23 replies to this topic

#1 pogo9959

pogo9959

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

...If a cache is still there? I just started this, and haven't found a cache yet. True, I've only tried three (very local) locations, but one of them I've been to three times, gave it an authentic go each time, and still never found it. Now, if I KNOW the cache is there, then I'll continue trying to divine the clues and ferret it out ... but how can I KNOW? Last reported find was a month ago, which seems typical of all three caches I have taken a shot at so far.

My car's in the shop, is why I'm limiting my range and scope.

Cheers, Kurt

Cheers!

Kurt M.

#2 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

When I started that's one of the questions I had too...

If all else fails, you can message the creator & they can set you on the right track, (if they still play...I know I've DNF'd a lot from people who are gone now).

I can guarantee all 5 of my caches are out there, because, I only have 5  ;D

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#3 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,001 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:57 PM

What do the latest logs say?  If there are several DNFs, it may be gone.  But if the last few are smileys and it's been a long while, who knows. 

Post a few you've looked at.  Maybe someone here has done them before.

Posted Image

#4 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:44 PM

Try to come to an event soon and meet a few people.  I'm sure someone that lives near you would be willing to tag along with you for a few to show you the ropes until you get the hang of it.  Try to pick out some larger ones if possible for your first ones and also ones with a small number for the difficulty rating. 

Posted Image

#5 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

...If a cache is still there? I just started this, and haven't found a cache yet. True, I've only tried three (very local) locations, but one of them I've been to three times, gave it an authentic go each time, and still never found it. Now, if I KNOW the cache is there, then I'll continue trying to divine the clues and ferret it out ... but how can I KNOW? Last reported find was a month ago, which seems typical of all three caches I have taken a shot at so far.

My car's in the shop, is why I'm limiting my range and scope.

Cheers, Kurt

Kurt, what part of the Houston area are you in?

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#6 pogo9959

pogo9959

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:47 PM

I'm in League City, sorry. I need to update my profile stuff (done), always like it so much better when people list where they are.

The cache I'm studying is "Hope" in League City, mostly because it's near to home, and because I've been "haunting" Fairview Cemetery on a regular basis for upwards of forty years. All indications tell me the cache is a going concern, and I was just about ready to contact the creator but discovered this forum and thought it better to ask this question here as a general thing.

Edited by pogo9959, 10 April 2014 - 09:52 PM.

Cheers!

Kurt M.

#7 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

I remember finding that cache a few years ago but cannot for the life of me, remember how it was hidden. If i'm not mistaken, we had a DNF on our first try too. I'm thinking the coordinates may be a little off but the hint does help to get you to the cache. ATMA are some nice people so don't hesitate to give them a hollar if you like...

#8 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:47 AM

It's been 6+ years since I found Hope. (Feb 2008) But as I recall she was along the fence line to the west side of the cemetery,to the right of a tree as you walked in from the most convenient parking. What equipment are you using for your hunt? A cell phone app with accuracy of +/-120 fits doing you no favors in a hunt like this. I'd recommend a Garmin handheld.

Good luck and good hunting!

#9 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:06 AM

Look along the fence line.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 11 April 2014 - 02:09 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#10 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:19 AM

As an iPhone dependent cacher, I remember that one being pretty
on target...as a hint: ...Hope doesn't float, she flys...
You're looking for her home.
(This might be one of those hints you get aaaafter you find it though, like an ah ha moment :P)

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#11 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

I remember when I started caching i had a particularly hard one (at the time). It was called "Goal" on the corner of Clay and Britmoore (http://www.geocachin...he/GC22ZM2_goal). I don't know why, but instead of contacting the CO, I contacted a previous cacher who had recently found it. BigBangers answered me right away and on my third try I was able to find it. So that is always an option too, if the CO doesn't respond or is no longer caching. :)

Good luck!

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#12 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,877 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

I found that one over 8 years ago.  Gosh, I've been at this a while!

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#13 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:27 AM

http://www.geocachin...che/GCT8KE_hope

I suspect it is there since it was last found on 3/24/14

Posted Image

#14 pogo9959

pogo9959

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

Thanks, all! I'm sure it's still there, and that I've probably trampled it to death already. I've studied the fence line and know it isn't on the ground, so the problem is I'm just blind as a bat right now. I expect that once I bag a cache or two, I'll get the hang of ferreting out hiding places and find it a lot less difficult. Also, I'm confident that ATMA, and all of you for that matter, are good people; won't hesitate to contact any of you if I need or want to. But there's no reason to get too antsy about this one ... after all, what's time to a hog, right?  :laugh:

I'm using my G3 Android device, since it suddenly occurred to me that I can a few daze ago (canoe paddler's motto: "I Get There Eventually"). I have an old eTrex, but it doesn't seem to eager to work, just kinda stalls in acquire mode, never quite gets around to actual acquisition where I can get on with my life. Maybe I need to whack it on/with something hard?

