31 replies to this topic

#1 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

Okay guys, here is the deal:  I don't have the scorecards from the Challenge yet.  I did receive the spreadsheet of scores.  There were huge discrepancies in score ranges for each of our thirteen groups.  I am going to list the groups here, with average scores and the point spread between the lowest and highest score in the group.  You will see what you mean.

However, I did some math.  I looked at each group, and added what the score would have been if each person's score was equal to the highest scorer in each.  This is assuming the errors went down, and not up, so keep this in mind.  However, with that math, our team score would have been 270!  We would have beat North Tx's butt!  And I say, we did...because we played fair, and we have the most awesome players ever in our area.  (Then again, their scores were probably off, too...but then again, the cheating...I bet their scores were artificially inflated, and the missing caches kept our people from scoring higher).  If you took the average score from each group and multiplied by members, then divided by the amount they counted for our region (52), you would get 253.  

Here is score averages for groups with the point spread between scores, so you can see how far ranging they were.  We will have to compare this to scorecards to see what explains the differences:

ManofSteel/Adventure777/Karen and Mike: 361.6, spread of 26

Huff-Sufer/TeamRedJ/TxTravelers:  322, spread of 44

Dangerkitties/Kalvey/Aggie85 and Vicki:  301, spread of 82

Dangerman/3Olives/Robin 1:  270, spread of 8

MrMuddyBuddies/Houston Control/Baytown Bert/GGMorton/Rich:  266, spread of 136

marinebuck/windknot: 248, spread of 10

2katz/KeyResults/TexasWriter/Corndoll:  243, spread of 93

Catwoman/Stirfrie2005/both Colters and Mindy: 237.4, spread of 37

HeftyDude, Taz and GSIs:  195, spread of 27

TealCat/Norman/SueandRon: 180.75, spread of 34

GSGuru/Txyankee and rosey:  180, spread of 5

"Team RIverRats" (JHawk and crew): 157.5, spread of 29

Bentandem/Squirrel Trappers/UP Train:  114.75, spread of 5

If you don't see your group on there, that is because they were in the group that got dropped.  They counted 52 of our 64 players (top 80%).  

Basically, from looking at these results, I can see that it worked best to let people figure out their own groups and their own roles.  Matching some slower folks up with some faster ones worked in a few groups there.  Recruiting people who didn't originally sign up, but did after some encouragement from myself and others was a good boon to our group.  We had some pretty low scores among both new people and people who have played before that got dropped.  

• Team_Red_J, DangerKitties and Huff-Suter like this
come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#2 Kalvey

Kalvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationFresno

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

Wow, thanks for putting this together Keely.   I would love to see the spreadsheet for mine.  I took pictures of every page of my score card before submitting, so maybe we can sleuth out why there is an 82 point spread from my team! 

This definitely underscores the need for a new scoring system if teams who cached together have such wildly varying scores. 

Thanks again!

• DangerKitties likes this

#3 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

MrMuddyBuddies/Houston Control/Baytown Bert/GGMorton/Rich:  266, spread of 136

How is it possible to have this much of a spread if we all punched every cache, or am I misinter-pretating sumpin?

TXGA SETX Representative

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

Wonder if the spread issues are fairly even throughout the regions.

Posted Image

#5 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

I wonder for future scoring if it would be a good idea if once the host region scores all of the score cards that all of the region team captains go behind them and double check all of the score cards. So maybe that can help with deter cheating and also have a representative from each region making sure the scoring is fair...??

#6 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

That is such BS!  I know for a fact that our team of Stan, Rich, BB, GGM and I scored 326 points on caches.  Sure, maybe one or two scorecards got punched on the wrong square or something, but 266 points!  With a spread of 136!  That's just piss-poor, sloppy scoring by the host team!  Did anyone on our team get credit for all 326 points?

• JuleeD likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#7 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

I know, Larry...I know.  This is why Jason wanted me to leave the scores alone until we could look at the cards (but of course I didn't listen).  This is an example of what I mean by the spread in scores and inaccurate scoring.  Here is what the spreadsheet has recorded for your group's scores:

Stan 289

Gil    282

Bert  271

Rich  312

Larry 176

It is ridiculous.  The cheating was one thing this year, the scoring was a whole other thing.....

#8 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:04 PM

Further great examples of why I'd rather just attend the Texas Challenge as an event and avoid the competitive part altogether. Waaaaaay too much drama....

• green-eyed and GASTX like this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#9 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,156 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

I know, Larry...I know.  This is why Jason wanted me to leave the scores alone until we could look at the cards (but of course I didn't listen).  This is an example of what I mean by the spread in scores and inaccurate scoring.  Here is what the spreadsheet has recorded for your group's scores:

Stan 289

Gil    282

Bert  271

Rich  312

Larry 176

It is ridiculous.  The cheating was one thing this year, the scoring was a whole other thing.....

