17 replies to this topic

#1 chringuyen86

chringuyen86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCypress, Texas

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

I just came across Munzee. Can someone please tell me what it is and if it is like geocaching? thanks!!!

#2 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

It is a hide/seek game where you install an application on your phone from www.munzee.com and go looking for tags placed around the globe. The tags will have a QR code on them (the blocky square) and when you scan them with your phone running the Munzee application, you are credited with the find. You may leave a comment on that Munzee if you want to. You, as a player are encouraged to play the game by printing and hiding them for other players to come find.
The Munzee web site will allow you to create your own and print them even.
It is a pretty cool game.

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

Sorta... in that you use a GPS device (your phone) to go to locations.  There, you find a Munzee QR code (usually in the form of  a sticker) and "capture it" with the scanner on the phone.  Download the Munzee app and check the map for ones nearby.  Some are Virtual munzees where you just have to be within 300' of GZ to capture it.  Discovery Green downtown is covered with them.

You get points for deploying and capturing, level up, collect badges, etc...  Not as outdoorsy as geocaching, since almost all are park-n-grabs.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:32 AM

Munzee and his wife Woozee run a Stop N Go in Channelview known for winning Lotto Tickets and cheap gas.  Oops, you're talking about the little square boxes I see.  My bad.

• JuleeD, chringuyen86 and Jhawk! like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#5 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

Munzee and his wife Woozee run a Stop N Go in Channelview known for winning Lotto Tickets and cheap gas.  Oops, you're talking about the little square boxes I see.  My bad.

That would be who is Munzee?  

Posted Image

#6 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

I installed the app on my phone awhile back when I ran across one. I spotted it when I was looking for a cache actually. Thus far my Munzee total is... ONE. :-\

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#7 chringuyen86

chringuyen86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCypress, Texas

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

I installed the app on my phone awhile back when I ran across one. I spotted it when I was looking for a cache actually. Thus far my Munzee total is... ONE. :-

I know the feeling I only found ONE so far 😒 there is really nothing closed to my area.

#8 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

I installed the app on my phone awhile back when I ran across one. I spotted it when I was looking for a cache actually. Thus far my Munzee total is... ONE. :-\

That's one more than me...

I've actually seen them. I've just never logged one. Hell, I don't even pick up trackables anymore..

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#9 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:41 AM

I've actually seen them. I've just never logged one. Hell, I don't even pick up trackables anymore..

You're a FTF adrenaline junkie... nothing else will do. LOL 

• chringuyen86 likes this

#10 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

I've seen lots of Munzees but never logged one.  But then, I have a dumb phone...

#11 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

Yeah, I do like the fun of finding caches when they are exactly as the hider intended, no geo-trail leading right to them, etc. I just became disenchanted with trackables when I saw my own go missing one by one, and pretty quickly at that. My last favorite one went missing at the Texas Challenge last year. Since then, I've picked up very few of them.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#12 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

I DO like that you can place Munzees pretty much anywhere... and instantly -- no reviewer needed.  I don't think anyone is going to call the bomb squad because they discovered a 1/2" square sticker in the back of a sign.  :police:

• ATMA, TexasWriter and chringuyen86 like this

#13 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

When we come across one at or near a cache, I'll log it, but only if I have my phone with me.  I won't go back to the car, even if it is a park and grab.  At first I thought they would be like virtuals were intended to be, to take you to interesting places, but it hasn't turned out that way, in my opinion.

We don't check the map to see what is around, because we are too busy looking for caches!

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

#14 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:05 AM

Yeah, I do like the fun of finding caches when they are exactly as the hider intended, no geo-trail leading right to them, etc. I just became disenchanted with trackables when I saw my own go missing one by one, and pretty quickly at that. My last favorite one went missing at the Texas Challenge last year. Since then, I've picked up very few of them.

Yeah, it's disappointing to see them disappear... I try hard not to sit on TB's too long and move them along quickly, or at least "visit" them at caches so the owner sees it's being moved around. But I guess everyone isn't as conscious about TB's. I've recently figured out that i can "discover" them without taking them so many times I do that now. 

#15 One of the Texas Vikings

One of the Texas Vikings

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • LocationHumble

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:44 PM

Years ago, I had a Munzee TV ! :coolsmiley:

#16 RRM10

RRM10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSplendora, TX

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:06 AM

We were in Huntsville last Friday night and noticed Munzee's in some of the cache containers. Our daughter was with us so she downloaded the app on both my iphone and the ipad. The first couple we tried wouldn't scan, which we assumed was because they were so crumbled up from being inside of cache containers.

Had to go back to Huntsville Monday evening and scanned two that were at or very near caches, then found another one at a cache that wouldn't scan. My thought after the initial experience is that it's wasting caching time. That said, IF my iphone is on me AND it's convenient I'll TRY scanning it, but I'm not going to walk back to the truck to grab my iphone just to scan one. I'd rather go get caches or find and log a benchmark than hunt for Munzee's, and to be honest it weren't for a few challenge caches we're working on I probably wouldn't waste too much time on benchmarks. Now, if someone puts out a challenge cache that calls for a certain number of Munzees I'd probably target them until we had enough to qualify for the challenge cache.

Please don't anyone put out a challenge cache like that!

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=f9f9e7a

#17 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:43 AM

No worries.  GS does not like Munzees.  Don't think you can even mention them in a cache page without PR going off on you.  Can't make them a challenge because 'they're not geocaching related.'

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

#18 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:22 AM

I mention Munzee's in cache logs all the time.  It's a freedom of geo-speak thing... :laugh:

When Munzee first started, the only way to get one of the QR thingies was to print it out on your computer printer.  Most A lot of people didn't have the equipment or technique down to make them weather resistant, so many of the early ones quickly faded or frayed to the point that they were unscanable.  I had found (from a puzzle cache I'd created) that I could use waterproof adhesive labels and print them on a laser printer and they would pretty much hold up to anything mother nature could throw at them.  My first Munzee I ever deployed is still there in perfect shape 3 years later.  Now you can buy Munzees printed on vinyl stickers that hold up very well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users