20 replies to this topic

#1 Zor

Zor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

Hello Houston Cachers!

I'm going to be in Houston on business during the week of April 7th. I'm likely to be staying at the Doubletree on Dallas for the week and am looking to possibly host an event to meet some local cachers. Is there anyone here who could make a suggestion on a location that I would be able to use? A small restaurant, coffee shop, etc in that area would be perfect. I've never been to Houston except to connect through the airport so I'm actually pretty excited to see the area and hopefully meet some locals.

Would anybody be able to provide some suggestions or point me in the right direction?

- Zor

#2 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

If you are free at lunchtime, there is an event nearly every week at the Flying Saucer on Main at Capitol.

There is a Club UFO event on week, an Alien Invasion event another and a XX Untested Taps event on another.  The Flying Saucer has a zillion beers and the taps number changes due to number needed to get your plate on the wall after 200 different ones.  Heftydude is on a mission with those.

If there is not an event that week - post one.  Any excuse to go to the Saucer!

If you are not available at lunchtime due to work, etc., let us know when you are and we'll help figure something out.

Also - how long are you here, and what kind of caching time will you have?

Posted Image

#3 Zor

Zor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

I arrive on April 6th, and return home on April 12th. 

I will only have the day I arrive for actual caching and my evenings which is why I thought it would be nice to meet some locals.

I'll look into seeing if I can do an event if none is listed. Thanks

#4 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

I'm assuming you have a car to drive around? If you like we can meet up and cache together after work?

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#5 Zor

Zor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

I won't have a vehicle. The client I am working at is very close so a car is somewhat unnecessary. 

I'd like to do an event to get a feel for the cachers in the area and then try to hit up as many virtuals and "must see" caches as I can. My days run until 5pm usually so whatever I'd go for has to be available during the evenings.

If I have this right, the Flying Saucer spot is the "Flying Saucer Draught Emporium"? correct? It looks like it's very close to the hotel and I could list an event there quite easily.

#6 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

I won't have a vehicle. The client I am working at is very close so a car is somewhat unnecessary. 

I'd like to do an event to get a feel for the cachers in the area and then try to hit up as many virtuals and "must see" caches as I can. My days run until 5pm usually so whatever I'd go for has to be available during the evenings.

If I have this right, the Flying Saucer spot is the "Flying Saucer Draught Emporium"? correct? It looks like it's very close to the hotel and I could list an event there quite easily.

OK, no problem. I do have a car, LOL.

I'm not sure if there are a lot of 'virtuals' in the downtown area, but there are plenty of caches. Problem could be that some of the area's downtown are not the 'best' in town to go wander around finding caches, especially after dark. But then again, don't let that stop you.

The Flying Saucer is indeed the same as the 'Flying Saucer Draught Emporium' and a very nice place to host an event.

If you'd like to do some caching outside of the DownTown area, just let me know. There's plenty of good ones to be found, and I'd be happy to play taxi-cache-host ;)

• KeyResults, green-eyed and amberita13 like this

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

#7 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

This is the place.  Post an event and they will come.

http://www.beerknurd...stores/houston/

• KeyResults likes this

#8 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

This is the place. Post an event and they will come.

I'm there. When is it?
Posted Image

#9 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

This is the place. Post an event and they will come.

I'm there. When is it?

I would definately attend. All of the saucer events are at noon while I am at work but one in the evening would be fantastic ;-) **hint hint**

• JuleeD and amberita13 like this

#10 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

I agree with Dangerkitties... I work too far away so I can't make those events.  Looking forward to seeing when it would be.

• DangerKitties likes this

#11 Zor

Zor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:25 AM

Event has been submitted. April 8th at 6pm. My work day finishes at 5 so I'll likely head back to the hotel, shower, change, then head over. 

• Great Birds likes this

#12 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

I noticed only person posted a will attend for this event, and poor Zor might be sitting all alone at his event.  Is anyone else planning to attend?  I would but it is kind of far for me to come back to town after having left the area for work for the day a couple hours before.  I wonder if others are in the same boat as me, and the timing just doesn't work?

come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#13 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

I noticed only person posted a will attend for this event, and poor Zor might be sitting all alone at his event.  Is anyone else planning to attend?  I would but it is kind of far for me to come back to town after having left the area for work for the day a couple hours before.  I wonder if others are in the same boat as me, and the timing just doesn't work?

I just posted my will attend. I thought I had done it already but I guess I didn't. Hopefully others will join!

#14 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:00 AM

It's a little too far for me to drive after work, but I wish I could attend... I love the Flying Saucer. Ya'll have a beer or six for me. ;-)

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#15 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,863 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

I'm going to try to make it.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#16 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

Oops, forgot to log my will attend too.....

#17 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Wish I could but the time conflicts with Boy Scouts. So hard for me to do evening events. But if there was ever a significant draw, the Saucer is it for me.
Posted Image

#18 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

Anyone else joining tonight?

#19 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

I was there for lunch, but have to take my son to scouts and won't be here that late.  :(  Tuesdsays.... Oh, well. 

Posted Image

#20 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

I now have Scouts on Monday AND Tuesday.  But congrats to PD02 for being elected his patrol leader last night...

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users