50 replies to this topic

#1 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

We come across some real interesting and unusual or funny names out there in geocaching land. I finally met Boners Mom, and Craziest Cat Lady, but haven't connected with Turd Hustlers yet. Invariably, I get the chance to find out the story behind the caching name over time, but I thought it might be fun to get the scoop here in the interest of getting to know our fellow cachers.

My caching name, KeyResults, stems from a international time management firm in Denmark that used the term on me while I was living in Europe in the late 80's and early 90's. I liked the term and used it several times in business. Ultimately I would make it my geocaching name. abbreviating to KR on nano logs.

So, what's the story behind your geocaching name? I can't wait to hear the *real* scoop behind Baytown Bert or Rich and Lola ;)

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#2 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,822 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

MedTexPlacer = Meadows Place Texas where I live. I started learning to cache by finding small LH = Lunch Hour caches by MoTexOutlaw = Ben Outlaw from Missouri and Texas currently living in Missouri. 

Posted Image

#3 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

GSGuru - GS Guru, Girl Scout Guru. I am an adult Girl Scout Outdoor Trainer and started using GSGuru when I still had girls in my troop. I sign GSG on nano logs (and some big logs if I am lazy!!)

#4 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

There was an old thread about this very subject... many many moons ago

#5 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Mine is simple. ClanStan = Clan Stanford (last name Stanford). I wanted StanClan but it was taken by an absent cacher (several years) and I couldnt get GC.com to release it.

My wife caches with me most of the time, Her name is Alicia and Mine is Gregg. I floated the idea of GAS for Gregg Alice Stanford (fits nice on a nano log as well) and she gave me that look of REALLY!!! when they get to know you they will name you that anyway. Funny I keep learning what "I Do" really means after 30 years.

• Jhawk! likes this
Posted Image

#6 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

DangerKitties - I work in the veterinary field and as a man I needed to "man up" the fact that I love cats. Plus it is just the coolest name around so.....

• Kirbydox, Dhaulaghiri and rozowski5 like this

#7 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

I use "Jhawk" or some form of it for just about everything I do online. I get asked alot if I'm a Kansas City fan. In truth, I just like hawks and my name is Jen. When the internet first got going and I was trying to sign on to AOL (gawd, that brings back memories of slooooooooow dial up and not being able to use the phone while online) I came up with Jhawk. Kinda boring but I make up for it elsewhere. LOL  :cheers:

Edited by Jhawk!, 26 February 2014 - 06:09 PM.

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#8 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

Mine is simple. ClanStan = Clan Stanford (last name Stanford). I wanted StanClan but it was taken by an absent cacher (several years) and I couldnt get GC.com to release it.

My wife caches with me most of the time, Her name is Alicia and Mine is Gregg. I floated the idea of GAS for Gregg Alice Stanford (fits nice on a nano log as well) and she gave me that look of REALLY!!! when they get to know you they will name you that anyway. Funny I keep learning what "I Do" really means after 30 years.

Well I thought your name was Stan. I'm just going to call you that. Although I liked the GAS idea myself. LOL

• GASTX likes this
img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#9 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

My wife was trying out various names when she was logging on for the first time, and everything that she tried was taken.  She was getting frustrated when our ancient cat walked into the room.  The cat's name was Teal, so Tealcat it was.

We started caching and she would mention me in the logs as "TheNorman" and our three boys as the Normettes.  My last name is Norman, and in our branch of the family, I was the last male in the line, so following the lead of the Scottish clans, I became "The Norman".

#10 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:02 PM

It was the first week of July 2001...Jan and I were touring Hampton Court Palace, a bit north of London, where some guy named Henry VIII used to live.

We were in the gift shop there when... once again... for some strange reason she told me to behave and that I was incorrigible.

She then picked up a jar labeled "The Devils Mustard" and said "Since you cant or wont behave my name for you is....Mustard Devil :)

Started caching about 2 months later and the rest is history!

#11 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

There was an old thread about this very subject... many many moons ago

I actually did a cursory search assuming this had been covered before. I didn't see anything obvious. I suspect the board makeup has gone through a substantial refresh though so I didn't feel bad about refreshing the topic.

I would love to see a cross link reference to it though. Particularly if folks like Muddy Buddies and Houston Control have already answered the question. Besides it might help me know some of the now inactive or relocated names we see in older cache logs.

#12 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

Baytown Bert

• cachestacker and TexasWriter like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#13 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

Growing up, one of the nicknames given to me by friends was Frog. Later on in life, for some reason :notme: , friends came up with Brat. I ended up meeting a lovely girl later on who didn't think i was bratty at all. She just happens to like frogs and thought that fit me well. Of course, playing in the mud is one of my favorite things to do so i combined the two. Been using Mudfrog for different things ever since.

On nano logs, i thought about using initials but decided i'd better go with Mud instead. O0

• TexasWriter likes this

#14 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

Baytown Bert

I don't get it,,, :what???:

• Cache Control and green-eyed like this

#15 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

nothing too amazing about mine.... I have green eyes, therefore, I am green-eyed. 

powerdog02 got his name from our beloved retired racing greyhound named "kb's power plan" or power.  we often called him power dog.  the dog camped with us a few times and took some good hikes in state parks.  so after power passed away shortly before we started caching, he honored his friend with our nickname for the dog, plus his birthyear.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#16 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

Is that the one you had in mind gsguru?

• KeyResults likes this

#17 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

In 1985, I was convicted of spraying / writing grafitti about the Houston Oilers on the side of the Astrodome, and I spent the next four years in a Texas prison learning how to pick up the soap with my toes. Seemed like a good enough moniker for a caching name, so I ran with it.

The truth is much less interesting than that. I got me one of them there college degrees in Teknical Kommunikations and spent several years as a teknical riter. When online forums and message boards started getting popular in the 90's, I needed a screen name, and it seemed like a lot of people used one that was a combination of where they lived and what they did for a living. Since I don't have many original ideas, I decided to follow suit. I never seemed to have any competition for that name when I needed a screen name, so I continued using it when I needed one. When I started caching, it was just too easy to stay in the same rut and not be original. Besides, booger was already taken.

• Jhawk! likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#18 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

How did you get your geocaching name?

Not sure how I missed that but thanks for locating it. Sorry for duping the topic folks.

#19 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

How did you get your geocaching name?

Not sure how I missed that but thanks for locating it. Sorry for duping the topic folks.

There's a reference to an older story in that thread.  I think the search function only goes back around a year or so.

I had remembered answering the question before.

#20 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

I actually started the "amberita" name with creating an Instagram account as a play on my real name, Amber.

At that moment in time I was feeling very "Jimmy Buffet-like"...

"It's 5 o'clock somewhere"

"Margaritaville"

"Cheeseburger in Paradise"

...really just daydreaming of sunny, carefree days with a drink in my hand.

Plus, I like palindromic words and symmetry in general, so at first glance it appears symmetrical.

Of course plain "amberita" was taken, so the 13 just designates the year that I started.

PS: If anyone would like to create an amber-colored margarita in my honor I'd be very impressed!  :wub: 

Edited by amberita13, 26 February 2014 - 09:15 PM.

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users