63 replies to this topic

#21 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

Great, it is good to hear there is some support for a Memorial Park event. I will get it in the queue this week. I am going to call the arboretum center and talk to them first. I think it would be fun if we have some caches pop the day of the event - who is interested in helping with that effort? Do we just coordinate them with PR?

I will help with that. Be sure to ask the arboretum to place caches on their property. There are some open spots in there. I've been wanting to do a multi in there (well it was going to be in Memorial but I have my spot to another project in the works).
Posted Image

#22 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

Back on the south side there are very few muggles that get back to the Buffalo Bayou Overlook cache. It's actually pretty easy to get there but only Tx Writer has gone back there since I adopted it.
  • rozowski5 likes this
Posted Image

#23 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

Hefty - Let me know when you are going on a maintenance run and I will go with you (if you can go out while the kids are in school!)

Edited by rozowski5, 11 February 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#24 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

Back on the south side there are very few muggles that get back to the Buffalo Bayou Overlook cache. It's actually pretty easy to get there but only Tx Writer has gone back there since I adopted it.

Yeah, he's kind of stupid that way. :)

It's nice back there, but I think the hike length turns some people away, which is unfortunate. Maybe re-title it as Buffalo Bayou LPC and more people will come after it. :D

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#25 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

I need to refine my hike and bike trail overlay for my GPS for this park. MP has some nice bike trails.

LOL @ the Buffalo Bayou LPC. Waiting on BB to comment about driving up to it with his Jeep :)

Posted Image

#26 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

Hefty - Let me know when you are going on a maintenance run and I will go with you (if you can go out while the kids are in school!)

Yea, count me in too! Well, if I can get out of work that is.

As for the event: there's also a quite a few caches in the S. Pic-nic (Yes, I know some of them are mine...) area, and to host an event there you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of coordinating with the Arboretum.

On the other hand, they might appreciate a CITO more :)

I'm willing to help put new ones out there too! I'd like to have a letterbox like Elmdor's and possibly a WheriGo?

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#27 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

Here's a couple of easy puzzles to solve before your outing.  OK, easy for me...

http://coord.info/GC1DPCM

http://coord.info/GC1PAFJ

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#28 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:16 AM

I was part of a memorial Mob day or two.  We started with a "breakfast" even of a box of donuts on a tailgate.  The day included spending an inordinate amount of time finding the smallest container I had seen up to that time. Then there was the fence.  My map of Memorial park used to be all smileys.  That has has been a while so I am up for another day of caching there.

• rozowski5 likes this

#29 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:57 AM

I've never known the arboretum to be in need of a CITO.  It seems to stay pretty clean.  I'd say to keep the event in Memorial Park rather than the arboretum.  You have a bigger playing field to sent cachers all over the the park in small groups to cache.  Another chance to be in a mob again.

Posted Image

#30 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:01 AM

A must do puzzle:   GCH9TV - Sounds of the Sixties

A couple of my puzzles:  both on the northwest side of the park.

GC199W3 - FTFC #49 - Rock Around the Clock

GC199PF - 20-20 Hindsight

Another FTFC puzzle:  GC1TTJB - FTFC #89 It's not Binary

This one might still be there, but some of the clues are missing:  

GC111X3 - The Greatest Game Ever Played.

Posted Image

#31 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

Then there was the fence....

What fence?

a89b1e78-81b9-4f15-8915-00f1bf515aa8.jpg

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#32 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Guess the sign must have read "Trespassers will be FTF'd to the fullest extent possible".

• Dhaulaghiri likes this
Posted Image

#33 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

Sometimes I see signs on fences like that and it's not clear if I'm tresspassing currently or if I go over the fence.  Maybe I need to go over the fence so I'm not tresspassing.  It all gets so confusing.  ;)  So I cross when needed and will plead ambiguity.

• TexasWriter, Dhaulaghiri, green-eyed and 1 other like this
Posted Image

#34 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

Good luck with that one. It's a 500-foot bushwhack, and I spent a long time looking for it. No logs or CO checks on it since then....

#35 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

Sometimes I see signs on fences like that and it's not clear if I'm tresspassing currently or if I go over the fence.  Maybe I need to go over the fence so I'm not tresspassing.  It all gets so confusing.  ;)  So I cross when needed and will plead ambiguity.

"But officer, the cache is just on the other side.  And it is sucha long way around."

And there was also the trip to the emergency room for one of the cachers whose previous fence climb had been in childhood.

#36 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

Good luck with that one. It's a 500-foot bushwhack, and I spent a long time looking for it. No logs or CO checks on it since then....

The problem is that you went after Raven "re-hid it better than found".   :knuppel2:    

Posted Image

#37 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

"But officer, the cache is just on the other side.  And it is sucha long way around."

And there was also the trip to the emergency room for one of the cachers whose previous fence climb had been in childhood.

I've got what appears to be permanent scars on my left forearm from eating it while going over a fence for a cache... Wet boots....it was a humbling experience...

#38 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

The problem is that you went after Raven "re-hid it better than found".   :knuppel2:

Hmmmmm..... I solved the puzzle, but still haven't gotten around to go and search for it.... Maybe tomorrow if the sun stays out!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#39 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

I considered that afterward (actually during the search too), and I've considered going back to look for it with a shovel, pick axe, iron rake, and maybe even some dynamite sticks.

#40 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

I considered that afterward (actually during the search too), and I've considered going back to look for it with a shovel, pick axe, iron rake, and maybe even some dynamite sticks.

I seem to remember that the cache was off coordinate by a good bit (50 to 80').

It was a decent bushwack, too!  

My route out was a little easier, almost going due north to the trail.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users