• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Cache Control

Cache Control

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:05 AM

Don't feel bad I looked for a time <over a couple Months>on my first cache.  The NUVI for the car is not recommended for out of the car use. IMOM.   Some times it helps to go with someone who has found one so ya kinda get to see the different types of hides.

#22 CANINE QUEEN

CANINE QUEEN

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Tx

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

C:geo is the preferred app for Android, from what I understand.  When I'm using the smartphone I often just look at the satellite view and compare it to my surroundings -- which gets you very close to where the hider says the cache is.  If it indicates the corner of a building or the last lightpole in the aisle of the parking lot, I can go there without even worrying about the GPS signal I'm receiving today.  That doesn't help a lot on a cache like Hope, though, where theres lots of tree cover and they all look alike from overhead.

There's a cacher on this forum who has found over 1000 geocaches without a device of any kind.  He just looks at the Google Map view, makes a few notes, and goes by that!

That makes a lot of sense to me. I tend to get caught up these days "following the needle". A lot of times I think I would have been better off following my "geosense"!

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=ba9998b9-e

#23 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,192 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

When we DNF a cache, it just means that WE couldn't find it.   Sometimes it's still there, or nearby, and the next finder is usually someone with only 20 finds or so.  This has happened more times than I care to mention.  The latest episode is this cache:

GC2CN1P Paca Gardens by cds

Posted Image

#24 One of the Texas Vikings

One of the Texas Vikings

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • LocationHumble

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

Since I prefer to camouflage as well as I can, sometimes mine are not found as often as others. But to me, that is half the fun.

If I get several DNF's, then I will go and check it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users