21 replies to this topic

#1 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

So I'm missing a TB from my Waller Travel Bug Hotel (http://www.geocachin...6c-3c796bc945fe). I've spoken with all the cachers that have found it since it was put there and I've narrowed it down to only one possible person it could perhaps be. This person is new and only has 55 finds. I would like to email her/him but they have not validated their email address on GC.com... so I cannot.

Is there any recourse in this situation? GC.com won't even let me send them a msg through the site. :-(

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#2 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

Not much, seeing they haven't validated their email.  I'm seeing that a lot.  Jenn, TB's are almost a disposable commodity it seems.  I release them and watch them disappear and that is why at my geocaching 101 classes I stress DISCOVERING them so much.

TXGA SETX Representative

#3 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

It's sad and all too common.  Don't send anything out with real or sentimental value and expect that they will disappear sooner or later.  I enjoy travel bugs and help them along on their way when I can, but it is a rare travel bug that survives very long in the wild.

I see that the cacher in question is using the generic log that the Geocaching App defaults for them, "That’s one more find for me! Thanks so much for hiding this geocache."  Since they haven't logged on to the website to register their email address, about the only thing you can do is look back through their log history to see if they ever cache with a buddy and try to track that person down.  You can keep checking to see if they register but chances are that they will fizzle out before then.  Even if they do register, sometimes people just don't reply back when you email them (which is a good indication that they lost it).

Good luck.

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#4 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:15 AM

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well! Thanks guys. :)

#5 TX Travelers

TX Travelers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

We've also had that happen with a cacher who uses a unofficial caching app. I did manage to contact the cacher, but it sounded like his program didn't let him track picking up and dropping off trackables. Or maybe it did but he didn't know how. He told me he put in in a light pole cache is Dallas. =) I think it's a goner.

We've started only putting TBs in premium caches to insure the cacher has registered (and is financially invested) in Geocaching.com.

Good luck with your missing TB! Windknot had a good idea about the buddy.

#6 RRM10

RRM10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSplendora, TX

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

Good luck Jhawk, hopefully they'll drop it and log it sometime soon!!

Going to a cache that shows a TB (or multiple ones) in inventory and finding the cache void of any TB's is almost as bad as the neglected cache issue.

We've all but quit grabbing TB's, the exceptions being when we find one that has been sitting for quite awhile, while at an event and someone is just begging for someone to grab one's from them, or find one in a cache that isn't shown in inventory (this seems to happen a lot). 95% of the time we will only drop a TB in a Premium Member cache, with the hope that it will hopefully get logged it when it moves on. Our best TB resurrection story is one that was last logged while in Colorado, we found the TB in a cache in East Texas 6 years, 5 months after it had last been logged!

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=f9f9e7a

#7 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:14 AM

Wow! That's crazy! I guess you just never know when and if they'll show back up. My geo-buddy found one a while back that had been missing close to two years. :-)

I like moving the TB's on but perhaps I'll stop sending them out. Or at least, I'll do what I've seen some folks do... keep the actual item and laminate a pic of it... then send it on with a TB dog tag. Then, if you lose it, you're not losing the actual item. :)

#8 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

About a year ago, I started giving unactivated or special madeTB's to friends as gifts.  This way I feel like I am contributing to the game and blessing those around me I enjoy the most.  They can add them to their collection, or send them into the wild.

• Jhawk! likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#9 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

Bert, I used to kind of disagree with your mantra of discovering trackables instead of moving them (you still get "credit" for them but don't have to worry about logging them properly or losing them!).  As a TB owner, I want to see my  trackable move, not just sit in a cache and be discovered.  Especially if it is in a mugglerific cache that could end up disappearing along with everything in it.  Grab my TB and get it out of there!

But then I realized that you're generally preaching to newbies in your Geo-101 classes, so maybe it's a good idea that they start off discovering bugs only -- at least until they get all the mechanics down of grabbing, moving, and dropping off the things -- and are sure they're going to stick with the game.  Too many trackables get picked up by new players in their first outing only to never be seen again.

• cachestacker, Baytown Bert, Dhaulaghiri and 3 others like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#10 RRM10

RRM10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSplendora, TX

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

We found a TB in a cache last Saturday that wasn't shown in inventory, so we grabbed it, logged it, and will move it soon. While investigating the history of the TB and the cache it was shown to be sitting in, we found that there were no logs made by a person that had found both the cache it was supposed to be in and the cache it was actually in. Guess the little guy just decided he wasn't happy where he was at and traveled to a different cache a few miles away all on his own LOL!!

• Jhawk! likes this

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=f9f9e7a

#11 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

Could have been that armadillo that found Bert's keys and dropped them on the trail for the others to find.

• Baytown Bert, TexasWriter and Dhaulaghiri like this
Posted Image

#12 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

We have a TB right now that was released in 2003 and has over 83,000 miles on it.  We plan to take it to Australia next month.  Since we are going next month, we are building up a bit of an inventory of TB to take with us.  Normally we don't amass them, but when we plan on a trip, we like to do our part to add some miles on the TBs.

• Jhawk! likes this

#13 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

We have a TB right now that was released in 2003 and has over 83,000 miles on it.  We plan to take it to Australia next month.  Since we are going next month, we are building up a bit of an inventory of TB to take with us.  Normally we don't amass them, but when we plan on a trip, we like to do our part to add some miles on the TBs.

What upcoming events are you attending before then... maybe I can pass you a couple to take.

Posted Image

#14 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

We're not big on events since we are so far from everyone else.  But if we do decide to attend some before we go, I can post a note here and PM you.

#15 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:32 AM

Same thing here, we're going to Alaska in two weeks and any TB that wants some miles on it.....
There's lots of caches over there that don't get a lot of finds with TB's in them, so hopefully we'll be able to bring back some new ones too.
  • Jhawk! likes this

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#16 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:48 AM

I'll be going to Hawaii in June in case anyone wants me to take a TB that direction for them.

Same thing here, we're going to Alaska in two weeks and any TB that wants some miles on it.....
There's lots of caches over there that don't get a lot of finds with TB's in them, so hopefully we'll be able to bring back some new ones too.

I just got back from Anchorage last month and brought back a couple of TBs that I dropped off at the TB hotel by the airport.  There's a TB in one of my caches in Kitty Hollow park that wants to go north. I didn't notice it until I had already come back.

• Jhawk! likes this

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#17 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

This coin of mine has been moving for 7 years and has over 60,000 miles on it.  Occasionally a trackable will surprise you!

Edited by HoustonControl, 15 May 2014 - 08:29 PM.

• Mustard Devil, Baytown Bert and Jhawk! like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#18 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

And don't forget my Travel Bug lifespan study

• Jhawk! likes this

#19 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

Dominican Republic in June.  Not sure you want a TB there, although there does appear to be a lot of traffic.  One cache that holds TB's near our hotel (meeting) is kept in a shack and is presented when you ask for it. and without expecting a purchase.  Not the proper way, but the CO and store owner appear to like the arrangement. One way to keep a cache in play!

• Mustard Devil, Baytown Bert and Jhawk! like this
Posted Image

#20 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

We took a few TB's to Vieques Island in January... didn't leave any there though as there aren't many caches and I figured they'd be there forever. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users