• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

I'm wondering how others feel about the 'trackable number' on certain tags.  I see them as 'registration numbers' for the use of the owner, rather than a number to see where they have been (tracking them).  Since most people keep a tag once they find it, they pretty much don't move much, and you can't 'discover' a tag that someone else has.

And, not all of us 'register' things we buy for the warranty, etc., and the same probably goes for tags.

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

#2 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:36 AM

Manufacturers of high end products sold through tiered distribution have been frustrated by the lack of end-user registration for a very long time.

While dated, my last data point on user product registration at scant 4 percent. I was always surprised by that figure.

But I digress.

I have always looked at the numbers as "addresses" on Trackables. Though, for now I have sworn off TBs into the wild. It seems they keep getting kidnapped on me!
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#3 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

What tags are you talking about?

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#4 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

Any of them.  I know of Pathtags, ATMAtags, and EXtagz.  I'm wondering what people think about how a number (like Pathtags) is really important, and why.

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

#5 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

You PMed me on if you can see who has one.  On Pathtags.com you go to my stuff  and click on My Tags.  When you click, you can get a link that says View Tag Map.  That will have a map of everyone who has logged one.  And yes, you can see who they are.

Is it important?  That's up to you.  If you want it in an online collection or to see the maps or whatever. 

Of my Life is Good, 103 of 220 have been logged.  I have a few left of each.  My Jeep one 84 / 200.  And my first one, with the mountain, 66/150.  That said, I get requests all the time on my Jeep one.  Surprised it's the lowest logged.

It's neat seeing it.  Is it worth it?  Meh.  That's up to you and what you're using them for.

Posted Image

#6 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

We don't bother with pathtags (or other tags).  If we find 'em in caches, we leave them.  If we are given them as swag, we toss them into a drawer.

#7 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

Maybe I'll have better luck w path tags than with TBs? ;)
Can't be worse than 100% fail.
Kevin your numbers are pretty impressive...
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#8 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,944 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

When I get pathtags, I always (eventually) log them on the site.  I like seeing my collection on the web page and seeing how many older tags I have, etc.  I usually try to log them with the coordinates of where I picked it up, but I can't always remember where it was.  That said, it marginally adds value and I'm not sure it's worth the extra $$$ compared to ATMA tags or whatever. 

Kinda hard for me to figure out, but I think my original tag ended up with 80/150 logged online.  I still have a few floating around the house somewhere.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#9 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

The Pathtags and TBs aren't really comparable.  Some people DO move them on.  There is no logging in or out  but I have had ones that say they got them in BFE where I've never been and I go read the logs and someone says the dropped one off.  That's cool.  But they're not TBs and not designed to travel like that.  But if they do, then say 1 in 4 may log it.  lol.

I agree with what HC said.  I think the perception is there they are worth more to have it but in the end it's whether you care about it or not.  I always log mine, too, but not always promptly. And like HC, I try to put in where I got it.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users