#42 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

If I understand correctly, Cybercat put out all 144 challenge caches AND set up the labs caches -- which entailed going to businesses and getting their buy-in ahead of time, etc.  She tried to make each lab cache an interactive experience, but one only gets out of it what one puts into it.  If you just want to drive by and get the code word from the street, well, that's your prerogative.  A smiley is  smiley, right?  I, for one, am not going to downplay how much work she put into all this.

If anyone has any good ideas for locations in the South Shore Harbor/Clear Lake/Kemah area that might make an interesting labs cache, PM me.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#43 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

My comment was specifically about our experience, and as I said, we went to one place and it was relatively late.  The person working there at that time didn't seem to want to have anything to do with geocachers.  I'm sure that we would have had a different experience during the day on Friday if we had had that opportunity.

#44 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

We did do all of the lab caches.  I think they are a good idea, but you are only going to get something out of it if you stop to interact.  The one that I was looking the most forward to was the Sugar Shack just because I love sweets.  I was highly disappointed in that one.  We came in the middle of the afternoon and went into the store really planning on buying something.  We looked around and I thought the prices were high but I probably would have splurged a bit and still bought something, but the person behind the counter never interacted with us at all and spent most of the time on the phone taking care of an order, but even when she wasn't on the phone, she didn't seem to care that we were even there or might need some help.  We decided that since we had just eaten lunch that we weren't really needing any fudge any way, so we decided to just leave and let it be their loss.   We loved the tour at the Rainwater place and I talked Stan into going into the Rock Shop even though he hadn't initially wanted to go, but we both ended up really enjoying the visit.  The lady was very nice and informative and ended up inviting us to take a lucky rock out of her basket which we both carried with us on the challenge....I guess it worked.  LOL.   Neither one of us are wine drinkers, so we just got the code off of the brewery one.  We visited the place with the bronze statues and I don't think that they really had anything officially set up for the geocachers other than the code, but we ended up being mistakenly directed to see a large bronze statue in their workshop area down the hill because they thought we were part of what was probably a veteran's group that was seeing the military type statue.  I think that stop could have really been a good one if the business was willing to be more interactive with the geocachers. 

For the geocoinfest, I don't really have any recommendations for places, but I would make sure that the businesses are excited about the opportunity to interact with the public if the lab caches are centered around businesses.  

One of the things that I think is interesting in Kemah area are all of the pelican sculptures.  However, these may be better suited for finding them with a Wherigo rather than a Lab cache.   We had fun taking a walking tour in Bastrop of the Historical homes following a Wherigo and the same type of thing could be set up following pelicans in Kemah.

Posted Image

#45 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

If anyone has any good ideas for locations in the South Shore Harbor/Clear Lake/Kemah area that might make an interesting labs cache, PM me.

does it have to be businesses?  can it be landmarks or historical things that we can get a code from/for? 

• JustKeely likes this
the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#46 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,805 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

I remember interacting with a donut store

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#47 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

does it have to be businesses?  can it be landmarks or historical things that we can get a code from/for? 

No, it doesn't have to be a business.  They had two "sets" of labs caches at the Block Party last summer in Seattle.  One was a tour of funky things in the neighborhood around Groundspeak HQ -- some cool cache containers, some sculptures, artwork, and the like, and a couple of businesses.  The other set of labs caches was a tour of microbreweries in the area, complete with 1oz samples at each stop.  Now that one was really great!

Edited by HoustonControl, 23 March 2014 - 09:37 PM.

• green-eyed likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#48 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:26 AM

now that sounds better than the day-glo paper posted in the window of a business.  I did go in and look around or shop at the stores I did the labs for, but I'd rather see something interesting, learn something or have a multi of sorts. 

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#49 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:55 PM

I personally liked having the answers in the window and the opportunity to not interact.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users