27 replies to this topic

#1 pogo9959

pogo9959

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:11 AM

I have a slight bit of geocaching experience from circa 2003 or so, and have memories of interesting places it led us to. Last week while my car was in the shop, I suddenly realized my smartphone might suffice for a bit of local geocaching, so I tried it and had a good time. So then I dug up the little yellow eTrex handheld GPS I still have from a decade back, loaded batteries, fired it up. Not too impressive.

With a smartphone (G3 in my case), I simply turn it on, tap up C:geo, and I'm in the game. But with the GPS, I first must remember to bring it, then after powering it on must wait five minutes for it to find its bearings (seems to take forever to acquire the satellites), and then must load, or have loaded, the coordinates as waypoints, and then make sure the sky above is unobstructed, and then ... well, you get the idea. Smartphone seems a no-brainer, why would anyone want to use a GPS and futz with one tedious detail after another?

In town, I mean. I can see where the GPS might be preferable in less urban environs where cell towers don't sprout like weeds. Please also note that my experience with GPS devices is actually limited to this one unit, as described above. No, seriously, I have never used any other. Is it possible I have a seriously ancient unit that's best put out to pasture?

Cheers!

Kurt M.

#2 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:33 AM

I have used my yellow etrex for all but about 1000 of my 5500 plus finds. It does its job with no problem in my book. I write down all my caches coords that I plan on doing then plug them into the etrex as I go

#3 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

While that IS an ancient GPS, it does the trick.  There are much newer, fancier ones now.  Come to an event and check some out.  That said, plenty of people cache only with their smartphones.  Great for finding, but not so much for placing.

• TexasWriter likes this
Posted Image

#4 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

I started with the yellow eTrex and was so familiar with its operation that I could move around the screens with one hand. I used it so much that the rubber button bandaid came off while caching at night. SInce it was black and white it used very little power. Using my iPhone the use of the GPS uses up the battery really fast. The phone actually gets warm to hot. That is why I don;t use a smartphone for caching unless it is just for a few. Also I only use the free app and it is now very limited and the moving around the app is a bit flaky and non-intuitive.

Posted Image

#5 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

Depends on location. Both have pros and cons. Can't always get a good cell signal or a goog satelite lock.
I use my gpsmap 62s mainly cause the batteries last a lot longer than my cell.
The garmin also seems to be more accurate tham my phone.

#6 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

I have used my yellow etrex for all but about 1000 of my 5500 plus finds. It does its job with no problem in my book. I write down all my caches coords that I plan on doing then plug them into the etrex as I go

The downside is miss entering the numbers. Also unless you have the special cable all the caches have to be entered one at a time versus uploading them from the web.

Posted Image

#7 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

I just plug in one cache at a time. Find it then plug the next in. Sometimes I find the cache on my phone app plug coords in the gps and log on the phone. Depends on how many I plan on finding

#8 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

I almost exclusively use the GPSr.  The phone just chews through the battery life too quickly, plus it's a bit hard to see the screen in bright daylight.  The accuracy seems better on my Garmin 62S when bushwhacking through thick woods and it's nice to have a rugged, waterproof unit on a lanyard around my neck rather than trying to handle a phone in the field.  I download pocket queries of the Houston area, filter out missing caches, then load about 4000 of them into the unit in 15 seconds and off I go.  I also have a Garmin Montana I use for in-the-car navigation (and occasionally for caching in the field) that holds up to 15,000 caches, so I can cover all of SETX with it, for the most part.

Besides, I'm too busy using my phone for Munzee's, Facebook and the Untappd Beer app! :laugh:

• Team Troglodyte, cachestacker and green-eyed like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#9 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,297 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

The eTrex line has been updated a few times since 2003. The yellow circa 2003 eTrex is quite a bit slower and not as sensitive.

The newer yellow eTrex that looks identical has a newer GPS hardware which is far more sensitive and has a usb connection vs. serial.

The eTrex has since been redesigned with even newer hardware and different housing.

