Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 cacheme

cacheme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:04 PM

Almost seems like they're trying to make something fun and fairly straightforward into something difficult that depends on additional technology.

#23 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

They are just experimenting befoe making changes to geocaching.com

Posted Image

#24 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

They call them "labs caches" like they're something they are trying out, but they've been around in this same incarnation at pretty much every Mega event since GeoWoodstock last year.  It seems they're just a way to have temporary caches for an event that highlight some interesting locations in the area, but then conveniently go away after a few days.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#25 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

https://labs.geocach...ab-b1dab2daa93b

You can download the gpx file. 7 caches from Smithville to north of Bastrop.

You have 5 days from 9 am Thursday to find them. They were put out by cybercat.

Printed page.

https://labs.geocach...ab-b1dab2daa93b

Geocaches Berdoll Pecans N 30° 10.001 W 97° 30.660

Take your picture with the giant squirrel and have your photo added to the Famous Squirrel Wall of Fame! While you're here, sample different varieties of pecans that grow in this area and all the wonderful products that are made with them! 
If you come after hours, you can even purchase a pecan pie in the vending machine outside! 
Take a drive on the road behind the store to see some of the Berdoll pecan orchards.

Find Code:

Bronze Foundry N 30° 05.879 W 97° 18.455

Come and check out the largest Bronze Foundry in the state of Texas! You have seen their work all over the state and didn't realize it was made here! 
The visitor area with examples of bronze work in various states of completion will be open Thursday, Friday and Saturday. 
The foundry will be open for tours from 9-5 Sat, March 22 only.

Find Code:

Texas Rain N 30° 03.027 W 97° 11.285

Come in for a tour and a taste of bottled Texas rainwater. This is the largest rainwater collection facility in the world! See how rainwater is captured and bottled here in biodegradable bottles made on site! Tours daily, 9-5 except Sunday.

Find Code:

The Little Gallery and Rock Shop N 30° 03.004 W 97° 11.303

Come in and find rocks and minerals from all over the world. You may not be able to visit earthcaches worldwide, but you will see a good representation of them here! 
Of particular interest is the display of sacred stones from India, called the Shiva Lingam. This rock is only found in the holy Narmada river in India. After the completion of the Sardar Sarovar dam, most of these rocks will be irretrievable. 
10-5 Thursday-Sunday

Find Code:

Bone Spirits N 30° 00.232 W 97° 09.216

Stop by for a tour of Bone Spirits Distillery and visit the tasting room to sample vodka, gin, and whiskey made on-site. 
See their flagship vodka, which has already hit Austin stores, made from corn from Coyote Creek farms, triple distilled in a copper pot still, then transferred to a fractionating column system to remove unwanted flavor aspects from the juice. Ages 21 and up only in the tasting room. Open from 10-8 daily, closed on Sundays.

Find Code:

Cripple Creek N 30° 06.621 W 97° 19.201

Visit the Cripple Creek wine boutique to sample cheese and some great wines made with grapes from local wineries.

Find Code:

Sugar Shack N 30° 06.545 W 97° 19.573

Stop in and watch fresh fudge being made daily. Sample handmade candies and sweet treats such as chocolate dipped strawberries, maple logs, and pralines! Yum!

Find Code:

Edited by SockPuppet, 20 March 2014 - 09:07 AM.

Posted Image

#26 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

So we do not need some special app to post these finds after all? Sorry... I know people are probably tired of answering questions about LAB caches. LOL

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#27 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

So we do not need some special app to post these finds after all? Sorry... I know people are probably tired of answering questions about LAB caches. LOL

Just go to the lab cache website and enter the codes.

• Jhawk! likes this
Posted Image

#28 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

This looks a lot like geo-tours :/

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#29 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:40 PM

This looks a lot like geo-tours :/

I think it is much easier than geotours as there are only 7 caches and most of them are close to the highways since most of them are local businesses.

Posted Image

#30 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

Also, Geo-Tours are actually real caches hidden at locations that just happen to illuminate interesting historical or geological features.  It sounds like the lab caches are more about going to a location and interacting with it in some way.  You aren't finding a cache, you are having an experience.

come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#31 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

So it would actually be more like a virtual, right?!?

Anyway, I'll check a few out on Saturday and decide for myself...

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#32 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

I thought they were real caches you had to sign and all - just temporary.

Posted Image

#33 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:22 AM

This strongly reminds me of Thanksgiving morning , ie roasted turkey. This same concept will come to South Shore Harbor in 7?!??months, hopefully improved by the smart input from our local folks, cuz GS has repeatedly been clueless and earless

Geez, Bob, very tactful, what happened to your filter?

Edited by bbqbob2, 22 March 2014 - 01:24 AM.

#34 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

i don't know about the rest of you, but i was a little disappointed in the lab caches we found today.  we did go in each business and look around, tasted a wine, bought some chocolates.  but i'd rather have virtuals back where we learned something or went somewhere cool instead.

• Dhaulaghiri likes this
the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#35 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

I also wasn't terribly impressed.

#36 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

I enjoyed the visits at Texas Rainwater, and the rock shop.  We got a tour of the Rainwater plant, and then talked to the rock shop lady for about 30 minutes.   The steak seasoning tasting at Cripple Creek was awesome.   

Posted Image

#37 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:04 AM

I must admit we only did one (the Sugar Shack) and it was late last night (after we had dinner and after the post-event nearly non-event).  We figured that most things weren't going to be open today (Sunday) and we didn't get into town until late Friday night.

The one person working at the Sugar Shack didn't seem to be that interested in the whole thing.

#38 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

I think they are sort of like a virtual in that you have to obtain information at the site to claim the find (the code). The way they set it up, the codes are in plain view, so it is your choice how much you interact. I think most of the places they out them at give you an experience, if you choose to have it. We enjoyed the rock shop, rainwater place, and the wine shop.

#39 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

*put, not "out"

#40 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

We found two of them... the Sugar Shack and Cripple Creek. We had fun at both places and enjoyed Cripple Creek alot, even bought a sign and some steak seasoning. I think they were kinda cool caches to find.

Another place we enjoyed was some museum in town where one of the challenge caches were placed. The lady in there was super nice and enjoyed our geocaching antics. Let us use the restroom too, which we really needed at that point. :)

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users