25 replies to this topic

#1 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

I guess this falls under geochaching software.  Google maps is software and I'm using it for geocaching (well, sort of).

Google has found it necessary to screw around with their maps again.  They've created two problems (they may well be idiot simple) I haven't figured out how to solve.

1)  They have these photos associated with any location you go to, but when you click on one of them I can't figure out how to return to the map/satellite view.  They used to provide a button that said something like "Return to map"   I don't see that anymore. 

2)  They put this &$#*&%$ thing in the upper left of the map.  It consistently flips up and down like a window shade with a mind of it's own and interferes with whatever I'm doing.  How do I get rid of that damn thing? See picture

Attached Files

#2 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

Never mind on question 1.  I just figured it out.  You press Escape.

#3 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:25 PM

To close it, click the x at the right, and then click in the map (at least I think that does what you want it to do).

#4 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:31 PM

That's the new Google Maps. In the bottom right of the map, there is a question mark icon. Click it and select "Return to Classic Google Maps" if you want to switch back. 

• Jhawk! likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#5 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:31 AM

To close it, click the x at the right, and then click in the map (at least I think that does what you want it to do).

Assuming you mean the X on the right of the red arrow in the picture, that doesn't do it.  The Xs in the box roll up the window shade but do not remove the entire thing and it immediately begins automatically going up and down again.

Edited by Thot, 27 May 2014 - 06:44 AM.

#6 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

That's the new Google Maps. In the bottom right of the map, there is a question mark icon. Click it and select "Return to Classic Google Maps" if you want to switch back. 

Thanks, I hadn't seen that.  It's not that I don't like the new maps but I don't like that one feature.  I like the way the pictures work.  If I could just get rid of the window shade I'd think it was an improvement.  Until they provide a way to get rid of the shade I guess I'll revert. 

#7 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:52 AM

It appears there is no getting rid of the box in the top left. but zooming out one notch makes it less invasive.  (!)  They are integrating a LOT of features here, Jim.  Like everything else, it will be an adjustment, but will give us many more tools on this one screen.

TXGA SETX Representative

#8 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

How do you print a map. I had to do a screen capture and loaded into paint and then printed. Goole maps drives me crazy now.

Posted Image

#9 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

Assuming you mean the X on the right of the red arrow in the picture, that doesn't do it.  The Xs in the box roll up the window shade but do not remove the entire thing and it immediately begins automatically going up and down again.

For me it got rid of the "shade", but I agree it doesn't get rid of that window.

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

How do you print a map. I had to do a screen capture and loaded into paint and then printed. Goole maps drives me crazy now.

Use the SNIP tool, save it as a photo, and print.

• cachestacker likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

I use Firefox.  In it you go to the Firefox File menu (upper left corner) and choose the Print option.  In my version it prints the map. 

#12 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

For me it got rid of the "shade", but I agree it doesn't get rid of that window.

I double click on the area of the map I want to zoom to.  Double clicking simply makes the shade move up an down, and does not zoom.

Edited by Thot, 27 May 2014 - 05:51 PM.

#13 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:20 PM

I use Firefox.  In it you go to the Firefox File menu (upper left corner) and choose the Print option.  In my version it prints the map. 

In Chrome I chose print and then the print box appears and disappears.

Appears to be a bug. Someone ironic since it is Google Chrome and Google maps.

https://productforum...ome/eCRwtCSPwiU

Edited by SockPuppet, 27 May 2014 - 09:26 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:14 AM

Use the SNIP tool, save it as a photo, and print.

TXGA SETX Representative

#15 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:10 AM

Thanks, I hadn't seen that.  It's not that I don't like the new maps but I don't like that one feature.  I like the way the pictures work.  If I could just get rid of the window shade I'd think it was an improvement.  Until they provide a way to get rid of the shade I guess I'll revert. 

Well switching to the Classic maps is a mixed blessing.  It doesn't remember I want the Classic and I have to switch it every time I use the maps.  This is three extra clicks every time. 

#16 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:30 AM

once you have your directions, click "preview all steps" and from there, you'll be able to print.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#17 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:35 AM

God bless you man!

Thot, I've had the same problem. I hate that damn menu in the corner.

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#18 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:08 AM

Well switching to the Classic maps is a mixed blessing.  It doesn't remember I want the Classic and I have to switch it every time I use the maps.  This is three extra clicks every time. 

Okay, I've found a way to save the change but it still comes up with an options thingy on the left that covers up almost half the page you have to click away to get back to the original full map.

Edited by Thot, 28 May 2014 - 07:08 AM.

#19 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

Bueller?

TXGA SETX Representative

#20 GASTX