Honestly. Since you're just starting out / getting back into it continue with your cell phone. It's way better than your yellow etrex of yesteryear. Just be mindful of your battery usage.

If you find that you're caching under the tall pines of East Texas on a 10 mile loop in the middle of nowhere a handheld weather-proof GPSr would be prudent.

c:geo can use static/offline maps and store a database of caches locally. This will negate any need for cell coverage.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#10 RRM10

RRM10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSplendora, TX

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

We use our GPSr's most of the time, and any time it's not a typical urban P&G type cache. I make sure any puzzle caches we are attempting to find have the updated coordinates entered on the cache page, then run and download the pocket quarries to the GPSr's.

We use the iPad with the geocaching.com full app installed while in the truck to help with navigation to a specific cache location or to check past logs and stuff if needed. If we are strictly on a P&G run, which we'll do well after dark on some weekends, we'll use the iPad instead of GPSr's because of mapping, you pretty much can tell which LP that LPC is hiding under on the iPad. Also use the iPad for logging finds, DNF's and such from the field (back in the truck), but you have to keep it plugged in because that app really sucks the battery life. I also use my iPhone with the full app for daily finds to or from work, as most of these are going to be a P&G type cache, and will also use the iPhone out on trails if we need to read past logs, as long as ATT has service in the area anyway. 

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=f9f9e7a

#11 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

I do what HC does because he's my hero.  :angel:

• CANINE QUEEN likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#12 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

Take it easy on HC as the shareholders just voted for a 30% pay cut for him and his fellow execs. :D

Posted Image

#13 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

Take it easy on HC as the shareholders just voted for a 30% pay cut for him and his fellow execs. :D

Darn.  There went my Golden Parachute!

I will use the phone for impromptu caching and it usually serves me well.  I'll also pull it out when I need a satellite view of the area, or need to read past logs on a cache that go back further than the 5 or so I have in my GPSr.  I was doing some power caching last year with some of the top cachers in the Houston area and had to resort to the phone when we ended up in an area outside of the PQ I had in my 62S.  We were finding them faster than I could pull them up and log them using the phone app!

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#14 One of the Texas Vikings

One of the Texas Vikings

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • LocationHumble

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

I use an older Garmin Vista Hcx and log my finds, view previous finds, check hints, etc on my Pocket PC.

Maybe old school, but it works for me. Besides, it seems like my phone battery would not last that long.

#15 pogo9959

pogo9959

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

I just Googled 'Garmin 62S', came up with a street price of $759, dangnear had a coronary paroxysm. Jumpin jiminy, I was thinking 1 BTU* was a lotta moolah! Good heavens, guess that answers my question ... ancient eTrex =   :disappoint: , new GPSr =  :startled: , smartphone =  :yoman:

* BTU = Basic Toy Unit, or $100.00.

Cheers!

Kurt M.

#16 RRM10

RRM10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSplendora, TX

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

You can get a 62S for $300-$350, check REI, Cabela's, someplace like that.

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=f9f9e7a

#17 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:15 PM

If you want a great unit, the Oregons are really nice.  Get an older one like the 450 that still has paperless caching (has full cache pages, hints, some logs, etc.), does Wherigos, and other stuff you'll likely never need.  Much more reasonable than current models.

That said, that seems a bit high.  But definitely won't be 450 prices.  I've seen 450s on sale well below 2 BTUs.

Posted Image

#18 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,297 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

Amazon has the 62s for $230.

GPSCITY $300.

There are other brands too that have Geocaching features. The Magellan eXplorist MSRP is $159.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#19 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

I think I have seen the 62s for $169 during a sale.

Posted Image

#20 pogo9959

pogo9959

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

Whew - that sounds more like it! Guess maybe I ought to have been asking about recommendations for budget priced GPSr's that are suitable for geocaching since it's obvious my Googling skills are the pits. Are there bargains on older-but-still-worthwhile units on eBay, or is that a wasteland of frustration for this sorta stuff?

Keep those cards and letters coming, folks!

Cheers!

Kurt M.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users