Huff-Suter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSpring Tx

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

Fellow Cacher'ss,

anyone gone out I-10 towards  El Paso..

did you have coverage, did you have dead spots... concerns on Terrain... critters....speed traps....

Team Huff-Suter...
Cachin since-June 29-2011
Posted Image

#2 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,192 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:28 PM

We drove some of that last spring.  The speed limit is 80 in a lot of places.  I don't remember speed traps, but that could have changed.

When you get close to the Mexican border (within 50 or 60 miles), you may find that there are Border Patrol check stations.  You may also see a lot of the green border patrol SUV's parked on the side of the lesser traveled roads.

There will be loss of cell phone coverage in places, so just write a note of what caches you found until you can get coverage.

In general the terrain to most of the caches we did, were not bad.  At Monahans Sandhills, you will encounter some very sandy terrain.

The terrain on the roads is good for your little car.   You shouldn't have any problems getting to the caches.

Be on the lookout for rattlesnakes.  The weather is nice and warm now.  

• Huff-Suter likes this
Posted Image

#3 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,815 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

I know how much Mrs MB likes snakes.

Posted Image

#4 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

H-S, there is nothing of value out that way past Katy.  LOL

• Huff-Suter likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#5 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

My cell phone couldn't even handle Lost Maples for caching last November much less even more beyond the cities! 

Have a blast out there...& don't forget to share your story here! (I've never been out that West)  :)

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#6 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

We were just out there last week. Neither Verizon nor AT&T had great coverage. When we were close to the border both Rich & Lola's phones popped up an alert that they didn't have coverage in that country - it thought we were in Mexico. My cell lost coverage (Verizon) and I had to reboot to get US cell tower connection.  The best thing would be to download the caches and use your app offline for when you have no coverage.

Watch the speed near towns when it drops to 55mph. LOTS of border patrol everywhere. We were divebombed by a Border Patrol plane checking along the highway when we stopped to do a cache and benchmark.

• Huff-Suter likes this

#7 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,192 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

We were just out there last week. Neither Verizon nor AT&T had great coverage. When we were close to the border both Rich & Lola's phones popped up an alert that they didn't have coverage in that country - it thought we were in Mexico. My cell lost coverage (Verizon) and I had to reboot to get US cell tower connection.  The best thing would be to download the caches and use your app offline for when you have no coverage.

Watch the speed near towns when it drops to 55mph. LOTS of border patrol everywhere. We were divebombed by a Border Patrol plane checking along the highway when we stopped to do a cache and benchmark.

What you didn't see were the drones that were following your every move.   :police:

Posted Image

#8 Huff-Suter

Huff-Suter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSpring Tx

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:27 PM

sweet, lot of great advice, now Mel has some work to do, planning the trip and downloading GPX files and downloads, :D gather snake repellants.....and well a drone alert app would be even better.

MB, we might just take the truck on this run..... :ph34r:

Funny story, 2 years ago we ventured out to one of the state parks in the valley and pulled over to grab a cache and well, out of NO WHERE came a border patrol SUV and we slammed the door and keep on, no smiley for us...

Team Huff-Suter...
Cachin since-June 29-2011
Posted Image

#9 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

Funny story, 2 years ago we ventured out to one of the state parks in the valley and pulled over to grab a cache and well, out of NO WHERE came a border patrol SUV and we slammed the door and keep on, no smiley for us...

Why not?

Posted Image

#10 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:03 PM

I remember a couple of years ago while getting counties for the County Challenge down near Uvalde, I pulled to the side of the road -- actually completely off the road -- and as I was signing the log, a border patrol SUV roared up.  He actually pulled off between me and the fence, rolled his window down and asked, "Everything OK?".  I said, "Yeah, just doing a little geocaching" and started to launch into my explanation of the sport, but all he heard was, "Yeah..." and he was gone!

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users