• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

Brent (log dawgs) was telling me last week that there used to be a regular Event at Memorial Park called Memorial Mob.  I would like to plan an Event there where we do some CITO, check on & clean up the caches in the area, and maybe place a few new ones.  Is anyone interested in planning this?  It could be reoccurring if we have a lot of interest.  Memorial Park is doing its best to recover from the drought and it could use some TLC from the local cachers.  I was thinking March time frame.  I know a lot of you are involved in the Texas Challenge so we would avoid that weekend and spring break and shoot for March 30th. 

#2 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

My limited experience with this park is it is crowded. I avoid those kind of places. :( Good luck with your project though.

TXGA SETX Representative

#3 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

My limited experience with this park is it is crowded. I avoid those kind of places. :( Good luck with your project though.

How can someone who puts on large geocaching classes not like crowds? 

• TexasWriter and Dhaulaghiri like this
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

If Memorial park was crowded with geocachers, it might be differant. Memorial Park reminds me of Austin. I tried to take a leak behind a tree and I had to stand in line.
  • mztrob, log dawgs, Cache Control and 1 other like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#5 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

I don't remember any recurring events at Memorial Park.

There was a couple of one-off events a long time ago.

There was a caching group mashup that called themselves the Memorial Mob, for a 1 day caching run of the park.  

I believe they hid a cache that had "Memorial Mob" somewhere in the name.

When I get home and have access to my GSAK database, then I can further research.

Posted Image

#6 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

There was a caching group mashup that called themselves the Memorial Mob, for a 1 day caching run of the park.  

When I get home and have access to my GSAK database, then I can further research.

GCZWY9 The Memorial Park Mob Memorial Cache

It's archived now...

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#7 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

We had a Memorial Mob event one year, we did all the caches in the park, led by Rich and Lola.  I think that was the second time I met them.  I do not recall us making an event out of it, I think we just planned to meet on HGCS and people showed up to the *Hiking Day of Fun*.  It was fun.

It would be nice to revisit the area, I am sure it has changed quite a bit since I was last there.

#8 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

R5, build it and they will come. :)

• KeyResults likes this

#9 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,691 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

It's archived now...

There's a story behind that cache -- ask me about it sometime. I archived it because it got bulldozed. Log Dawgs later found the somewhat damaged ammo can and is holding it for me. Maybe I can replace it near GZ and get it un-archived (if there is no conflict with another cache).

The Memorial Park Mob was the name we used to sign the log during a one-day mashup. That was it.

Edited by HoustonControl, 10 February 2014 - 02:15 PM.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#10 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

It's archived now...

There's a story behind that cache -- ask me about it sometime. I archived it because it got bulldozed. Log Dawgs later found the somewhat damaged ammo can and is holding it for me. Maybe I can replace it near GZ and get it un-archived (if there is no conflict with another cache).

The Memorial Park Mob was the name we used to sign the log during a one-day mashup. That was it.

Speaking of the can.  I banged on it a bit and it now closes.  However, I would never place it in the wild again.  It might be a good display piece for the garage etc. 

Oh and I think I confused myself and R5 with the Memorial Park Mob, however I think it is a good idea and maybe can become a regular monthly or quarterly event.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

It's archived now...

Ah, I remember that story now. I didn't look at whose cache it was. It all comes full circle.

Good luck getting that ammo can back. He discovered a couple missing over the weekend, so he'll probably take yours. :stirpot:

#12 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

Ha, we were posting at the same time. See, I told you he'd take it. Lol

#13 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

Well I meant for HC when I give it back to him.  I have only seen him once since I found it and that was unexpectantly.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,691 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

There is a letterbox hybrid cache now sitting right where my cache used to be.... but it appears to be missing.

Edited by HoustonControl, 10 February 2014 - 09:07 PM.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#15 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

Brent (log dawgs) was telling me last week that there used to be a regular Event at Memorial Park called Memorial Mob.  I would like to plan an Event there where we do some CITO, check on & clean up the caches in the area, and maybe place a few new ones.  Is anyone interested in planning this?  It could be reoccurring if we have a lot of interest.  Memorial Park is doing its best to recover from the drought and it could use some TLC from the local cachers.  I was thinking March time frame.  I know a lot of you are involved in the Texas Challenge so we would avoid that weekend and spring break and shoot for March 30th. 

Excellent idea!!!!

Although some area's of Memorial Park can be exceptionally crowded, there are still plenty of area's where you can still walk around relatively unbothered by muggles.

I guess sometimes picked the right day/time/season can help  :coolsmiley: !

I would be in for sure, gives me another great reason for maintenance on my Memorial Loop caches and that will guarantee smilies for whoever hasn't found them yet!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#16 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

I wouldn't mind doing Memorial Park again. My son in law and I did a few trails on our MTB's and grabbed a few caches, but still plenty left to get.

Posted Image

#17 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

I would enjoy geocaching anything South of Memorial Drive as I've only done 4 near the highest muggle areas & am amazed there's still a lot more back there!

We're there every Saturday morning running anyway, so hopping over to do Geocaching after would be fun  :)

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#18 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,359 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:05 AM

When we first started caching it seemed like most of the caches were placed in Memorial Park because it was so central in Houston. There were complaints by geocachers as to "why do all of the caches have to be hidden in Memorial Park?"  Geocaching has come a long way since then and has really expanded.  We do still have 4 caches ourselves in Memorial Park but we rarely make it down that way because like Baytown Bert says, it's too crowded and we are usually going a different direction for our caching.  I do like caching in Memorial Park though once you are parked and into the woods.  It's only light bushwacking and usually not thorny.  

• KeyResults likes this
Posted Image

#19 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

Great, it is good to hear there is some support for a Memorial Park event.  I will get it in the queue this week.  I am going to call the arboretum center and talk to them first.  I think it would be fun if we have some caches pop the day of the event - who is interested in helping with that effort?  Do we just coordinate them with PR? 

#20 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

There is a letterbox hybrid cache now sitting right where my cache used to be.... but it appears to be missing.

That is my sons cache. Problems persist with muggles in that area. When I found your cache prior to the drought, it was quite thorny to get there. Now it isn't much of a problem to get to it so perhaps kids are hanging there and making a nuisance of themselves.

He wants to move it to somewhere else, so that spot will open up if someone wants it. It's a placeholder for now. I've lost two ammo cans to that location in too short of a time.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users