50 replies to this topic

#21 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

PS: If anyone would like to create an amber-colored margarita in my honor I'd be very impressed!  :wub: 

Seems as though that could be accomplished with just a smidgen of grenadine, huh? :)

• amberita13 likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#22 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:29 AM

I have worked in the television and film production industry for 40 years.  In that time, I have worked with all types of clients and projects.   Around 1992, I was working with an ad agency from Milwaukee, WI.  I am pretty sure that we were working on a Miller Beer commercial or maybe it was the political commercials for George Bush Sr.  (Hard to tell the difference) .... anyway, the art director was struggling to communicate his idea.  Completely serious, he looked at me and said, "Just make it like my dream!".   Since that time, I have been weaving people's dreams together on a daily basis.  

Oh, and I am a native Texan.  I born in San Antonio and have lived in Bishop (south of Corpus Christi), Lubbock, Amhearst (west of Lubbock), Nacogdoches, Denton, Wichita Falls, Abilene, Beaumont, Houston, Sugar Land and Richmond.... and that is just the places in Texas.

So that is how you get Texas Dreamweaver.

#23 One of the Texas Vikings

One of the Texas Vikings

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • LocationHumble

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:00 AM

I am big into genealogy and my grandfather was born in Iceland. But, I wasn't named after him, his name was Thorolfur Una Krisfinnur Thorolfsson.It's a long story,

but coming thru Canadian customs, his last name was changed to be the same as his father's last name (Thorolfur Gudnason) So they kept the Gudnason name.

Confusing, huh ? I have been to Iceland twice and love it.

My daughter came up with the name. And when they wanted split off and cache on their own I became; "One of the Texas Vikings", they became "Two of the

Texas Vikings" and my other daughter became "Two more of the Texas Vikings".

Rick    

PS: The names change each generation in Iceland. My son's last name would be "Richardsson". My daughter's last name would be Richardsottir" and she would 

keep that when she married. So 4 people in a household, Mother, Father, Son and Daughter, they all have different last names ! hahaha Oh, phone books in Iceland

are listed alphabetically by first name, not last. So I would be in the phone book under "R" ! 

#24 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:12 AM

Years back I really got sick of all the spam I got on my regular Email adress and at the time I was really into anything that had something to do with mountaineering & alpine climbing.
I got truly impressed with Reinhold Messner when I read his book about climbing the 14 tallest peaks in the world, and since the name 'Mt. Everest' seemed a little cheesy I picked 'Dhaulaghiri' with high hopes that it wouldn't be something the commercial spamming people would easily put on their list.... how naive I was ;)

The name has stuck with me ever since and I get a lot of questions about it, especially on the pronunciation part!
Last fall (2013) I finally had the chance to see my 'namesake' up close when we travelled to Nepal on our honeymoon, 20 miles was about as close as I got and probably will ever get to 'Dhaulaghiri'

My wife had her own account on geocaching.com for a little wile when we just met, but since she only caches with me around we've 'shared' my account ever since.
  • Jhawk! likes this

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#25 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

From 2007 to 2012, my geocaching name was Mike M.  Very original, I know.  I only really geocached on boy scout campouts so the purpose of having the GC logon was just to search for caches close to where we camped or hiked.  I never started to log anything online until after I assisted Traveling Geek with the Geocaching Merit Badge (actually I think his son's did most of the teaching).  I decided then that if I was going to start logging caches online I would need a better handle.  

Since one of my other interests is fishing I decided to take the name of the knot that I have a lot of experience with on the fly rod.  The "wind knot" happens when the wind catches your line during a cast and ties it up in a knot.  Believe it or not, there was already a "windknot" on GC.com so I added the tilde marks before and after the name, a squiggly line which I think hints at the origin.

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#26 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

Yes, thanks for revisitng this topic since we have so many new people on here!!

#27 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

ATMA was decided while sitting on the ground looking at the log of our first cache find.

It is based on the first letter of our grandkids first names on the day of our first find.

The grandkid count has risen since then but we kept the name as it originally was.

