#41 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Another FTFC puzzle:  GC1TTJB - FTFC #89 It's not Binary

Good luck with that one. It's a 500-foot bushwhack, and I spent a long time looking for it. No logs or CO checks on it since then....

The problem is that you went after Raven "re-hid it better than found".   :knuppel2:    

I considered that afterward (actually during the search too), and I've considered going back to look for it with a shovel, pick axe, iron rake, and maybe even some dynamite sticks.

I seem to remember that the cache was off coordinate by a good bit (50 to 80').

It was a decent bushwack, too!  

My route out was a little easier, almost going due north to the trail.

Yeah, if it was that far off, then it bears another look from me. It was sweltering hot out there, I remember that.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#42 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:41 AM

Hefty - Let me know when you are going on a maintenance run and I will go with you (if you can go out while the kids are in school!)

Yea, count me in too! Well, if I can get out of work that is.

As for the event: there's also a quite a few caches in the S. Pic-nic (Yes, I know some of them are mine...) area, and to host an event there you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of coordinating with the Arboretum.

On the other hand, they might appreciate a CITO more :)

I'm willing to help put new ones out there too! I'd like to have a letterbox like Elmdor's and possibly a WheriGo?

Hans,

It would be great to add a Whereigo!!  Keep us informed!!!

• KeyResults likes this

#43 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

I had thought we would meet at the arboretum to avoid Baytown Bert's long lines for peeing behind trees.  Someone else suggested just tailgating - or maybe a picnic table?  Anyone feel strongly on this?  I am going to be doing a recon mission today into the park (jog) so I would like to take a look at spots and get my event into the queue. 

#44 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

I had thought we would meet at the arboretum to avoid Baytown Bert's long lines for peeing behind trees.  Someone else suggested just tailgating - or maybe a picnic table?  Anyone feel strongly on this?  I am going to be doing a recon mission today into the park (jog) so I would like to take a look at spots and get my event into the queue. 

I guess you could pee behind a tailgate or a picnic table, but I'd opt for the trees and bushes. Why don't you test it out on your recon mission? Lol

#45 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

I guess you could pee behind a tailgate or a picnic table, but I'd opt for the trees and bushes. Why don't you test it out on your recon mission? Lol

We are still recovering from the drought of 2011. Every little bit (drip) helps.

Posted Image

#46 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

Another FTFC puzzle:  GC1TTJB - FTFC #89 It's not Binary

Good luck with that one. It's a 500-foot bushwhack, and I spent a long time looking for it. No logs or CO checks on it since then....

There is an easy way to this one.  Should be a 20' bushwhack. Look for an entry point to a gully around this very rough estimate N29°45.485' W095°26.975'.  The gully wends its way parallel with the bayou over to the final GZ.  There were a few downed trees to climb over, but nothing difficult. You will end up coming in south of GZ.

Posted Image

#47 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,374 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:35 AM

If you do it at the arboretum just make sure everyone has moved their cars out of the arboretum by closing time, which I think is 5 p.m.   I would hate to have some people go off group caching and forget to move their cars and then get locked in.  

Posted Image

#48 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

If you do it at the arboretum just make sure everyone has moved their cars out of the arboretum by closing time, which I think is 5 p.m.   I would hate to have some people go off group caching and forget to move their cars and then get locked in.

Since myself and three children were locked into the park at Herman looking for that Panda cache I should always be aware of gates! Best part of the story is that we didn't know we were locked in and had to be informed of our predicament. That shows true awareness of your surroundings.

I am waiting on r1 to figure out his travel schedule and then I can get the event in the queue. How hard is to book a trip to china? I think he is trying to maximize countries to get our last 3 for han's challenge cache.

#49 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

Since myself and three children were locked into the park at Herman looking for that Panda cache I should always be aware of gates! Best part of the story is that we didn't know we were locked in and had to be informed of our predicament. That shows true awareness of your surroundings.

I am waiting on r1 to figure out his travel schedule and then I can get the event in the queue. How hard is to book a trip to china? I think he is trying to maximize countries to get our last 3 for han's challenge cache.

I think when you book travel based on caching goals it indicates some sort of obsession. Never mind that our entire honeymoon trip last summer was mapped out according to the placement of cool virtuals and earthcaches, and that the hotel I picked to stay at in Irving, TX next week was selected purely on its proximity to a hike and bike series. Or that all my business trips / routes are planned out around cache locations, times of availability, etc. Or that I bow out of after hours group dinners while business traveling so that I can cache the areas instead. It's all you other people that are obsessed....not me. :D

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

#50 Rambetta

Rambetta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

I think when you book travel based on caching goals it indicates some sort of obsession. Never mind that our entire honeymoon trip last summer was mapped out according to the placement of cool virtuals and earthcaches, and that the hotel I picked to stay at in Irving, TX next week was selected purely on its proximity to a hike and bike series. Or that all my business trips / routes are planned out around cache locations, times of availability, etc. Or that I bow out of after hours group dinners while business traveling so that I can cache the areas instead. It's all you other people that are obsessed....not me. :D

I am NOT obsessed, :notme: (booking a trip to China is a piece of cake)

I would NEVER plan a trip for the sake of caching  (Except for maybe Peru, or China and...HMmmmmmmm.....!!!)

