Photo

Does anyone know how to contact this CO?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RRM10

RRM10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSplendora, TX

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

We have been trying to contact cache owner BumpusHounds through email on geocaching.com without any success for the past month. He (they?) adopted a couple of the old Ty Dolney caches up north of us in the National Forest back in July of 2009. They haven't been online in the past 8 months, and it seems sort of obvious they aren't in the game any longer.

We'd really hate to see anything happen to these old caches, and have placed them on our watch-list just to keep track of them. We plan to maintain them when ever the need arises, but would really like to adopt the caches if at all possible. Have communicated with Prime Reviewer about the situation, but not much PR can do without permission from the current cache owner.

If anyone knows BumpusHounds, please send us an email with a method to contact them.

Much appreciated!!

-RRM10

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=f9f9e7a

#2 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:03 AM

Seeing it is not uncommon for cachers who own caches to just walk away, all of it can't be explained by emergencies.  It's behavior that confuses me.  When a cacher has found hundreds and even thousands of caches, how is it they can simply abandon interest to the point that they dilute the game?

TXGA SETX Representative

#3 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

In the early days there was confusion over whether the Approver or only GC could transfer ownership, but if the owner didn't reply to an email from whichever official tried to contact them in a month they would transfer an abandoned cache to the requester with the proviso that if the original owner showed up and wanted it, it would be transferred back to them.It's changed over time, but the last time I knew, the only way to adopt a cache was to have the owner sign it over to you.  If the owner can't be contacted the cache ownership cannot be transferred.

#4 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

It depends on how much effort you want to put into this but here's how you can do some research.

These people used to cache with him though none seem to be currently active, you can email them

bad kat  was active most recently.

ty_dolney was active next most recently and has an fair size gallery of pictures of caches he knows or has met.  Donlney is also a preacher in Camilla, TX, so even if his email is no longer good  you should be able to locate him.

HamsterHuey69 hasn't been active since 2012.

If all this fails start contacting cachers who own caches near his and see if any know him.

Good luck

#5 RRM10

RRM10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSplendora, TX

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

Thank you Thot!

I have tried contacting ty_dolney a couple of times through the email address on geocaching.com with no luck, but may try to find a new avenue in Camilla. I'm going to try to contact bad kat, even though it shows them to be in Virginia they may know who or how to make the contact with bumpushounds. I've tried a couple that have caches in the area, but no luck on how bumpushounds really is.

I have contacted prime reviewer, and you are correct, nothing he can do without the CO's permission. The two caches I'm concerned with are Rumble in the Jungle and Magnolia Mangle, both of them are old. We do have these caches on our watchlist so if the need arises we can go do maintenance as we'd hate for anything to hapen to them and since the CO is inactive they could be archived with no argument from the CO. 

#6 RRM10

RRM10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSplendora, TX

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

I actually made contact with Ty a little bit ago, the problem is he doesn't know who BumpusHounds actually is or where they are from. He is going to contact PR though, and see if since he was the previous owner if there would be any way to assist Rhonda and I in the adoption of the two old caches of his since the person that adopted them previously isn't maintaining or active. Don't know if PR will allow this or not, but it's worth a shot!

#7 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

I agree.  But, PR is a hardcase.

#8 RRM10

RRM10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSplendora, TX

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:13 PM

I know, I tried going through PR previously and he wouldn't budge.

Hopefully since Ty was the previous owner, and is actually still listed on the cache pages as the owner, it can pull a little weight since he'd like to see his caches stay in play with someone maintaining them as he "intended" when he adopted it out to BumpusHounds. We'll see...

#9 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

Good luck and let us know how it goes.  One of my pet peeves is folks who adopt caches, then drop out and won't even respond to offers to adopt their adoptions.  If you're going to adopt someone's cache, then step up and maintain it!

• Cache Control likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#10 RRM10

RRM10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSplendora, TX

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

Hey HC, Ty asked if you were still caching when I spoke to him yesterday, I told him you were still VERY active LOL!!

My thoughts as well HC!! We don't have many hides, yet anyway, but If/when we ever quit we'll offer them up for adoption and if there are no takers we'll archive them before just letting them sit. 

We are newbies as we only started the end of September, but with all the newbies that come and go, I wish they would make a rule that you have to have a minimum of 500 finds, hell 750 even, before you're allowed to hide one. If you have 500-750 finds you're probably apt to continue playing the game for awhile, or at least have some respect for the game. Way to many hides out there from people with 5-50 finds that are long gone from the game leaving caches that are missing but taking up a spot. The deal that geocaching has that you can't place a cache with one already out and in need of maintenance doesn't help the situation with non-active CO's. It sucks but what to do?

The rule with adopting caches is ridiculous. If someone is obviously inactive and an active player wants to adopt their cache to ensure it stays in play should be allowed. The statement that the cache stays with the owner forever, or transfers to their estate is crazy, like your estate really gives a rats-ass about a geocache? Come on!   

I'm done venting now...Happy Easter everyone!!

#11 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

That's the first time I've ever seen the term rats a$$ and Easter pout so close together.  LOL

TXGA SETX Representative

#12 RRM10

RRM10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSplendora, TX

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

That's the first time I've ever seen the term rats a$$ and Easter pout so close together.  LOL

Oops, my bad!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users