Wow! That is incredible!  

This may be the end of the Texas Challenge competition, if scores can't be trusted any better than that.

• TexasWriter likes this
Posted Image

#10 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,371 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

That is such BS!  I know for a fact that our team of Stan, Rich, BB, GGM and I scored 326 points on caches.  Sure, maybe one or two scorecards got punched on the wrong square or something, but 266 points!  With a spread of 136!  That's just piss-poor, sloppy scoring by the host team!  Did anyone on our team get credit for all 326 points?

Maybe some caches that the group found got disqualified.  That's still a huge discrepancy.  There shouldn't be this big of spread in a team, especially as long as it took the scorers to go over the scorecards. 

Posted Image

#11 Huff-Suter

Huff-Suter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSpring Tx

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

I feel much like everyone else, glad to see the scores, but clearly don't understand how the spreads came to play. I know there were 5pt FTF chickens so some teams spreads could be in part to that. but if each team went to the cache and punched the cache.. scores should me much closer for teams.. I am glad you shared with us tonight.....I am very curious to see the cards and then to compare folks in each team to see what was missed....we kept a tally and our team with the value points that were to have been given and the amount we found, should have had 343 each....so 322 isn't too far off for us....

I am still very proud of how SETX played...

Team Huff-Suter...
Cachin since-June 29-2011
Posted Image

#12 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:22 PM

Further great examples of why I'd rather just attend the Texas Challenge as an event and avoid the competitive part altogether. Waaaaaay too much drama....

Even though this was my first TX-challenge and I didn't compete in the hunt I'm with TW on this one.

I'd rather enjoy myself doing some awesome caching with fun people in a new area then being stabbed in the back by cheating teams & bad scoring on the hosting team.... or maybe I'm just a sore loser  :knuppel2:

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#13 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:26 AM

I know they are working on ideas for how to make the scoring more accurate.  TravelingGeek has been working on it, with a few others from different regions.  It would involve going to a different system for "punching" and reading the scorecard.

#14 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

I would be willing to help with that too if needed.  People shouldn't have to think twice about if their score counted accurately or if there was any wrong-doing involved.  A state like Texas deserves better in my opinion.

Hopefully this affected all regions equally and didn't change the outcome.  Either way, I had a fun time despite the problems and will not let it put me off of participating in the future.  

• JustKeely, Baytown Bert, DangerKitties and 2 others like this

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#15 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

If only that fixed the issues with the lack of standarized rules, juvenile behavior by some elements of the competition (e.g. moving caches after finding them, taking them entirely, etc.), wildly varying systems of awarding of points, cheating, etc.

• GASTX likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#16 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

Sounds like they need some caching referees issuing red cards and DQ som teams. I would volunteer to do that if they would let me carry a paintball gun to mark all the DQ players :D.

Edited by SockPuppet, 23 April 2014 - 02:07 PM.

• Mustard Devil and TexasWriter like this
Posted Image

#17 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

Maybe I've been watching too much "I Almost Got Away With It" on Netflix, but what if we could rig a system that if a Texas Challege cache was "moved/pulled" it would put off a red dye such as what happens to theives who steal from banks ;)

Texas Challenge SE Edition...
Bring it
*insert Mustard Devil's smiley here*
  • Jhawk! likes this

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#18 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

I agree those are some large spreads for some teams. Will be interested to see what the score cards reveal when/if we get them back.

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#19 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

After being involved with the scoring in 2011, I can tell you it is not an easy task -- and is very time consuming.  We had 5 people tabulating scores, and it still took several hours.  We also had reps from each hunting team sitting in the scoring room observing.  They didn't exactly double-check all scorecards (or any scorecards), but were basically there to make sure things were on the up-and-up.  We used an Excel spreadsheet to do the scoring and, my gut feel is, we had very few errors.  After scoring a few cards, you began to see a pattern emerge depending on which area a participant was hunting in, which made it easier to double-check any outliers.

• DangerKitties likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#20 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

Well, speaking for my team... it took us a few stamps to figure out exactly how it had to go for it to be stamped in the right place. We were on the line on a few... we didn't know if they would count those or not. I was hoping so since we surely can't be the only team that misses the mark here and there and each stamp is individual so that should indicate which cache spot was meant to be punched but... who knows? Plus there was one stamp... it was some kind of a hand, and it was along the creek path near town... that was jacked up and we couldn't get the whole thing to punch right. Our thought was the scoring folks would see that a lot of people were having issues with that cache stamp and count it. But again... who knows?

I don't imagine it's easy to count the scores and surely there has got to be an easier way.

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users