• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rambetta

Rambetta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Bought a "Surface RT" and am able to  get pocket queries thru GC.com and download them from it to my Garmin Oregon 450. Am also able to get the field notes from the Oregon 450 back to the Surface to log, but when I try to download individual caches from the map, I get a message that the software is 'not compatible' with my computer.

Any suggestions ???

#2 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,326 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

The "RT" version of Microsoft Windows runs on different hardware than normal PCs. This means that you can only install software that was written/designed for the RT.
In other words programs like GSAK will not install/run on Windows RT.

My honest suggestion would be to return the RT for the Surface Pro/2 if you're wanting a full Windows experience/expectation.

Windows RT and the way they are marketing it is quite possibly one of the dumbest things they've ever done. Right up there with MS Bob and Clippy...

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#3 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

I have to agree. My sons SP/2 runs all windows apps just fine. Basically full version win8

Posted Image

#4 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

The "RT" version of Microsoft Windows runs on different hardware than normal PCs. This means that you can only install software that was written/designed for the RT.
In other words programs like GSAK will not install/run on Windows RT.

My honest suggestion would be to return the RT for the Surface Pro/2 if you're wanting a full Windows experience/expectation.

Windows RT and the way they are marketing it is quite possibly one of the dumbest things they've ever done. Right up there with MS Bob and Clippy...

Don't leave out force feeding Windows 8, rather than introduce it as Windows Touch, on touch enabled machines first.

#5 Rambetta

Rambetta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for the feedback, however, I realized when I bought it that the RT would be 'limited', but I wanted something strictly to travel with (cheap, small and lightweight) that I could check email and find/ log my caches. 

I got a 64GB with the keyboard for $300, and the ONLY thing on GC.com that it will not let me do is download individual caches from GC's map page (It does download pocket queries from the USB port (same as my home PC, and I do not use GSAK while I am traveling). It also provides a 'safety net' for storing my PQ's while out of town, just in case I have issues with the Garmin.

For my purposes, I really like it, but thanks again for the input. It is definitely appreciated.

#6 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,326 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

Looks like GCExplorer might be your answer. See this thread on GC.com

http://forums.ground...howtopic=305775

http://www.gcexplorer.com/ is an officially "supported" app listed on GC.com's third party listing. http://www.geocachin.../live/partners/

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#7 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

I have an Asus VivoTab RT tablet as well but I don't use it much. I use my iPad. I do know that when you are attempting to load an individual cache onto your Garmin, Garmin wants you to do it via the Garmin Communicator plug-in, but as you've seen, that plug-in is not available for Windows RT. I agree with TFP's first comment about the full version of Windows for the tablet.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users