Cheers!

Kurt M.

#15 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

i'm in league city and several who replied here are in the general clear lake area.  i'm able to check on caches, especially if I've found them, easily to help out.

our next monthly ABC dinner event is next week:  http://coord.info/GC51FB7  come out and say hello, meet some of us and get some fantastic hints/help from anyone in attendance.  we're a friendly bunch.

for the android - make sure your GPS is turned on.  if it's not actively turned on, it'll put you somewhere in the general area (maybe) and you won't quite make the finds. 

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#16 pogo9959

pogo9959

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

Yes, make sure GPS is turned on, excellent idea. I was sure it was, but didn't know how to check, so I tapped "samsung g3 turn on gps" into Google and got clear instructions instantly. Yes, it's turned on...

(I'm actually fairly new to smartphones, and what's worse, an "old guy", so never hurts to be absolutely positive about these things. Most folks want to upgrade their smartphone, but my smartphone wants to upgrade me.)

EDIT: Oh yeah... the app I'm using is called c:geo near as I can tell. Sounds more like a file path than an application name, but that's what I'm getting...

Edited by pogo9959, 11 April 2014 - 10:25 AM.

• TexasWriter likes this

Cheers!

Kurt M.

#17 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,877 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

C:geo is the preferred app for Android, from what I understand.  When I'm using the smartphone I often just look at the satellite view and compare it to my surroundings -- which gets you very close to where the hider says the cache is.  If it indicates the corner of a building or the last lightpole in the aisle of the parking lot, I can go there without even worrying about the GPS signal I'm receiving today.  That doesn't help a lot on a cache like Hope, though, where theres lots of tree cover and they all look alike from overhead.

There's a cacher on this forum who has found over 1000 geocaches without a device of any kind.  He just looks at the Google Map view, makes a few notes, and goes by that!

• CANINE QUEEN likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#18 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

c:geo in my opinion is the best app available on Android.

You can check your accuracy at the bottom of the main screen.

Accuracy is in the middle. For example the 16ft noted in the image below means that your location can be anywhere around you within 16ft. If the coordinates for the cache you are seeking are extremely accurate (highly unlikely because the person that hid the cache used a consumer grade GPSr) you would be within 32ft +/- of the cache. A good rule of thumb is to double the accuracy of your gps and use that as your search radius from where you're standing. If the accuracy appears to be erratic and jumps around a lot this typically means there is a good bit of interference / poor view of the sky / etc. Good luck in that case.

Also with the above once you get within 10ft of the cache according to your GPSr... put it away and rely on your senses and the grey matter between your ears. You won't find anything when you're wasting all your brain cycles thinking about your GPSr.

After you get some finds under your belt you'll start to learn how folks tend to hide caches and develop the mindset and "geosense" of a geocacher.

Attached File  cgeo.png   334.62KB   7 downloads

• Jhawk! likes this

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#19 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

C:Geo is awesome... I love it. Been using it exclusively since I discovered it. If you're in a bad coverage area, you can store caches for offline use... I've found this to be very handy since I have T-Mobile, which stops working two miles outside of any large town.

Well, I *did* have T-Mobile... as of next week I'll have AT&T because I can't stand it anymore. LOL

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#20 pogo9959

pogo9959

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

Wow, interesting stuff since my last post! Thanks especially Team Four Paw, the accuracy meter explanation helps a bunch. I had already assumed any old GPS device would only get me in the general area, and not pinpoint anything. Heck, I was figuring a twenty or thirty foot circle would be doing good, and a radius of fifty feet or even more was at least possible.

So today I tried it again (before reading these latest entries), and the phone took me to a different place than the first time (didn't even look at it yesterday, tried using gray matter instead). The spot I was led to was very near the tree line and fence, and when I finally satisfied myself I was where the thing was pointing me, looked up and there it was right in front of my nose, lol.

Then I got to thinking maybe I oughta change the name of this thread to "How do you know when your phone is really smart, or just smarting off?", but I already seem to have my answer.

Nice to know my app gets good reviews. I'm on the AT&T nutwork, so signal strength is seldom an issue.

• Dhaulaghiri, green-eyed and Jhawk! like this

Cheers!

Kurt M.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users