#1 Robin_1

Robin_1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

Hey cachers,

Over the weekend I was working multis in the George Mitchell Preserve, here in the Woodlands, and at one of the stages of a multi-cache I found a cache container with a wet log book and some old mostly musty and moldy swag in it.

The multi I was searching for was hidden in late 2011 so I'm thinking this cache that I found had to have been an archived cache from prior to the hiding of this multi.

Cache container was a round snap lid plastic container that was wrapped in camo duct tape.  The lid seemed to be in pretty good shape even though it seemed flimsy, thus probably the reason the log was wet and all the swag moldy.

Anyway, do any of you have in your found logs a traditional or final cache (multi, mystery, etc...) that is found close to N 30 09.684 W 095 31.249?

Thanks!

Jeff

#2 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:13 AM

Hey cachers,

Over the weekend I was working multis in the George Mitchell Preserve, here in the Woodlands, and at one of the stages of a multi-cache I found a cache container with a wet log book and some old mostly musty and moldy swag in it.

The multi I was searching for was hidden in late 2011 so I'm thinking this cache that I found had to have been an archived cache from prior to the hiding of this multi.

Cache container was a round snap lid plastic container that was wrapped in camo duct tape.  The lid seemed to be in pretty good shape even though it seemed flimsy, thus probably the reason the log was wet and all the swag moldy.

Anyway, do any of you have in your found logs a traditional or final cache (multi, mystery, etc...) that is found close to N 30 09.684 W 095 31.249?

Thanks!

Jeff

The only thing I see around those coordinates is Tribute to Trea for #5000 - A Bison in the Woods, but I assume that's the one you were hunting.  My records for that area go back quite a few years, but it could be a really old one or perhaps an ancient letterbox.  Were any of the names in the log legible?  There could be some clues if we could identify who found it and/or what the time frame was.

#3 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:11 AM

I also took a look in my found cache database and nothing comes to mind, unless it floated in from a Spring Creek flood episode.  

Posted Image

#4 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

I did a quick look at the active letterboxes in The Woodlands area, and only one is in Mitchell, bu since the directions place it near Bedias Lake, that's not likely it either.

#5 rathergohiking

rathergohiking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

I've hidden quite a few caches in that area.  Most are still active and are unique containers - not as you described, except for "Got the Ring?" and it was found two days ago.   I checked your coordinates on Google Earth and where you found it is a very remote area of the preserve.

Not all who wander are lost......JRR Tolkien

#6 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

Jeff,

I wonder if that is one that relocated from around Bedias or Oxbow Lake? Last time Kelly and I were in the preserve we went pretty deep past Bedias Lake and were frustrated at the number of geocaches that seemed to be missing or relocated by the elements. I'm unfamiliar with the area, but it looked to me like it could flood really well every now and then so Ma Nature could relocate some containers ;)

Just for grins I'd expand the search quite a bit for container type clues or any legible names in the logs. I found a previously tethered ammo can nearly a mile away from original gz near cypress creek once, so I cannot imagine it would be hard for a small plastic container to take a nice cruise at lease that far.

It would be really cool if you can figure it out. With all the long time GSAK folks on here with gazillions of smiley's and cache log history, a full text search might pay off with one of them.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#7 Robin_1

Robin_1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

I went back today to retrieve the mystery cache and found it right where I left it.  I retrieved it and later down the trail I ran into Indy! and HoustonHerp.  They both verified their signatures were authentic on the very soggy log. 

After taking the soggy log sheet back home and drying it out I found that all but the first signors on the log were signors who had found the multi-cache that I was referencing my original post. 

The other and only remaining names were the names of Greatscots & Geodrk who collectively signed the log on 2/25/2009.

When I go and look for these cachers I find a geodrks (plural) but this cacher has zero finds and hasn't logged on since his/her account was created on Wednesday, 09 February 2011.  The other user Greatscotts has been a member since Friday, 04 January 2008 but only has 4 finds, all on 11/16/2013 and all in the state of Mississippi.

There was also a user GreatScotts5 that I checked out but that user id has zero finds and was registered after the date on the log sheet.

Looks like a deadend, unless this is a former letterbox, but don't those normally include a rubber stamp, like our letterbox hybrids?

Any other thoughts out there?

Jeff

#8 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

We were in the area today, and I have nothing to add to the question at hand.

I decided to comment at all, because as we walked over the bridge over Spring Creek, I saw a Halloween style "headstone" (with RIP and a ghost on it) amongst the flotsam on the west side of the creek just down stream from the bridge.  It looked to me like the kind of thing that had probably come from a geocache.  I went down to take a look, but the creek bank was a bit too muddy for my idle curiosity.  I thought I should make a comment about it hear just in case anyone says "oh that's where it went to".

It will probably be there until the next rain.

#9 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

We were in the area today, and I have nothing to add to the question at hand.

I decided to comment at all, because as we walked over the bridge over Spring Creek, I saw a Halloween style "headstone" (with RIP and a ghost on it) amongst the flotsam on the west side of the creek just down stream from the bridge.  It looked to me like the kind of thing that had probably come from a geocache.  I went down to take a look, but the creek bank was a bit too muddy for my idle curiosity.  I thought I should make a comment about it hear just in case anyone says "oh that's where it went to".

It will probably be there until the next rain.

I was in the preserve as well today on the east side though.  I will head over to the other area and look for the Robin1 cache next week.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:17 AM

I went back today to retrieve the mystery cache and found it right where I left it.  I retrieved it and later down the trail I ran into Indy! and HoustonHerp.  They both verified their signatures were authentic on the very soggy log. 

After taking the soggy log sheet back home and drying it out I found that all but the first signors on the log were signors who had found the multi-cache that I was referencing my original post. 

The other and only remaining names were the names of Greatscots & Geodrk who collectively signed the log on 2/25/2009.

When I go and look for these cachers I find a geodrks (plural) but this cacher has zero finds and hasn't logged on since his/her account was created on Wednesday, 09 February 2011.  The other user Greatscotts has been a member since Friday, 04 January 2008 but only has 4 finds, all on 11/16/2013 and all in the state of Mississippi.

There was also a user GreatScotts5 that I checked out but that user id has zero finds and was registered after the date on the log sheet.

Looks like a deadend, unless this is a former letterbox, but don't those normally include a rubber stamp, like our letterbox hybrids?

Any other thoughts out there?

Jeff

My guess would be The Great Scotts who were active in the area at that time (now in LaGrange I believe) and very likely geojrh.  They did some caching together on 2/25/09, but I can't find a cache that they found that day that would seem to fit with the one that you located.

• KeyResults likes this

#11 Robin_1

Robin_1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:37 AM

I guess we'll never know.  I did check The Great Scotts' logs around 2/25/208 and there were none.  The other cacher as signed is not Roger (geojrh) as the signature is clearly geodrk.

Thanks all for your comments!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users