34 replies to this topic

#1 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

Well here is my take on how Lab Caches are counted... It is stupid.

1. They count towards your total finds.

2. They don't count towards milestones (GC milestones list in your stats).

3. While some say they are counted like benchmarks they are not.

My simple thought... either count them like benchmarks, ie they don't count in your find count

or

count them like finds and make them count towards milestones.

Adding to the confusion is that they are not included in your found PQ so you have to add them to GSAK manually and then they don't have an icon either....

Thoughts???

Edited by ohl hockey guy, 24 March 2014 - 10:40 AM.

• DangerKitties likes this
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

I agree. It is ridiculous how they have it right now. It is very confusing to see one number on my finds at the top of gc.com but a completely different actual find count...

#3 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

I am considering deleting the lab caches I have done so that my numbers match up.

• green-eyed likes this

#4 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

Good luck deleting the finds.  I added them manually to my Found database in GSAK, using the "Other" cache type.  Folks have petitioned Clyde to add the icon to GSAK but so far he hasn't.  First I've noticed about them not counting towards milestones, since I haven't hit a milestone since finding the labs caches last summer.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#5 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

I waited until after logging the mega as my 500th cache milestone before hunting the lab caches.  Does that mean that next milestone at 600 will actually show the cache that I got at 607? 

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#6 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

I waited until after logging the mega as my 500th cache milestone before hunting the lab caches.  Does that mean that next milestone at 600 will actually show the cache that I got at 607? 

that's what it looks like to me.  powerdog02 hit his 400th cache milestone at the mega and he stopped logging last night when he got that.  we forgot he had a lab cache in February, so when I started looking at it, the count was off. 

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#7 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

This was like the superman challenges.  First they counted them.  Then they didn't.  And it hosed everyone's stats.  Thanks, GC.com!  :buck2:

• Cache Control likes this
Posted Image

#8 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

Good luck deleting the finds.  I added them manually to my Found database in GSAK, using the "Other" cache type.  Folks have petitioned Clyde to add the icon to GSAK but so far he hasn't.  First I've noticed about them not counting towards milestones, since I haven't hit a milestone since finding the labs caches last summer.

Milestones.   Our next GC.com milestone will be 20000.  It may be a few more years before we get there.

Probably would have forgotten about lab caches by then.

Posted Image

#9 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,820 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:25 PM

What's a Lab cache?  :stirpot:

Edited by SockPuppet, 24 March 2014 - 04:25 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

What's a Lab cache?  :stirpot:

:wwf:

• Cache Control likes this
img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#11 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

And this is why when people asked me at the Challenge if I had gotten any of the lab caches I said I wasn't going to. I could tell it was going to be a mess, and since my OCD insists on having my GC.com find number match my GSAK find number, I simply threw the baby out with the bath water. It seemed justified in this case. I do the same thing with rude people. I'd just rather not deal with them at all...  

• CANINE QUEEN, mztrob and green-eyed like this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#12 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

What others said, but aside from skewing the stats, why not just bring back virtuals?  They made more sense.

• TexasWriter, Dhaulaghiri, green-eyed and 1 other like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#13 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

What others said, but aside from skewing the stats, why not just bring back virtuals?  They made more sense.

This is what I've been saying to anyone who would listen. My wife and I have had some of our very best caching experiences around virtuals. I understand that there were problems with people abusing the cache type, but rather than implement a solution to validate a virtual before publishing it and eliminate (or at least minimize) the problem, they threw the baby out with the bath water (there's are times to toss the baby, but that wasn't one of those times).

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#14 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

I don't have a problem with labs caches, per se -- how the are implemented and logged or the temporary nature of them -- I just wish they would show up as finds in my milestones, statistics, My Finds PQ, etc.

If you want to see what can happen with unregulated virtuals, just look at Munzee... :coolsmiley:

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#15 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,197 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

If you want to see what can happen with unregulated virtuals, just look at Munzee... :coolsmiley:

Yeah!  Munzee!  Just as we would clear out an area, someone (not to be named....)  would deploy a new one right behind us.   :knuppel2:

Posted Image

#16 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:20 AM

So I added the lab caches to GSAK also but the BadgeGen macro complains about not having a log. I have yet to figure out how to manually add a log to them in GSAK. Obviously you can't use publish log feature. I used the old logging procedure but that didn't work. Anybody know how to edit or insert a log to a waypoint in GSAK? Google didn't help here so I'm wondering if it is purposefully designed to only get legit logs from GC?
Posted Image

#17 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

HD:

I'm not in front of my GSAK, but I wonder if it is the "type" chosen. Since you said Waypoint, GSAK is smart enough to know that Waypoints do not have a data field for a log. Until Clyde and or GS define the cache type Lab Cache as on that has a log, we may have to call a lab cache a "type" that has a log by default. 

I'm totally speculating here, as I have yet to look at any of this.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#18 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

Whats gsak?

#19 Cache Control

Cache Control

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

Because they are making money from business who have to pay for a lab cache.  It's all about the money.

#20 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

What others said, but aside from skewing the stats, why not just bring back virtuals? They made more sense.

Because they are making money from business who have to pay for a lab cache. It's all about the money.

Is that true? May have been in Seattle but if there were kick backs in Bastrop for highlighting those businesses I bet it went to the local effort to do the challenge. Do we know if GC.com gets something from the businesses?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users