9 replies to this topic

#1 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Ok I have had a 62s and liked it.  I then sold it and got an Oregon 450.  It was nice but not as accurate as the 62s.  I lost the Oregon a few months back.  Now I need to replace it.  I am looking at the following,  Garmin only though.

62s

62st

Oregon 600

Or one that I have not thought of. 

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,306 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

http://www.lowrance....fari-en-us.aspx

Be a ginny-pig and let us know how the lowercase works out.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#3 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

http://www.lowrance....fari-en-us.aspx

Be a ginny-pig and let us know how the lowercase works out.

Nope not going to do it unless you pay for half.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:55 PM

Ok I have had a 62s and liked it.  I then sold it and got an Oregon 450.  It was nice but not as accurate as the 62s.  I lost the Oregon a few months back.  Now I need to replace it.  I am looking at the following,  Garmin only though.

62s

62st

Oregon 600

Or one that I have not thought of. 

I have a 62s and a Montana. I use the 62s almost all the time on the trail (I use the Montana for road navigation and caches relative to the area...and to hold my entire unfound list, which is more than the 62s can hold). I also use my Montana for a particular FTF run task, but I'll keep that one in my pocket for now. ;>) My wife has an Oregon 550. I don't care much for it, but don't tell her I said that (she's already going to cuff me in the head when she reads this, but I like to live dangerously). It's slower and less accurate IMHO. On the 62st, I think I remember KeyResults telling me that 2katz had one and it was problematic in ways his 62s wasn't (crash prone if I remember correctly).

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:47 AM

Oregon 650 and 550 here.  Both work as good as they can in my fumbling hands.

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:10 AM

Brent, I have a Oregon 550 I've been planning on putting on ebay for a while.   I don't care for the touchscreen so I upgraded to the 62s.   I thought having the extra one for the kids was useful, but that never panned out.  Make an offer if you are interested.

That said, I was really impressed by the 600 that Taz had when we went to Geowoodstock last year. Very impressed.

Posted Image

#7 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

If you cache with a GPS enabled smart phone and good app in your pocket, the 62s remains a heckuva radio to accurately point the way, especially in canopy forest, and do so for 25-30 hours on a single set of Eneloops, With embedded systems, finding bugs takes time on new products. It's just the way things are. Nearly all kinks have long been worked out on the 62s. If you can live wo touch screen and wifi etc., 62s remains king in my mind.
I've seen some refurbs going for 199 w warranty on occasion. Thought about buying a second myself;)

• TexasWriter likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#8 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

If you cache with a GPS enabled smart phone and good app in your pocket, the 62s remains a heckuva radio to accurately point the way, especially in canopy forest, and do so for 25-30 hours on a single set of Eneloops, With embedded systems, finding bugs takes time on new products. It's just the way things are. Nearly all kinks have long been worked out on the 62s. If you can live wo touch screen and wifi etc., 62s remains king in my mind.
I've seen some refurbs going for 199 w warranty on occasion. Thought about buying a second myself;)

This is what I did for so long.  The Iphon 5 GPS is very accurate if you let it settle down, however when I am walking in the woods or in a kayak it is a lot easier to have the GPS.  Funny thing is I paid $375 for two NIB 62s units three years ago.  Sold one on ebay for $280 and kept the other then sold it when I purchased the Oregon 450 for $199 two years ago.  Maybe I will go crazy and buy a magellan.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

Someone who had posted on these sites earlier (but doesn't seem to be active anymore) got into geocaching because he worked at a pawn shop and someone had pawned a GPSr.  You might find a good deal that way.

• green-eyed likes this

#10 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

Someone who had posted on these sites earlier (but doesn't seem to be active anymore) got into geocaching because he worked at a pawn shop and someone had pawned a GPSr.  You might find a good deal that way.

Thanks as I troll pawn shops a lot.  Grandfather owned one for over 35 years so its in the blood.

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users