27 replies to this topic

#1 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:09 AM

So a friend and I are done with the final planning stage of a 25-cache series we plan on putting out near the Palacios area. We've found a place we think will be adequate, if not perfect, for this series and it's close enough to my friend's weekend place that we can keep it maintained. There's not much cell phone coverage in the area so we'll be using GPS to get the coords. We'll be writing all the information down on a spreadsheet for posting later.

My question is... is there anything I might need to know or be conscious of when putting out a series? All we've done before are single hides so it's possible we might not be thinking of everything. Probable in fact. LOL

Thanks for any advice. 

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#2 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:16 AM

For caches hidden by someone that is a distance away from their home coordinates, PR needs to know the intention for maintenance which can go in the reviewer's notes that the reviewer will delete before publishing.  Make sure when taking the coordinates with your GPSr that you are letting it doing the averaging for several minutes.  Once you've taken the coordinates try them out and see if they get you to the cache.  Before they actually publish also pull them up in Google Earth and make sure that they are showing up where you put them.  If not, adjust the coordinates.

Posted Image

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

Yes, include a note that covers your maintenance plan.  So-called "Vacation caches" aren't allowed so you'll need a good explanation of how you visit this area frequently.  Additionally, if you submit all 25 at once, be prepared to wait weeks for them to be published.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

Also make sure there are not any puzzle caches in the area as these might create problems with some of your caches. PR will do that also.

Posted Image

#5 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

Make sure it is there is easy parking within a reasonable distance, and even better, mark them as waypoints.

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

#6 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:46 AM

You can ask PR in the Reviewer Note not to publish the series unless the whole series can be published at once.  That way, if there are puzzles out there, you can adjust (either by renumbering your series and simply skipping one) or manually fixing.  That way you don't have holes in your series you can't fix.

Posted Image

#7 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

If you are numbering the series it is always nice to have the numbers at or near the beginning of the name. Many people use smart names which tends to cut off the name after so many characters. That is the reason why when the CLAPS series was redone the names were changed to 62 S CLAPS, 61 S CLAPS, etc. 

• HoustonControl, cachestacker, TexasWriter and 1 other like this

#8 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

Thanks all. The advice and suggestions are appreciated. :)

#9 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

TexasWriter is the un-official checker for all new series.  Just give him some coordinates in the general area and he'll find the caches and post corrected coords for you....  :2funny:

• TexasWriter, Dhaulaghiri, Jhawk! and 1 other like this
Posted Image

#10 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

TexasWriter is the un-official checker for all new series.  Just give him some coordinates in the general area and he'll find the caches and post corrected coords for you....  :2funny:

Yeah, Stan is right. Just tell me what town they're near and I'll find them brute force. If there are coords issues, I'll let you know after they publish.   :)  Actually, it's the Muddy Buddies team that taught me early on to take a new coords reading and put it in my log if the coords were off significantly. There was many a cache that I found in my first few hundred that were tracked down easier (or at all) because Muddy Buddies put the coords in his log. They were mentoring a lot of us and may not have even known it.

I agree with pretty much everything folks said above. I would add to it that if you plan on having a bonus cache based on clues left in any of the other caches, run the coords for the bonus cache up the flagpole with PR first so that you don't have to revisit caches later in the event you had to make adjustments on the actual location of the bonus cache. Even if you don't have a bonus cache, it helps to drop PR a line and let him know that you are going to be publishing a series of 25 or so caches in X area (you can PM me the starting coords...just kidding :D ), and that you were just giving him a courtesty note about it. You can tell him at that point if you are going to be the sole submitter or if it is a collaborative effort, and if it's collaborative, who the other party is/are. That's a good time to mention what the maintenance plan will be it's far from your home area. Also, if you want them all to publish at the same time, I would recommend putting that in the reviewer note for each cache submitted. If it's a collaborative effort, your partner(s) can use the exact same reviewer note.

Bottom line, my experience has been that PR's ego is big and needs lots of stroking. He doesn't like to receive surprises....he only likes to give them. The more you can demonstrate to him that you value his time as a volunteer reviewer and want to make it as easy for him as possible (and that you acknowledge he's one notch away from being God), the easier it usually goes. If you don't tell him clearly that you want them all to publish at the same time, chances are strong that they won't (e.g. the recent BITB series of 10 caches submitted by fhaley and LouRez were submitted at the same time, and the odd numbered ones published one night....the even numbered ones published 10 days later).

One last thing. Just be aware that by submitting a series you can already guarantee that you'll wait longer (sometimes MUCH longer) for them to publish that your previous onsie twosie submissions, and even though we're all telling you to communicate with him in a structured manner upfront, the more parameters you set the longer you will usually wait. However, I've found the wait is usually worth it.

• Baytown Bert and Jhawk! like this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#11 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:29 AM

For a series that is going to be a ways from home, I would not include a bonus cache.  That's extra maintenance that you may be asking someone else to do and you are too far to do it quickly.    Without a bonus you don't have to worry so much about any individual going missing for a bit.  You can disable it without also affecting the bonus too.

Posted Image

#12 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

There will be no bonus cache... it's just a flat 25 cache series. I myself am in the area where we intend to put the series out at least once a month, more in the summer. My partner that I'm doing the series with is out there almost every weekend... maintenance won't be a problem. My partner already has several in the area already that she keeps maintained. We plan on putting this series out next weekend and there is already one cache in the area which we will need to be conscious of but I'm hoping that the publishing of that cache means that this area is ok with the PR for caches. We shall see.