#28 JuleeD

JuleeD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

Had I the foresight to come up with something other than my ACTUAL name....

I know I can change it, but don't have a clue what I would change it to.

• green-eyed and rozowski5 like this

#29 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

Had I the foresight to come up with something other than my ACTUAL name....

I'm resisting the urge... :>)

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#30 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

Us too.  If we had known how important it would become to the rest of our lives I would have worked harder at coming up with a name when signing that first log!  We have thought about changing to the scoobydoocrew (I am sure it is taken) just because there are 5 of us and I want to be Daphne.  No one wants to be Fred.  I wish we had something more fun/interesting/charming/witty but we have our name.   My 9 year old son wants to get his own name so I will counsel him to think wisely before choosing! 

#31 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Look Ju-Leed and Rantowanski5, we like your names just the way we pronounce them.  :angel:

• Dhaulaghiri, green-eyed and JuleeD like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#32 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

I like em as much as I do Dulgeeerries.

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#33 uptrain

uptrain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

Really simple: 34 years as a locomotive engineer with Union Pacific Railroad. I starting using uptrain as a company e-mail address and just kept it.

• JuleeD likes this

#34 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:17 PM

There are times I wish we had picked a shorter name....

.... like when the mossies are eating you alive in the 105 degrees temp.

.... like when you're trying to sign the log in rain.

.... like when that neighbors dog just won't stop barking at you through the fence.

That's when the initials MB come in handy.

Posted Image

#35 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,777 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:00 AM

I think HoustonControl should change his caching name to BaytownLarry.

• JuleeD likes this
Posted Image

#36 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,777 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:01 AM

Really simple: 34 years as a locomotive engineer with Union Pacific Railroad. I starting using uptrain as a company e-mail address and just kept it.

Growing up in my youth I thought I would like to do what you did.

Posted Image

#37 JuleeD

JuleeD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

Had I the foresight to come up with something other than my ACTUAL name....

I'm resisting the urge... :>)

Go ahead, TW...give it your best shot! :)

#38 Mr. ZHR

Mr. ZHR

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:49 AM

Boy, have we told this story a few times.  When we first looked at Geocaching, we couldn't see where caches were unless we signed in.  Well, I figured correctly that nobody else would pick the name of a guitar player from an obscure band I have listened to since my teenage years (back when cassette tapes were ALL the rage).  Yep, Zoot Horn Rollo was not taken - what a surprise.  I think only three people have known who he is in the seven years we've been at it.  Most people haven't listened to Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band.

Mrs. Z was not impressed, but we didn't think we'd be as involved as we are, so we stuck with it.

When nanos started becoming popular, we started using ZHR, which helps people know it isn't "Zoo Thorn" , as if it matters.

If anyone would like to read it, the real Zoot Horn Rollo has written a book.  I'll loan you my copy if you want.  I'm sure the  waiting list won't be long.

Still trying to figure out  don't like this new forum style.
img.aspx?txt=Zoot!&uid=fb1d81b0-8f1c-4ac;GeocacherLocations.pl?Language=EN&Image=

#39 Cache Control

Cache Control

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:18 AM

Humm lets see. I started caching as Usticould and cached for a couple months and found none.  Then I hit a lucky streak of finding a couple in a month.  I was hooked and one night when I was logging the wife said she was giving a new name.  She said I would have no control over this hobby.  I would get crazy with it.  So she said I should have been Cache Control.  So then the name was change after finding 10 caches. LMAO.  

#40 michelleepotter

michelleepotter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKaty, Texas

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

A couple years ago, I was trying to think up a new username for something, and decided I just didn't want to. I figured that anybody who has my Facebook or email address already knows my real name anyway, so might as well use that. It's also a good reminder not to say anything online that I wouldn't want my kids (or my mom!) to see. :P When I sign logs, though, I sign "Potter Family."

Edited by michelleepotter, 02 March 2014 - 10:03 PM.

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=2a6c0f5

"Let me tell you something about the human race. You put a mysterious blue box slap-bang in the middle of town, what do they do? Walk past it. Now stop your nagging. Let's go and explore." -- 9th Doctor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users