HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

*BTU -- I like that!

I bought my 62S from REI a couple of years ago, brand new in the box for $279.  That was a great price at the time.  I've seen them at Academy over the holidays for $199.  If I were in the market for a new unit right now, I'd look hard at the Oregons... but not sure which one I'd go with.

Most of the "geocaching friendly" units -- that support "paperless" caching (ie you can read cache descriptions, hints and logs right on the unit) have a "field notes" function.  It remembers which caches you found during the day, along with any notes you made about the find.  You then connect the GPSr to your computer at the end of the day and upload the notes to GC.com.  They show up on your account as Field Notes.  You still have to go through and complete the logs for each cache and submit them, but it makes keeping track of your finds much easier.  Some power cachers will upload their field notes to GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife -- a geocaching database program) and use a macro on there to auto-publish all their logs.  Easy-peasy!

Bottom line is, things have evolved quite a bit since the early Etrex days!

Edited by HoustonControl, 14 April 2014 - 03:14 PM.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#22 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:57 AM

Other members will often almost give a GPSr away when they upgrade, so keep your eyes peeled on this Board and on SETX facebook page.  Note that the two most popular GPSr units are a bit different in operation.  The Garmin 60/62's use buttons and the Oregon/Montana's are touch screen.  Both are very accurate with maybe the 60/62's being better due to their larger antenna's?  When caching with the folks that use the older style 60/62's, it appears if there is a disagreement in where the coords are pointing, I've found that when my Oregon is off from what the group sees, it's the Oregon that is inaccurate slightly more than the 60/62's.  Usually, they are in perfect agreement.

TXGA SETX Representative

#23 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:05 AM

Take what HoustonControl said about Field Notes as gospel and if by chance, you do not have the geocache loaded into your GPSr when you find one, log it in the field with your smartphone and it will appear as found when you log into GC.com.  This way you don't lose track of what you found and by golly, its easy to do and all of us have done it. 

I upload my field notes when I come in from caching and log them properly adding any notes I made in the field, etc, which incidentally show up with the Field note log, then I add any photos I took and submit it.  After I'm done with logging what my field notes showed, I go back and edit the logs I submitted with my phone - SLTFTC More later - left when I logged it in the field. 

I try to never leave a log that reflects that the cache wasn't worth a proper log.  TFTC  SLTFTC  TNLNTFTC

TXGA SETX Representative

#24 pogo9959

pogo9959

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:03 AM

- SLTFTC More later - left when I logged it in the field. 

I try to never leave a log that reflects that the cache wasn't worth a proper log.  TFTC  SLTFTC  TNLNTFTC

I was doing a fair job of keeping up when we hit this stretch of road. I try to do my homework like a good boy, but didn't find the decoder ring in either acronym/glossary page I am aware of. I have even studied Egyptian hieroglyphs, and it didn't help. No decrypt button, nothing. I'm going to end up in a bar over this, can see it coming...

Cheers!

Kurt M.

#25 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

- SLTFTC More later - left when I logged it in the field.

I try to never leave a log that reflects that the cache wasn't worth a proper log. TFTC SLTFTC TNLNTFTC

I was doing a fair job of keeping up when we hit this stretch of road. I try to do my homework like a good boy, but didn't find the decoder ring in either acronym/glossary page I am aware of. I have even studied Egyptian hieroglyphs, and it didn't help. No decrypt button, nothing. I'm going to end up in a bar over this, can see it coming...

This should help.
http://geolex.locusprime.net/

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#26 pogo9959

pogo9959

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

Thanks Team, it did indeed. I had seen that page, but it slipped my mind. Took a while, but I finally got it figgered out.

(Part of what I figured out was to the add lexicon pages to my 'geocaching' Favorites folder - that oughta make things a little easier in the future.)

Edited by pogo9959, 15 April 2014 - 10:21 AM.

Cheers!

Kurt M.

#27 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

10-4  :smitten:

TXGA SETX Representative

#28 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

You can also post field notes from the smartphone for later converting to "real" logs, but it tends to jack with the uploading of field notes from the GPSr.  The times are usually different because one uses GMT instead of local time or some such thing -- so the order of the finds is off.  The other thing is, if you don't completely delete the "geocache visits.txt" file from your GPSr after the previous outing and you upload it with the box check on the upload page that says "ignore logs before <date> <time>" checked (so you don't repost all the field notes from your last outing... or 6), the date and time in that box will be when you posted the field note from your phone.  You may only end up getting a few of your field notes from the GPSr file.

You can always open the "geocaching visits.txt" file in notepad, edit it to only include the logs you want, then save and upload it to GC.com.  Kind of a pain, but I've had to do it more than once.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users