My garmin is loaded with approx. 534 caches (everything there is in China -just in case); and my tablet has some great street maps for the country marked with caches near where we will be -- for off-line use.  We leave on Tuesday for Beijing, Xi'an and Singapore.  :P

Researching a trip South for the 'Ape Cache' if anybody is interested in a trip... (haven't found a good deal to get there yet. It was MUCH cheaper to go to China...)

• TexasWriter and rozowski5 like this

#51 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

I am NOT obsessed, :notme: (booking a trip to China is a piece of cake)

I would NEVER plan a trip for the sake of caching  (Except for maybe Peru, or China and...HMmmmmmmm.....!!!)

My garmin is loaded with approx. 534 caches (everything there is in China -just in case); and my tablet has some great street maps for the country marked with caches near where we will be -- for off-line use.  We leave on Tuesday for Beijing, Xi'an and Singapore.  :P

Researching a trip South for the 'Ape Cache' if anybody is interested in a trip... (haven't found a good deal to get there yet. It was MUCH cheaper to go to China...)

RAMBETTA - R1 signed a log in China that had your name on it.  He recognized you from the Kitty Hollow Event.  What a small world!! 

#52 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

So all you more experienced Event planners, please chime in here.  I have a MMMM event planned for this Sunday at 9am in Memorial Park.  There is also a large art festival (I just found out the dates are the same) going on concurrently at the park.  From what I can tell it is like when the trail riders come in and all the parking is closed.  I think traffic will be a beast and that all in all that will make reaching the event much more of a hassle than anyone would want to do.  Besides Dhaulghiri who could ride his bike in from his house but he is Dutch and thinks weird things like that. 

So my choices seem to be

1) cancel the whole thing

2) move to another park

3) move to a nearby restaurant

4) change to the next weekend

any other ideas?  What is and is not allowed in the changing of event info?

We could all just drive out to TW's event in the NW and crash that party!

#53 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

So all you more experienced Event planners, please chime in here.  I have a MMMM event planned for this Sunday at 9am in Memorial Park.  There is also a large art festival (I just found out the dates are the same) going on concurrently at the park.  From what I can tell it is like when the trail riders come in and all the parking is closed.  I think traffic will be a beast and that all in all that will make reaching the event much more of a hassle than anyone would want to do.  Besides Dhaulghiri who could ride his bike in from his house but he is Dutch and thinks weird things like that. 

So my choices seem to be

1) cancel the whole thing

2) move to another park

3) move to a nearby restaurant

4) change to the next weekend

any other ideas?  What is and is not allowed in the changing of event info?

We could all just drive out to TW's event in the NW and crash that party!

No crashing necessary. Y'all c'mon over if that's what works best for you.

#54 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

I was able to talk to the Arboretum and got permission for us to cache (more importantly PARK there) Sunday morning.  Then PR was nice enough to let me change the event coordinates so the party is again on!  We may still need more partying and go visit the other events that night...

I will send out an announcement and update the cache page.  :) Thanks again to Amberita for letting me know about the Art Festival.  

• Dhaulaghiri, green-eyed and amberita13 like this

#55 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

Cool beans. Way to be a CO and take charge. You go girl. The arboretum is a wonderful spot and has nice trails. I wish I could attend and show You all my trail to FTFC 89 - it's not binary.
  • rozowski5 likes this
Posted Image

#56 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

Cool beans. Way to be a CO and take charge. You go girl. The arboretum is a wonderful spot and has nice trails. I wish I could attend and show You all my trail to FTFC 89 - it's not binary.

Hah, I think I used your trail, and it is indeed a good way to get to GZ. Once there however you are probably gonna need a metal detector to find the cache! I was over at GZ for almost an hour and failed to find anything remotely resembling a cache, grmbl.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#57 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

Could be a gonner...
Posted Image

#58 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:15 AM

I didn't see it either when I went to look for it, and I was out there a good while. But, as Muddy Buddies mentioned, Raven hid it better than he found it, and some of us know what that can mean. :)  I talked to Raven on the phone while I was out there, and unless it's completely buried or way off coords, it seems to be gone. I could be wrong, though....

#59 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

I didn't see it either when I went to look for it, and I was out there a good while. But, as Muddy Buddies mentioned, Raven hid it better than he found it, and some of us know what that can mean. :)  I talked to Raven on the phone while I was out there, and unless it's completely buried or way off coords, it seems to be gone. I could be wrong, though....

Yea, I'd read the previous logs and kinda anticipated a harder search then normal... but the problem with the area is the tree coverage messing with the GPSr signal AND the HUGE abundance of possible hiding spots  :startled:

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#60 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

We going to try for it on Sunday? Donna was asking today what the plan. I think we may need to stay on the arboretum side because of the festival but I am not sure. I guess we will figure that out Sunday morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users