I will be sure to take care with the coords and also to let PR know that we'd prefer it be published together at the same time, I'm ok with this taking longer than usual. To be clear, you think I should email the PR now and let him know the series will be submitted in the next few weeks?

#13 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

I've found it helped when I gave him a heads up about submitting a new series, regardless of bonus caches, series partners, etc. I've just found him more approachable and helpful, and I've seen similar results for others that were submitting series. Bottom line is that PR doesn't like series for whatever reason, and "a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down." Good luck!

• Jhawk! likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#14 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

I sought the "Golden Orb of enligtenment" or whatever crap he spouted.  Often it does little good and he's unresponsive.  I've had difficult luck in getting him to check coords for puzzles.  But re-doing the CLAPS series the one thing I have found you CAN do (and he LIKES this) if you want to check ahead of time is this:

Make a dummy cache.  Put in the coords for the first cache as the coords for that one.

Tell him in the Reviewer Note this is a dummy one with real coords of the series and it's there for him to check against puzzles or multi waypoints.

Then make a bunch of waypoints and make them stages of the cache.  Put in the other coords for each cache as a new waypoint.  That way, he can look at it for you and he can run it (I guess automatically) and let you know if there are issues quickly and easily.  ... Once he gets to it.  But that's the only way you'll get it done.

Edited by cachestacker, 17 March 2014 - 09:56 AM.

• green-eyed and Jhawk! like this
Posted Image

#15 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

I sought the "Golden Orb of enligtenment" or whatever crap he spouted.  Often it does little good and he's unresponsive.  I've had difficult luck in getting him to check coords for puzzles.  But re-doing the CLAPS series the one thing I have found you CAN do (and he LIKES this) if you want to check ahead of time is this:

Make a dummy cache.  Put in the coords for the first cache as the coords for that one.

Tell him in the Reviewer Note this is a dummy one with real coords of the series and it's there for him to check against puzzles or multi waypoints.

Then make a bunch of waypoints and make them stages of the cache.  Put in the other coords for each cache as a new waypoint.  That way, he can look at it for you and he can run it (I guess automatically) and let you know if there are issues quickly and easily.  ... Once he gets to it.  But that's the only way you'll get it done.

Good grief, really? It's all I have time to do to get them ready and put out. LOL

I honestly do not think that multi's or puzzle caches are going to be a problem. This area needs a robust series... it's woefully short on caches as it is.

Hopefully we can get this done with as little pain as possible. I've emailed PR letting him know my intentions and give him coords to the one cache that is already posted in the area. Hopefully he'll respond with anything I might be overlooking.

#16 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

Oh wait... so do you mean we still go put the series out, but when we post it for submission, add as way points the coord for each cache? Am I understanding this correctly?

#17 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

When doing CLAPS, I used Google Earth to get approximate areas and used those.  Of course, it varied, but I knew one certain area had stages to a seemingly permantently unmaintained multi (now archived) that kept the series from getting published.  So I explained the situation and had him do a broader search in that area (which I made the main coord) and then he pushes a button or something magical happens with is golden orbs and all the other WPs get checked automatically.  So even though not exacty, a real good indication you won't run into problems. 

Of course, you could place and do this, but at that point I'd just submit with the note that says don't publish unless they can all go.  Or if there is an issue, publish up to that point but don't do higher numberd ones.   Or whatever fits.

Posted Image

#18 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

When doing CLAPS, I used Google Earth to get approximate areas and used those.  Of course, it varied, but I knew one certain area had stages to a seemingly permantently unmaintained multi (now archived) that kept the series from getting published.  So I explained the situation and had him do a broader search in that area (which I made the main coord) and then he pushes a button or something magical happens with is golden orbs and all the other WPs get checked automatically.  So even though not exacty, a real good indication you won't run into problems. 

Of course, you could place and do this, but at that point I'd just submit with the note that says don't publish unless they can all go.  Or if there is an issue, publish up to that point but don't do higher numberd ones.   Or whatever fits.

Oh ok... I think I understand what you're saying now. So if I post a dummy cache with main coords and then waypoints for the rest of the series, he's able to get the magical golden orbs and it's easier on him? I can do that... I'm not opposed to helping make things easier for him. But we're definitely putting out the series soon because once the warmer weather hits we'll be too busy having fun to work on an entire series. LOL I should have asked you all about this a long time ago and we could have already done this part of it. Lesson learned... always ask the pros.

#19 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

For the last series that I submitted (20 caches on the Lone Star trail), all I did was submit each cache separately with a note that I wanted them to all publish together. I submitted them on December 24 and they were published on January 2.

I was already quite certain that nothing (as in a puzzle cache) was going to show up in this area--that's why I picked it.

I think the timing issue on PR's response might be related to how many caches everyone is submitting and how busy he is.  Slightly more than a week turnaround seemed quite reasonable to me.

I should add that there was nothing unusual about this series--all were single stage caches of normal type.

• Jhawk! likes this

#20 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

For the last series that I submitted (20 caches on the Lone Star trail), all I did was submit each cache separately with a note that I wanted them to all publish together. I submitted them on December 24 and they were published on January 2.

I was already quite certain that nothing (as in a puzzle cache) was going to show up in this area--that's why I picked it.

I think the timing issue on PR's response might be related to how many caches everyone is submitting and how busy he is.  Slightly more than a week turnaround seemed quite reasonable to me.

I should add that there was nothing unusual about this series--all were single stage caches of normal type.

We aren't attempting anything out of the norm since this is our first series. The cache containers are all a bit different and we hope provides a little entertainment. The area we are placing them in has very few caches at all and I'd be pretty surprised if there were any issues with puzzle or multi caches. So hopefully this will all go smoothly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users