499) series with basically unlimited caches and much higher price.

Yes the 550 has a camera but it is usually a bit cheaper than the 450 which is the same unit just no camera (Note this series is also being discontinued as we speak)

The Montana is also an option but is also highly priced and has a 10K or 12K cache limit.

My .02 worth.

Posted Image

#4 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:18 PM

The 600+ have a much better screen both for visability and touch.

Posted Image

#5 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

Thanks guys!

I forgot to add I probably don't want to spend more than $ 400.00 and preferably less.

A 5,000 Geocache limit is waaaay more than my current Oregon 200 can handle, so I don't expect issues there ;)

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

#6 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

Amazon.com has the 450T for $259 and the 550T for 294. Camera or not to camera. A camera in a GPS'r isnt always a bad thing especially for $40

Posted Image

#7 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:12 PM

The 450 is a good solid unit.

• GASTX likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#8 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,863 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:22 AM

If you're "very frustrated" with the touchscreen, consider the Garmin 62S.  Old school buttons, holds 5000 caches with descriptions, logs and hints... and can be had for $199.  It doesn't have the Wherigo player, but then I don't think any of the new Garmins do.

I know of a couple of local cachers with over 20,000 finds that use theirs daily.  Of course, then you may be "very frustrated" punching on those buttons to enter field notes and additional coordinates!

• Dhaulaghiri likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#9 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

If you're "very frustrated" with the touchscreen, consider the Garmin 62S.  Old school buttons, holds 5000 caches with descriptions, logs and hints... and can be had for $199.  It doesn't have the Wherigo player, but then I don't think any of the new Garmins do.

I know of a couple of local cachers with over 20,000 finds that use theirs daily.  Of course, then you may be "very frustrated" punching on those buttons to enter field notes and additional coordinates!

The touchscreen thing was only occasionally.... the way I read things with the new style they seem to have on the Oregon 500-600 series that may just well be a whole lot better. I've been looking at both 62s 64s and the different variations on those too, and might very well end up buying one of those.

Big bummer on the Wherigo application though, I know there aren't that many around anyways, but I liked to do them every now and then... but I'll live without them just fine  ;)

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

I've ran the Wherigo on my 550, but haven't tried it on my 650.

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

Big bummer on the Wherigo application though, I know there aren't that many around anyways, but I liked to do them every now and then... but I'll live without them just fine  ;)

You've still got your phone (or someone's smartphone - drag someone along).  

Posted Image

#12 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

The wherigo worked nicely at TX challenge on my Oregon 450 when Hans's GPS didn't want to work and .jpeg's cell app failed during our tour. 

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#13 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:42 AM

The 62s is the way to go if you don't want a touchscreen.

• GASTX likes this
Posted Image

#14 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

Bought the 62s online.... can't wait for it to arrive, feel kinda naked without a GPS ;)

• 2katz likes this

#15 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

The 62's are the Toyota's of GPSr's.  Just sayin'...  :angel:   :2funny:

Edited by Baytown Bert, 21 June 2014 - 04:02 PM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#16 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,313 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

Actually the 60 (pre-62) series is more like Toyota. Damn near indestructible and reliable. Kinda of like the Hilux of yesteryear.
  • Dhaulaghiri likes this

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#17 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

Smoke one out!  :smitten:

TXGA SETX Representative

#18 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

Actually the 60 (pre-62) series is more like Toyota. Damn near indestructible and reliable. Kinda of like the Hilux of yesteryear.

I have 2 60csx that I wont part with. Best of the bunch for accuracy and dependability.
Posted Image

#19 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

Just saw the 64s in my REI catalog. Anybody know anything? What's new?
Posted Image

#20 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

Just saw the 64s in my REI catalog. Anybody know anything? What's new?

I went to Garmin.com and selected both units and did a side-by-side comparison.... Very useful feature on the Garmin site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users