12 replies to this topic

#1 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

I'm a Droid person so I need some Iphone people to answer this one for me. :) Can I load a .gpx file to an Iphone? And if so, what app is the preferred app for using .gpx files on the Iphone?

Thanks in advance!

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#2 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:40 AM

Not sure what exactly you want to do with the .gpx after uploading, but here's one possibility (I have it on my phohne, but very, very seldom have need of it);  GDAK Geocaching Droid Army Knife.

#3 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:39 AM

I have a friend who prefers to use the I Phone to cache and was wanting to use it for the Challenge instead of her GPS. I use Droid and C:Geo and it's no problem but have no idea if it's possible to load these files onto her Iphone once we get the coords at the Challenge, because Apple is completely different from Android and doesn't always allow some things.  

#4 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

With GDAK, you import a DB from GSAK.  I had forgotten that little tidbit, and I suspect it won't handle .gpx since it's looking for a DB type file, but once the DB is copied to your phone, you can use GDAK for navigation, logging, and other typical functions without needing to contact Groundspeak's servers.

• Jhawk! likes this

#5 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,750 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:23 AM

I have a friend who prefers to use the I Phone to cache and was wanting to use it for the Challenge instead of her GPS. I use Droid and C:Geo and it's no problem but have no idea if it's possible to load these files onto her Iphone once we get the coords at the Challenge, because Apple is completely different from Android and doesn't always allow some things.  

I wouldn't think the battery wouldn't make it through the challenge.

Edited by SockPuppet, 15 March 2014 - 08:23 AM.

Posted Image

#6 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

I wasn't aware there was an iphone version of GDAK???

Posted Image

#7 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

The Geosphere app imports GPX files just fine. It's my caching app. I have GSAK macro that spits out GPX files every day ready for importing from Dropbox.
  • Jhawk! likes this
Posted Image

#8 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

I just checked and there is not a GDAK app in the App Store. iGeoKnife is what comes up on that search
Posted Image

#9 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,864 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

I can find no way to load a GPX file to the Geocaching App for iPhone (the official Groundspeak app, that is).  You can pull in your own pocket queries from the site to the phone and save lists of caches from GC.com to your "Offline List" for caching where there is no cell service, but that's about it.  If you're planning on using the iPhone for the Texas Challenge, better download Geosphere like Fred said and get proficient with it pronto!

And bring along a flash charger...

• Jhawk! likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#10 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

Ooops -misread the original post and thought the question was about an app for Droid - my apologies.

#11 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

Ooops -misread the original post and thought the question was about an app for Droid - my apologies.

It's ok! I still learned something new... did not know about GDAK. :)

#12 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

Thanks to all... we've got Geosphere up and running and a backup battery charger for the Iphone. My friend will be spending this week becoming acquainted with the app to decide whether to use it or her GPS. I appreciate all the input.

#13 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

Thanks to all... we've got Geosphere up and running and a backup battery charger for the Iphone. My friend will be spending this week becoming acquainted with the app to decide whether to use it or her GPS. I appreciate all the input.

KeyResults and I use our iphones/GPS'r units interchangably.     phone to get close to GZ and GPS to get a better reading at GZ.   The GPS battery lasts much longer than the phone and has better coverage when caching in the woods.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users