48 replies to this topic

#1 Kalvey

Kalvey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationFresno

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:26 AM

So it looks like the Bastrop lab caches are going to be open starting 9:00 am on Thursday, 3/20.  Does anyone know when they will close?  Will the places you have to go to be open on Sunday?  We won't be arriving until evening on Friday, but we really want to do the lab caches.  

#2 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

Here are the names of the Lab caches

• Berdoll Pecans

• Bronze Foundry

• Texas Rain

• The Little Gallery and Rock Shop

• Bone Spirits

• Cripple Creek

• Sugar Shack

Posted Image

#3 Benttandem

Benttandem

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

I feel kind of dumb.  I have clicked on all the links I can find on these lab caches and I still don't have a clue as to what I should do.  Do you download something?  Is there any kind of a printout?  I am pretty much at a loss.

#4 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

I feel kind of dumb.  I have clicked on all the links I can find on these lab caches and I still don't have a clue as to what I should do.  Do you download something?  Is there any kind of a printout?  I am pretty much at a loss.

They are experimental temporary caches created for events. The first ones are in Bastrop.

https://labs.geocaching.com/

http://blog.geocachi...ching-labs-faq/

Read first post. Nothing you can do until 9 am Thursday 20th.

Edited by SockPuppet, 16 March 2014 - 03:36 PM.

Posted Image

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

They'll be up for 4 days.  Once they go live, go to the coordinates, sign the logbook and make a note of the code needed.  If you have a smart phone, you can log it right then and there.  If not, go to the website on your computer later and log them.  They are separate from the regular caches on Geocaching.com and won't be found on that site.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#6 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

I'm going with HoustonControl...  :angel:

TXGA SETX Representative

#7 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

This is like Terracaching

How does this Lab Cache work?

These mostly work the same as regular geocaches: navigate to the location, find the cache and sign the logbook. However, these differ in that you must use the find code in order to mark the geocache as found.

Do I need to download an app to play?

Nope! We developed a special web app that can be accessed from any smartphone. We also have GPX files for download, as well as good old-fashioned, printed-on-paper coordinates.

Edited by SockPuppet, 16 March 2014 - 05:10 PM.

Posted Image

#8 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

I am really confused about these.  There are no details of how this work.  Where do we find the web app that can be accessed by a phone an where do we find the lab caches when they are published?  Do we download them to the phone or GPSr or just access them through this mysterious web app?  I'm trying to be prepared so I can be where I need to be to download and get set when they are published if I need Internet access to download them for my GPSr.  Not much information that I can find on them.

#9 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

I am having to learn as well. Fortunately a GroundSpeak Lackey will be in Badtrop Friday night and is willing to share about Lab Caches at the Meet and Greet.

#10 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

There is a link on the Texas Challenge Event page.  This is it here:  http://labs.geocachi...aschallenge2014

After 9 AM Thursday, the link will be live and take you to a list of labs caches and the web app.  If it's like at the Block Party last August, there will also be printed sheets of paper with the locations and coordinates for them handed out at the Mega event sign-in.  I can't promise that, but it would make sense.

Edited by HoustonControl, 17 March 2014 - 08:02 PM.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#11 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

I only have one question about lab caches: What do they have to do with a golden ammo can? :)

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#12 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:33 AM

I'm going with HoustonControl.  LOL

TXGA SETX Representative

#13 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

I only have one question about lab caches: What do they have to do with a golden ammo can? :)

Maybe there are different species of Lab caches.    Ya know, Golden Lab, Chocolate Lab,......   :coolsmiley:

• DangerKitties and TexasWriter like this
Posted Image

#14 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

Maybe there are different species of Lab caches.    Ya know, Golden Lab, Chocolate Lab,......   :coolsmiley:

Well, I'm bringing the chocolate lab.  :2funny:

#15 jackrock

jackrock

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

There is a link on the Texas Challenge Event page.  This is it here:  http://labs.geocachi...aschallenge2014

After 9 AM Thursday, the link will be live and take you to a list of labs caches and the web app.  If it's like at the Block Party last August, there will also be printed sheets of paper with the locations and coordinates for them handed out at the Mega event sign-in.  I can't promise that, but it would make sense.

Thanks.  I have visited that link but didn't see where it explained that it becomes the app when they go live.  I was trying to figure out where we find the app.  So I guess that means I need to have an internet connection when it goes live so that I can download coordinates into my GPSr.  That tells me I need to stay put late that day and sit around with the Internet waiting for 9:00. 

#16 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

There are only 7 caches so just be near someone with a smart phone and enter the coords the old fashion way (easier said than done for some of us).

Posted Image

#17 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:48 PM

Coords the old fashion way?!  :startled:

Actually this thread is, was, making me salivate to go get a lab cache for my 1000th find...

but that means I have to find 80 caches between now & then...& I don't have the ET in my backyard...

ANYWAY: So you're saying if I go to the site there will not be an equivalent app-like interface where it will guide me/log?

Simply a site with a list of coordinates & a place to log the "code word" once found?

If so, this might be the biggest deterrent for me to stay in Harrisburg with my iPhone-dependent-caching  :sleeping:

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#18 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

I am just guessing based on what I have read.

Posted Image

#19 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

Anyone know if the 9am is central or pacific time?

Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

9 a.m. is in every time zone, Steve. Sometimes twice, depending.

• TravelingGeek likes this
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users